• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Forum Rules - What's the point?

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
Since the Forum Rules came out, I've been enforcing those things as rules rather than recommendations (which in most cases I would do anyways, but it's nice having them as a rule). After a while, I'm told that these forum rules 'don't actually matter' and aren't really enforced other than warnings. So if they are rules, what are the punishments? And if they are guidelines, how does that change them from the forum guides in the guide section? In the future, can we expect more enforcement if they are actually rules?

ShaunDepro

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I don't think we were necessarily aimed at "punishments" but more cleaning up and avoiding mistakes/problems.

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
I don't think we were necessarily aimed at "punishments" but more cleaning up and avoiding mistakes/problems.
Well, then a warning and instructions on how to not do it at least. I've been told by a mod that it isn't an important rule and that I should get off the subject.

AMooseMan3

Platinum
Reaction score
I believe they do have somewhat of an impact in the civility of the forums. There has been some very sensitive topics (Religion, etc.) and I think the forum rules have kept them from being huge flame wars, because the mods have something to stand on when warning somebody, because it's in the rules. That's enough to keep many from breaking the rules.

Le0

District 13
Reaction score
To start of with- yes, they are rules. Some of them may be very loose, but I will go into more detail later. The reason forum rules are required is because we have to set some boundaries, otherwise people will post things and then complain when they are removed because we didn't have any set rules/guidelines on it.

I believe (if I guess correctly) you are mainly talking about double posting, which I know you like to enforce (and we do thank you for that, it makes our lives easier when others out there are instructing and guiding the community). This is a perfect example for the question you have posed above. Double posting, while it says it is against the rules, is all in all a pretty minor offence. In a lot of other forums it is a perfectly common practice, not only for adding to your ideas, but for making the thread become active again. The reason that in this community it is generally frowned upon is because we have the edit button, and that doing multiple posts is unnecessary and simply fills up the thread. Saying that, we generally don't mind if someone makes a post, then adds more to the discussion by making another just after. We would much prefer if one post was submitted, but in the end it's not the end of the world, nor on par with the severity of cursing out someone on the forums, for example. However, if someone was to spam out a thread, doing 10-15 pointless posts, then yes they would get a warning/talking to.

The same goes for "necroing". This is probably an even more minor offence- usually the only times this is done on our forums is if a new player finds a topic and wants clarification/to add their point to it, for humorous effect, or if the person genuinely has something else to add to the discussion (a great example of this is the art section, where people may occasionally add new art.) While, again, we aren't going to ban people from the forums for doing it (blarghargh that would be stoopid), it's meant more for extreme cases. For example, a troll goes through a whole lot of ancient threads and replies to them all just to be a pain.

Even though they are meant for more major cases, the rules/guidelines/whatever they are do actually matter. Without it, the world would tear apart at the seams, and the very fabric of our universe would be torn apart. AKA, the MCSG forums would turn into a fiery, necroing, double posting anarchy.

Not quite, but you get the message. To answer your last question about whether we will enforce them more in the future, the answer is no. The majority of these minor forum rule breaks are done unwittingly, and many of our community and staff are happy to remind these people that it's not how we do things around here, and we don't want to take any more action than that.

Kezzer

District 13
Reaction score
Adding onto what le0 said a lot of moderators don't have much experience with the forums and they are quite often unsure of the rules which yes does need to change. All the minor offences that people do are so minor that mods can usually just lock a necroed thread or just merge the posts. More severe offences such as swearing or abuse is usually dealt with fairly quick by the more experienced forum staff. I still think that mods could do with some forum training as some mods on the forums don't deal with issues in a staff like manner.

MJM239

District 13
Reaction score
HalfSquirrel, news flash, double posting isn't the same as committing first degree murder.

Toast

District 13
Reaction score
The "don't double post" posts clutter up the forums more then double posting, if you feel that someone has double posted, there's a little report button that not enough people use.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci