• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Guide Guide to Criticism

Lively

District 13
Reaction score
I've been on these forums for a fair amount of time, and you've probably seen me around. As some of may know I am a writer. I've also been an active contributor on multiple writing communities. Because of this, I take criticism very seriously. On a few different thread on these forums, I've seen some horrible criticism and horrible reactions to criticism. So I thought I would take some time and make a guide to criticism.

Here are the most important things to remember when writing criticism:
  1. Be respectful.
  2. Don't be a jerk. You don't have to be nice, but don't be a complete dork.
  3. Do not attack the creator of the content.
Here are some things to remember when taking criticism:
  1. Respect other people's opinions.
  2. Don't be disheartened if you get negative feedback.
  3. Pay particular attention to people who have significant experience in what your content deals with.
Those are the basic rules. Here are a few detailed explanations and a few other tips:
  • If you have no positive feedback to say, say it anyways. We want people to improve, not to butter their ego. Pointing out flaws in an idea can show them what they did wrong. If you say that everything is perfect, then they will think that everything is perfect, even if there are flaws. But remember, be respectful.
    • Note: People who are being critiqued, do not expect people to only give positive feedback that is not negative whatsoever. This can severely hurt you because you aren't willing to listen to feedback, even when it's constructive.
  • Make sure your feedback is constructive in nature. Saying, "This map sucks," or "this is the worst idea I've ever seen," is not constructive criticism. Constructive criticism means that you want to help make the content better. It can be both positive and negative. If you want to post that you don't like a map or idea, give a reason why or a way to make it better.
  • I'm going to elaborate on insulting the creator of the map, idea, or thread. Pretend the thread just popped out of the aether, fully formed. Don't even think about the person who created it, except in an abstract sense. Talk about what is actually in the thread that does or doesn't work, and go from there. Tell the OP, "This needs work, the idea's fine except X." Don't say, "You're a terrible person. Why did you make this?" Other no-no phrases to avoid are: "You're only making this map because you want VIP," "All of these tips are useless, you're an idiot for posting these," or "I just posted this idea. You're a thief for taking my idea."
    • Note: On my last example, unless they literally copy and pasted your thread, it is unlikely that they are stealing your idea.
Here are a few other tips that do not come up very often, but are helpful nonetheless:
  • Avoid dog piling on a very problematic thread. If twenty people have already said it's terrible, you don't need to drop in just to let people know that you think it's terrible too. If you have real criticism for it, that's fine. But you don't need to talk just to make yourself heard.
  • Don't post things like, "The problems with this thread should be obvious." If they were obvious to the creator, they wouldn't have made them. If you say something like that, you may as well not have posted. All you've accomplished is to obliquely call the author an idiot for not having seen the flaws. Keep in mind that a lot of people haven't been here long. They've played a fair number of games and read a few threads, but they haven't seen the ins and the outs of the community. They haven't had a chance to see the mechanics of how the forums work. What's obvious to you is probably not obvious to a new user.
  • As a person taking criticism, do not tell people to stop replying to your thread, unless they are harassing you. If they are harassing you, contact a staff member immediately. If they aren't harassing you, asking them to stop replying makes you seem petty, juvenile, and unable to take feedback.
Alright, that pretty much exhausts what I wanted to say. I will update this guide with relevant information when new issues come to light. If you find an error in this guide, please bring it to my attention and I will try my best to resolve it.

Thank you for your time,
-Lively

Zaex

Diamond
Reaction score
3rd! Good guide, Lively! :D This should be a guide.

EDIT: Done already..

Lively

District 13
Reaction score
3rd! Good guide, Lively! :D This should be a guide.

EDIT: Done already..
lol, it was already marked as a guide when I made the thread, so I decided to leave it as that.

Zaex

Diamond
Reaction score
lol, it was already marked as a guide when I made the thread, so I decided to leave it as that.
How does that work? Or rather, how does one get that?

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
Great guide :) Surprised no one has done something like this yet :p
One thing though:
Pay particular attention to people who have significant experience in what your content deals with.
I'm not sure if I completely agree with that, because in many cases, people without as much experience can give as good of an opinion as someone with it.

Lively

District 13
Reaction score
Great guide :) Surprised no one has done something like this yet :p
One thing though:

I'm not sure if I completely agree with that, because in many cases, people without as much experience can give as good of an opinion as someone with it.
Yeah, I get where you're coming from. I know for a fact that people who aren't knowledgeable can give great advice, but if a person who knows the subject matter quite well were to say something, chances are they are correct. I'm not trying to say "Compltely ignore a noobs opinion." I'm trying to tell people that those with experience probably know what they're talking about.

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
Yeah, I get where you're coming from. I know for a fact that people who aren't knowledgeable can give great advice, but if a person who knows the subject matter quite well were to say something, chances are they are correct. I'm not trying to say "Compltely ignore a noobs opinion." I'm trying to tell people that those with experience probably know what they're talking about.
But generally, if you're giving more attention to a specific thing, then you're not giving as much to the other(s). Either way, it's not that big of a deal :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci