• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

[Guide] MCSG PvP Tips and Tricks

K

KiDD

Yo, my name is KiDD and I've been quite active on the low of the MCG Network. People may or may not know me, but I believe I am a decent PvPer and have enough experience to teach others how to become better, if not, much better at MCSG PvP. This is an in-depth guide for those who may be completely new to MCSG PvP or PvP in general, or those who are quite experienced with PvP. I can understand how everyone may have their own strategies and will make their own guides, as some guides already exist on the forums. You can categorize this as a general MCSG PvP guide if you'd like, but I categorize this guide strictly as my personal tips and tricks. Well, here it is, I hope you can learn from it. :)

-

Before I begin, a few words of wisdom.

> Never Underestimate. Engage into a fight aware that the player that you will fight may be very experienced, and may know what he/she is doing. If you are cocky/brash with your actions while PvPing, you may lose the fight. Of course, never underestimate yourself.

> Don't be fearful. From personal experience, being afraid to carry out an action will result in failure, and you spazzing out over mistakes or seeing certain things that are rare in your eyes will result in a loss. If you feel like you cannot calm down or will be afraid while playing, do not play at that time.

> Have fun. I understand, it can be extremely frustrating, but whether a hacker is in your game, or a team of three, or even a team of three hackers, try your best to have fun and try to apply the following tips and tricks at all times to the best of your ability. After all, it's called the Survival Games for a reason.

> DON'T HACK/TOGGLE. DON'T DO IT.

-

Now, on to the actual tips and tricks.

-

SWORD

• Click speed. Click as fast enough to register the most hits you can, but do not do so too fast to where it affects physical state, in this case, the state your hand. You won't be able to tell exactly how fast your opponent will be clicking, so to combat this, strafe and click relatively fast.
  • Strafe. Strafing is a strategy that allows you to move swiftly around your opponent and get hits off your opponent while your opponent can't track your movement, and will be confused by your movement. You can strafe with the keys "a" and "d" on your keyboard. Try to get a good feel for how you're doing it, and add rhythm but make sure to track your opponents movements by following them with your crosshair. This will also increase awareness.
  • Criticals. Criticals will deal a significantly greater amount of damage than a normal hit, and will increase your chances of winning a fight even if you're under-geared. To perform a critical hit, click while falling down after jumping. Make sure you can see particles to indicate that you have performed a critical hit.
  • Blockhitting. Blockhitting may be regarded as a looked down upon strategy, but is actually a vital strategy. Block-hitting will reduce damage done by opponents and increase your chances of winning a fight regardless of your gear. The more a player strafes you while you're blockhitting, the less you're likely to win in a fight, so be careful. To block-hit, left click and right click at the same time, (Left Click to hit your opponent and right click to block.) Do not be surprised if you come out victorious in a fight you think you may lose in while using this strategy. Also, blockhitting is not ideal as a continuous strategy, as it slows your movement.

BOW
  • Lead your arrows. Drag your mouse into the direction the opposing player is moving into while shooting your bow. It will take practice, and you will have to be pretty good at knowing where your opponent will be moving to. Be as accurate as possible, aim your bow where your opponents are going.
  • Charging your bow. Offensively, it isn't very effective single charging your bow if you're trying to deal damage to your opponent. For maximum effectiveness, fully charge your bow.
  • Dodging arrows. It will be hard dodge arrows while shooting at your opponent, but to dodge successfully, do not jump. Swiftly move back and forth to confuse your opponent, and your primary goal while dodging is to make your opponent waste arrows. You can also block arrows by right clicking your sword to reduce damage done by your opponent.
  • Arrows. Make sure you are aware of the amount of arrows you have; not knowing the amount of arrows you have can result in miscalculation.
ROD
  • Stun. You can "Fishing rod stun" your opponent by knocking them back. Stunning your opponents stops them if they're running, and in mid-air is beneficial as it allows for more combos. This will allow you to hit them while they cannot hit you, because you have knocked them back.
  • The fishing rod stun is essential for combos, and is a vital and common strategy in MCSG PvP.
  • Infinite fishing rod. When using your rod, switch to another slot to avoid the rod losing durability.
  • Practice. Some people have trouble executing the stun for whatever, possibly because of connection or lack of practice. If you fight someone who is more experienced than you with the rod, chances are you aren't going to do so well, are survive by a sliver. So just practice at this, and I recommend hotkeying to switch items with ease.
FLINT & STEEL
  • Defense. Flint & Steel is strictly a defensive weapon against your opponents. Flint & Steel is vital for taking out teams, and will deal 8 "ticks" (4 hearts), (Remember: The actual ticks and amount of damage done by FnS can vary, so still, be careful.) of damage to your opponent.
  • Slow-down. If your opponent is attempting to escape, the "ticks" of damage will slow down your opponent so you can get hits off them.
  • Initiation. Flint & Steel is sometimes used to initiate fights and will sometimes scare players away, so you can gain offensive control.
  • Accuracy. Try to be as accurate as possible when lighting your flint & steel. Speed doesn't matter so much, although being speedy which your placements will be beneficial. 180 flint & steel placements will need to be fast and accurate.
  • Combination. Use the fishing rod in a variety of combos, and always, always, try to strafe while using the rod. It will increase your chances of actually landing an effective fishing rod stun.
Weapon Combinations
  • Sword + Fishing Rod. Knocking your opponent back with your rod and then attacking with your sword is a combo, and you should use it at all times.
  • Sword + Single Charged Bow. Single charging your bow is not effective to lower your opponents health, but is quite effective for knocking your opponent back, making for a great sword attack combo.
  • As you're probably guessing, there are many more combinations that you can use to your advantage in a fight, and the ones above are common combinations used by players.
Killing Hackers
  1. Defense. At most times, a hacker won't have just no knockback enabled, and will have other combat hacks enabled such as kill aura, forcefield and aimbot. You must be very defensive while attempting to defeat a hacker especially if they have most of the hacks enabled. Use Flint & Steel repetitively, and you're most likely going to need to bow spam the hacker, but use fully charged arrows for maximum effectiveness.
  2. Be careful. Hackers can kill you fast, so don't rush into fight against one. If you're fighting in a tight spot with a hacker and you're undergeared, you most likely will lose. Keep in mind, while trading hits with a hacker, they will most likely get more hits off you, and this is another reason why you must play defensive against a hacker.
  3. Timing. Time everything. Flint & Steel placements, bow shots, you must time your actions to the disadvantage of the hacker. At most times, the hacker won't be playing tactically, and will just rush in. This gives you the opportunity to play very defensively and tactically, so make sure you do so.
  4. Report them. If you find a hacker and have proof of them hacking, you can report them here, and they will be punished.
  5. All Sword/Bow/Rod/Flint & Still Tips and Tricks apply.
Killing Teams
  1. Defense. Be defensive. Since you are at a disadvantage having to fight and deal with multiple players at once, you must be tactical and defensive. Use Flint & Steel as it is vital for progressively lowering the teams health as well as killing them. If you a have a bow and some arrows, use them. Against a team, bow spamming is a strategy, as multiple people will be attacking you at once, and you want to attack multiple people at once by bow spamming.
  2. Split them up. No matter how large the team, you will need to split them up if they are decent players or have decent items.You will be able to take the team out one by one and successfully take the team out.
  3. All Sword/Bow/Rod/Flint & Still Tips and Tricks apply.
Inventory Arrangement
You can arrange items in whatever way you'd like, but make sure you do so accordingly so it will work with your hotkeys/mouse side buttons/scrolling.

Set up your inventory how you'd like, and in whatever ways you think would be effective for good PvP.

I use the following inventory arrangement:
Slot 1: Flint & Steel
Slot 2: Sword
Slot 3: Bow
Slot 4: Fishing Rod
Slot 5: Gapple(s) (If I have any.)
Slot 6: Carrot(s)
Slot 7: Food
Slot 8: Food
Slot 9: Arrow(s)

Some think that my inventory arrangement is very odd, especially because I hotkey, but I set it up randomly and I can't think of myself switching to a different setup. It works pretty well for me.

If you do hotkey, make sure you do so accurately, and also, muscle memory comes into play for me when hotkeying. If you want to hotkey and aren't the best at it, just practice it, I promise you will improve.

Psychological Application
As odd and exciting as this may or may not sound, with an acceptable amount of skill present, thinking a certain way may get you on the most ridiculous winning streak. This has always been a contributing factor to my success in this game, and if you do not lose, you will not win. Now you may be wondering, "Did that make any sense?", because after all, if you're not losing you're winning, and if you're not winning, you're losing of course. Or you may just be doing something different at the time. For a lot of people losing will get them thinking there's no point, and they must just quit playing for that day. Then for some others, they don't quit playing. One day I was playing, and was just losing game, after game, after game. I was sick of it and furious, so I played one last game, but this time, I won. I looked back at that game to see what happened, and I realized I was not thinking the same way I was when I was on a losing streak before. When you're not winning, you're losing. So when I was losing, psychologically, I somehow knew something would happen that would alter my chances of a win. Has it ever happened when you get home, play a game and win, then after you can simply just cannot win a game? It can be because you're thinking a new way while playing the game. In my case, I'm not thinking of what can go wrong and why I won't win. You kind of just need to completely disorientate any negativity or any irrelevant thoughts, and focus. Again, if you do not lose, you will not win. A streak is not going to last forever. Game after game just winning, for one, is not fun, and your mindset will change, possibly causing you to lose, which it most likely will. If you win games with a particular mindset, play with that mindset steadily and consistently. So you'll lose, and that's completely fine. Focus, on winning the game, not negativity and disadvantages. Listen to music, and chew some gum, it may help you.

Focus.

Common Knowledge
Know the map you're playing, and get a PvP feel for it. Try and get a chest route if you do not have one, as it will help you obtain better items throughout the game. You can look around YouTube and the MCG Forums for chest routes.

Maps I recommend knowing and getting a PvP feel for, as well as a chest route if you do not have one:
-

Holiday Resort
Valleyside University
Survival Games Highway
Survival Games 4
Solar Frost
Turbulence
Zone 85
Avaricia
Teweran Survival Games 2
Return of Moon Base 9
Icarus
Chernobyl 2015
Alaskan Village
Par 72

-
Do not target a player for the entire game; do not target in general.

Watch your hearts in a fight; you can die faster than you'd expect.

Adjust to your ping. Learn to play accordingly to your ping.

Stay aware. Turn your Minecraft volume up if needed.

And hey, use common sense.
-

Well, I think that sums it up for my MCSG PvP Tips and Tricks guide. I really do hope it encourages other players to become better and play MCSG legitimately.

I know players will benefit from this guide, and it'd be great to see feedback.

Anyways, I hope this helps, peace. :)

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Good guide... I have a few comments though.

Where you say "DON'T HACK/TOGGLE" reminds me of how many people actually toggle, they're high on the leaderboards too..
Yet another guide I see that doesn't have....

K

KiDD

Good guide... I have a few comments though.

Where you say "DON'T HACK/TOGGLE" reminds me of how many people actually toggle, they're high on the leaderboards too..
Yet another guide I see that doesn't have....
That's on them, if they're caught they'll be banned. Saddens me when people do this, especially people regarded as pretty skilled players.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Yo, my name is KiDD and I've been quite active on the low of the MCG Network. People may or may not know me, but I believe I am a decent PvPer and have enough experience to teach others how to become better, if not, much better at MCSG PvP. This is an in-depth guide for those who may be completely new to MCSG PvP or PvP in general, or those who are quite experienced with PvP. I can understand how everyone may have their own strategies and will make their own guides, as some guides already exist on the forums. You can categorize this as a general MCSG PvP guide if you'd like, but I categorize this guide strictly as my personal tips and tricks. Well, here it is, I hope you can learn from it. :)

-

Before I begin, a few words of wisdom.

> Never Underestimate. Engage into a fight aware that the player that you will fight may be very experienced, and may know what he/she is doing. If you are cocky/brash with your actions while PvPing, you may lose the fight. Of course, never underestimate yourself.

> Don't be fearful. From personal experience, being afraid to carry out an action will result in failure, and you spazzing out over mistakes or seeing certain things that are rare in your eyes will result in a loss.

> Have fun. I understand, it can be extremely frustrating, but whether a hacker is in your game, or a team of three, or even a team of three hackers, try your best to have fun and try to apply the following tips and tricks at all times to the best of your ability. After all, it's called the Survival Games for a reason.

> DON'T HACK/TOGGLE. DON'T DO IT.

-

Now, on to the actual tips and tricks.

-

SWORD

• Click speed. Click as fast as possible to register the most hits you can. You won't be able to tell exactly how fast your opponent will be clicking, so to combat this, strafe and click as fast as possible.
  • Strafe. Strafing is a strategy that allows you to move swiftly around your opponent and get hits off your opponent while your opponent can't track your movement, and will be confused by your movement. You can strafe with the keys "a" and "d" on your keyboard. Try to get a good feel for how you're doing it, and add rhythm but make sure to track your opponents movements by following them with your crosshair. This will also increase awareness.
  • Criticals. Criticals will deal a significantly greater amount of damage than a normal hit, and will increase your chances of winning a fight even if you're under-geared. To perform a critical hit, click while falling down after jumping. Make sure you can see particles to indicate that you have performed a critical hit.
  • Block-hitting. Block-hitting may be regarded as an annoying strategy to use, but is actually a vital strategy. Block-hitting will reduce damage done by opponents and increase your chances of winning a fight regardless of your gear. The more a player strafes you while you're blockhitting, the less you're likely to win in a fight, so be careful. To block-hit, left click and right click at the same time, (Left Click to hit your opponent and right click to block.) Do not be surprised if you come out victorious in a fight you think you may lose in while using this strategy.

BOW
  • Lead your arrows. Drag your mouse into the direction the opposing player is moving into while shooting your bow. It will take practice, and you will have to be pretty good at knowing where your opponent will be moving to. Be as accurate as possible, aim your bow where your opponents are going.
  • Charging your bow. Offensively, it isn't very effective single charging your bow if you're trying to deal damage to your opponent. For maximum effectiveness, fully charge your bow.
  • Dodging arrows. It will be hard dodge arrows while shooting at your opponent, but to dodge successfully, do not jump. Swiftly move back and forth to confuse your opponent, and your primary goal while dodging is to make your opponent waste arrows. You can also block arrows by right clicking to reduce damage done by your opponent.
  • Arrows. Make sure you are aware of the amount of arrows you have; not knowing the amount of arrows you have can result in a miscalculation.
ROD
  • Stun. You can "Fishing rod stun" your opponent by knocking them back. This will allow you to hit them while they cannot hit you, because you have knocked them back.
  • The fishing rod stun is essential for combos, and is a vital and common strategy in MCSG PvP.
  • Infinite fishing rod. When using your rod, switch to another slot to avoid the rod losing durability.
FLINT & STEEL
  • Defense. Flint & Steel is strictly a defensive weapon against your opponents. Flint & Steel is vital for taking out teams, and will deal 8 "ticks" (4 hearts) of damage to your opponent.
  • Slow-down. If your opponent is attempting to escape, the "ticks" of damage will slow down your opponent so you can get hits off them.
  • Initiation. Flint & Steel is sometimes used to initiate fights and will sometimes scare players away, so you can gain offensive control.
  • Accuracy. Try to be as accurate as possible when lighting your flint & steel. Speed doesn't matter so much, although being speedy which your placements will be beneficial. 180 flint & steel placements will need to be fast and accurate.
Weapon Combinations
  • Sword + Fishing Rod. Knocking your opponent back with your rod and then attacking with your sword is a combo, and you should use it at all times.
  • Sword + Single Charged Bow. Single charging your bow is not effective to lower your opponents health, but is quite effective for knocking your opponent back, making for a great sword attack combo.
  • As you're probably guessing, there are many more combinations that you can use to your advantage in a fight, and the ones above are common combinations used by players.
Killing Hackers
  1. Defense. At most times, a hacker won't have just no knockback enabled, and will have other combat hacks enabled such as kill aura, forcefield and aimbot. You must be very defensive while attempting to defeat a hacker especially if they have most of the hacks enabled. Use Flint & Steel repetitively, and you're most likely going to need to bow spam the hacker, but use fully charged arrows for maximum effectiveness.
  2. Be careful. Hackers can kill you fast, so don't rush into fight against one. If you're fighting in a tight spot with a hacker and you're undergeared, you most likely will lose. Keep in mind, while trading hits with a hacker, they will most likely get more hits off you, and this is another reason why you must play defensive against a hacker.
  3. Timing. Time everything. Flint & Steel placements, bow shots, you must time your actions to the disadvantage of the hacker. At most times, the hacker won't be playing tactically, and will just rush in. This gives you the opportunity to play very defensively and tactically, so make sure you do so.
  4. Report them. If you find a hacker and have proof of them hacking, you can report them here, and they will be punished.
  5. All Sword/Bow/Rod/Flint & Still Tips and Tricks apply.
Killing Teams
  1. Defense. Be defensive. Since you are at a disadvantage having to fight and deal with multiple players at once, you must be tactical and defensive. Use Flint & Steel as it is vital for progressively lowering the teams health as well as killing them. If you a have a bow and some arrows, use them. Against a team, bow spamming is a strategy, as multiple people will be attacking you at once, and you want to attack multiple people at once by bow spamming.
  2. Split them up. No matter how large the team, you will need to split them up if they are decent players or have decent items.You will be able to take the team out one by one and successfully take the team out.
  3. All Sword/Bow/Rod/Flint & Still Tips and Tricks apply.
Inventory Arrangement
You can arrange items in whatever way you'd like, but make sure you do so accordingly so it will work with your hotkeys/mouse side buttons/scrolling.

Set up your inventory how you'd like, and in whatever ways you think would be effective for good PvP.

I use the following inventory arrangement:
Slot 1: Flint & Steel
Slot 2: Sword
Slot 3: Bow
Slot 4: Fishing Rod
Slot 5: Gapple(s) (If I have any.)
Slot 6: Food
Slot 7: Food
Slot 8: Food
Slot 9: Food

Some think that my inventory arrangement is very odd, especially because I hotkey, but I set it up randomly and I can't think of myself switching to a different setup. It works pretty well for me.

If you do hotkey, make sure you do so accurately, and also, muscle memory comes into play for me when hotkeying. If you want to hotkey and aren't the best at it, just practice it, I promise you will improve.

Common Knowledge
Know the map you're playing, and get a PvP feel for it. Try and get a chest route if you do not have one, as it will help you obtain better items throughout the game. You can look around YouTube and the MCG Forums for chest routes.

Maps I recommend knowing and getting a PvP feel for, as well as a chest route if you do not have one:
-

Holiday Resort
Valleyside University
Survival Games Highway
Survival Games 4
Solar Frost
Turbulence
Zone 85
Avaricia
Teweran Survival Games 2
Moon Base 9
Icarus
Chernobyl 2015

-
Do not target a player for the entire game; do not target in general.

Watch your hearts in a fight; you can die faster than you'd expect.

Adjust to your ping. Learn to play accordingly to your ping.

Stay aware. Turn your Minecraft volume up if needed.

-

And hey, use common sense.

Well, I think that sums it up for my MCSG PvP Tips and Tricks guide. I really do hope it encourages other players to become better and play MCSG legitimately.

I know players will benefit from this guide, and it'd be great to see feedback.

Anyways, I hope this helps, peace. :)
I get people down to 3 hearts...
I haven't played in 3 months.
wtf

FadingPixels

Career
Reaction score
Nice guide!
Very in depth and truly amazing guide. Some tips are really helpful!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci