• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Bayside SG - 80% Completed - Team Invictus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vestre

Diamond
Reaction score
Maps looks amazing, hope this gets added to the server when it´s finish.

Shelby

District 13
Reaction score
Thanks for all the support! The team and I really appreciate it :)

Coobqwer

Survivor
Reaction score
Love this map so much <3 So pleased to be part of it :)

Mamiamato24

Diamond
Reaction score
It's a nice map and all, but I would, personally, not like to see it added onto the servers. It doesn't possess a theme, or any characteristics for that matter, that really make it stand out from the pack. Since there are WAYYY too many maps on the servers, if it is ever decided to introduce new ones, they would have to be incredibly unique, have exceptional builds and amazing gameplay, and this map lacks in the originality and uniqueness aspect. While there hasn't been a map created with this EXACT theme, it too closely resembles the likes of holiday resort and maybe Par 72/Green Grass.
You may argue that "oh, it doesn't! It's not like those maps at all".
Does it have some sort of beach/resort? Yes.
Does it have some sort of a town? Yes.
Does it have pretty generic homes? Yes.

As I said earlier, it looks like a well built map, but I think it lacks in originality.

Reactions: Epo

Shelby

District 13
Reaction score
We didn't really want to 'over theme' something. The community has seemed to have enjoyed city type maps, and it's something the team voted on. We were going to do medieval/fantasy.. but every time one is submitted to the forums, people always go 'ughhh another medieval map'

Truth be told, you could build a map in any style and it's 'already been done'.

Build a space map and people'll say it's like Moonbase.
Build a medieval map and suddenly its Dracarys and Survival kingdom
Build a city/town/normal map and suddenly its Par 72
Build a map with a beach and its Holiday resort.
Build a post-apocalyptic map and its Survival games 2.
Build a snow map and its Alaskan Village and Survival Games 5.

it's an endless cycle.

You may say we're unoriginal, but personally It's a struggle to be original if the things you try to do that are original are outright hated.

We believed a proper Beach side town setting would be fun, so we did what we felt was fun and simple for us all to rebond as a team after earlier issues prior to our reforming.

It's really not our fault if people immediately say anything with sand touching water is Holiday resort. When realistically in terms of game play space, the water takes up an absolute minimum of the explorable map and is instead mostly beyond the dome. It has a Ferris Wheel, but only because in a lot of places in the real world Ferris Wheels are often near bodies of water for the view. Like a simple google search would show.

In reality, a team and build don't deserve to cop flack for a theme when unless a theme is blatantly stolen, it's not a problem. Realistically speaking we're all trying to do the most we can with blocks given to us - and when rearranged into ways great for game play, of course there's going to be similarities.

This isn't just about Bayside, it's about every new map that has any characteristic or shared theme with any other map, no matter how minor the similarity.

Personally when creating the map, I looked at inspiration from seaside towns I'd recently visited on the coast of Australia /shrug/ I didn't look at another map.

Tl;dr

Can't expect uniqueness when you're only looking for similarities and not the differences each beautiful map holds.

Vanth

Quantum
Reaction score
Looks wonderful, I really wish I could be a part of such a talented build team. I'm so jelly :D

croe97

District 13
Reaction score
Looks like a pretty awesome map! Keep up the good work Shelby.
Also, make sure to include an enchant table. c;

Mamiamato24

Diamond
Reaction score
We didn't really want to 'over theme' something. The community has seemed to have enjoyed city type maps, and it's something the team voted on. We were going to do medieval/fantasy.. but every time one is submitted to the forums, people always go 'ughhh another medieval map'

Truth be told, you could build a map in any style and it's 'already been done'.

Build a space map and people'll say it's like Moonbase.
Build a medieval map and suddenly its Dracarys and Survival kingdom
Build a city/town/normal map and suddenly its Par 72
Build a map with a beach and its Holiday resort.
Build a post-apocalyptic map and its Survival games 2.
Build a snow map and its Alaskan Village and Survival Games 5.

it's an endless cycle.

You may say we're unoriginal, but personally It's a struggle to be original if the things you try to do that are original are outright hated.

We believed a proper Beach side town setting would be fun, so we did what we felt was fun and simple for us all to rebond as a team after earlier issues prior to our reforming.

It's really not our fault if people immediately say anything with sand touching water is Holiday resort. When realistically in terms of game play space, the water takes up an absolute minimum of the explorable map and is instead mostly beyond the dome. It has a Ferris Wheel, but only because in a lot of places in the real world Ferris Wheels are often near bodies of water for the view. Like a simple google search would show.

In reality, a team and build don't deserve to cop flack for a theme when unless a theme is blatantly stolen, it's not a problem. Realistically speaking we're all trying to do the most we can with blocks given to us - and when rearranged into ways great for game play, of course there's going to be similarities.

This isn't just about Bayside, it's about every new map that has any characteristic or shared theme with any other map, no matter how minor the similarity.

Personally when creating the map, I looked at inspiration from seaside towns I'd recently visited on the coast of Australia /shrug/ I didn't look at another map.

Tl;dr

Can't expect uniqueness when you're only looking for similarities and not the differences each beautiful map holds.
That's completely true. I'm just saying that there are so many maps on the server right now, I believe that any new maps that should be added should be unlike any other maps. And while this map isn't identical to any other, it shares too many similarities with other maps, even if those similarities are very vague and the differences each map holds are the only things that keep them from being rip-offs.

What I want to see from such talented build teams like yours is to get out of the comfort zone of a beach town-y map and create something really different, maybe like an underground city, an ancient Greek city, some post-World War setting, or maybe something around the time of the dinosaurs or even before life existed, or maybe just something that doesn't have to exist on this Earth anyway. A giant orchestra with huge instruments!

Maybe a year or two ago, when there was less of an abundance of maps I would advocate the addition of this lovely map. In my perspective, there needs to be more notable diversity between maps. Each one should feel like a completely different adventure with a completely different atmosphere, layout, etc. This dilemma already exists, seeing as I am constantly reminded of other maps when I play on some of the new additions, and I don't want McGamer to enter a never-ending spiral.

Or maybe it's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci