• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Getting bad FPS

powdski

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
It can be hard playing with less than 30 fps if you're used to high frame rates.
For example, I had a macbook pro late 2008 until just recently. It got about 40 fps maximum. I got jealous when people were complaining about only getting 100 FPS, but I didn't see anything terribly wrong with it. I've upgraded to a better computer, and I now get at most 1500FPS (on a singleplayer superflat with lowest settings). If I try playing at 40 FPS cap, I feel like dying.

TL;DR, you'll get used to it.
It can be hard playing with less than 30 fps if you're used to high frame rates.
For example, I had a macbook pro late 2008 until just recently. It got about 40 fps maximum. I got jealous when people were complaining about only getting 100 FPS, but I didn't see anything terribly wrong with it. I've upgraded to a better computer, and I now get at most 1500FPS (on a singleplayer superflat with lowest settings). If I try playing at 40 FPS cap, I feel like dying.

TL;DR, you'll get used to it.
What's your PC build?

Creepah

Career
Reaction score
It just started happening when I got my monitor today. I usually get around 60 Fps. I got this computer about a year ago.
Chances are your graphics card doesn't handle multiple monitors very well, and has to work harder to maintain high quality graphics on each screen, lowering your frame rate.

JJSnacks

Diamond
Reaction score
Same thing has been happening to me, I usually get 200-250 fps on Minecraft and ever since yesterday, I've been getting 30 fps max. Anyone know the problem?

Zetzus

Platinum
Reaction score
So, if I am understand this correctly, your using another monitor while playing on a laptop?

If that's the case then I can confirm that laptops do not respond well to playing games on a screen bigger than what was made for it, hence the reason most laptops have small'ish screens, other then the obvious reason of them being portable and convenient. Playing games on an alternate monitor stresses the laptop a lot and is often not optimized to do so. Don't get me wrong, there are other ways to get around the situation, but I am not sure that you will find an answer on these forums. For the time being I would stay with your laptops screen.

Quick question: How big is your laptops screen compared to the monitor? Because the bigger the screen and resolution, the harder its working, and the lower the frame rate.

Captain Dory

Diamond
Reaction score
Same thing has been happening to me, I usually get 200-250 fps on Minecraft and ever since yesterday, I've been getting 30 fps max. Anyone know the problem?
Have you changed anything at all with the build? If not, one of your parts has broken or been damaged. Take it to a repair store.
Do note that it could have been a virus.

powdski

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
So, if I am understand this correctly, your using another monitor while playing on a laptop?

If that's the case then I can confirm that laptops do not respond well to playing games on a screen bigger than what was made for it, hence the reason most laptops have small'ish screens, other then the obvious reason of them being portable and convenient. Playing games on an alternate monitor stresses the laptop a lot and is often not optimized to do so. Don't get me wrong, there are other ways to get around the situation, but I am not sure that you will find an answer on these forums. For the time being I would stay with your laptops screen.

Quick question: How big is your laptops screen compared to the monitor? Because the bigger the screen and resolution, the harder its working, and the lower the frame rate.
I have a 14" or 15" laptop, and a 24" monitor. I am saving up for a pc build that Mooclan showed me.

Zetzus

Platinum
Reaction score
I have a 14" or 15" laptop, and a 24" monitor. I am saving up for a pc build that Mooclan showed me.
Yeh, it all definitely makes sense now.. You should be expecting your frame rate to be cut in half when switching to a much larger screen size. That happened to me about a year ago when I was playing my 13.3 inch macbook on a 21.5 inch monitor, its just not worth it. But now I get around 700fps after saving up for a pc build, so I would just continue saving and get that pc build that you speak of. Goodluck :)

KodyXtremeFTW

Platinum
Reaction score
I copied and pasted that little code thing and it comes up with Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

I have a laptop, so I am not sure I can check that. I know that I have a graphics card.

I already had it before xD

It just started happening when I got my monitor today. I usually get around 60 Fps. I got this computer about a year ago.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200 Cpu @ 1.60Hz 2.30 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable)
System Type: 64-bit Operating system, x64-based processor
Try installing a 64-bit version of Java. I've had this issue before because, both 32-bit and 64-bit java have different abilities. Allocating more RAM (Random Access Memory) requires a 64-bit Java because 32-bit Java was programmed and coded differently than 64-bit Java.

powdski

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Yeh, it all definitely makes sense now.. You should be expecting your frame rate to be cut in half when switching to a much larger screen size. That happened to me about a year ago when I was playing my 13.3 inch macbook on a 21.5 inch monitor, its just not worth it. But now I get around 700fps after saving up for a pc build, so I would just continue saving and get that pc build that you speak of. Goodluck :)
Thx!
Try installing a 64-bit version of Java. I've had this issue before because, both 32-bit and 64-bit java have different abilities. Allocating more RAM (Random Access Memory) requires a 64-bit Java because 32-bit Java was programmed and coded differently than 64-bit Java.
I will try that tomorrow

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci