• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Bayside SG - 80% Completed - Team Invictus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kellyys

District 13
Reaction score
Looks perfect! But the only thing I would see people wouldn't agree on is the SG4 Spawn ;-;

Coobqwer

Survivor
Reaction score
Looks perfect! But the only thing I would see people wouldn't agree on is the SG4 Spawn ;-;
Apart from the square shape of spawn the spawn for Bayside is completely different :) They are all shops and each shop has an exit and it's all on one level. Also corn is covered with leaves and there are hot air balloons people can climb into in the central corn zone.

Tree_TheBigKind

District 13
Reaction score
I'd like to begin by saying the map is very nice and easily on par with the level of detail and immersion that the current maps on the server possess. However, I was reading through the comments and I saw this-
We didn't really want to 'over theme' something. The community has seemed to have enjoyed city type maps, and it's something the team voted on. We were going to do medieval/fantasy.. but every time one is submitted to the forums, people always go 'ughhh another medieval map'

Truth be told, you could build a map in any style and it's 'already been done'.

Build a space map and people'll say it's like Moonbase.
Build a medieval map and suddenly its Dracarys and Survival kingdom
Build a city/town/normal map and suddenly its Par 72
Build a map with a beach and its Holiday resort.
Build a post-apocalyptic map and its Survival games 2.
Build a snow map and its Alaskan Village and Survival Games 5.

it's an endless cycle.

You may say we're unoriginal, but personally It's a struggle to be original if the things you try to do that are original are outright hated.

We believed a proper Beach side town setting would be fun, so we did what we felt was fun and simple for us all to rebond as a team after earlier issues prior to our reforming.

It's really not our fault if people immediately say anything with sand touching water is Holiday resort. When realistically in terms of game play space, the water takes up an absolute minimum of the explorable map and is instead mostly beyond the dome. It has a Ferris Wheel, but only because in a lot of places in the real world Ferris Wheels are often near bodies of water for the view. Like a simple google search would show.

In reality, a team and build don't deserve to cop flack for a theme when unless a theme is blatantly stolen, it's not a problem. Realistically speaking we're all trying to do the most we can with blocks given to us - and when rearranged into ways great for game play, of course there's going to be similarities.

This isn't just about Bayside, it's about every new map that has any characteristic or shared theme with any other map, no matter how minor the similarity.

Personally when creating the map, I looked at inspiration from seaside towns I'd recently visited on the coast of Australia /shrug/ I didn't look at another map.

Tl;dr

Can't expect uniqueness when you're only looking for similarities and not the differences each beautiful map holds.
You say there are no original map ideas anymore (or at least that appears to be the point you are trying to convey) but you simply had your entire opinion collapse in on itself.

Build a space map and people'll say it's like Moonbase.
Build a snow map and its Alaskan Village and Survival Games 5.
Did someone not create these maps first? When Moon Base 9 was made, it couldn't be compared to other sg maps on the servers. Same for SG2 and Holiday Resort and Alaskan Village, etc. So, to say that originality is fairly nonexistent nowadays is far from the truth. It would be closer to say that originality is harder to come by. But that alone is what makes originality so refreshing- the sheer fact that it's not around as much anymore.
It's a struggle to be original if the things you try to do that are original are outright hated.
I haven't been anywhere near active in the community in a while so I don't know if you're alluding to any past events where originality has been hated. However, big build teams should be about being original (as Mamiamato24 previously said). If you go along with the flow, you can be called good. Making new flows are what make you great.

I want to say that I am in no way putting down the map or the idea. I am simply expressing my viewpoint on the subject matter that arose. My post can be applied to all applicable maps so it's not tailored to single out this map.
Once again, beautiful map, good work.

SuperxAndrew

District 13
Reaction score
To add on what Tree said, Map: Fine. Idea: Fine. Adding This To MCGamer: Not Fine

While I usually want to help every dedicated map maker with their maps, Tree_TheBigKind and Mamiamato24 have a point. I could make an "SG2" like map, that is 100% better than the original; however, that doesn't mean it should ever be accepted simply due to the fact that it is so similar to a map already added.

MCGamer has found itself cluttered with maps. Most of which are of mediocre or decent quality. While this map's quality is perfectly fine, MCGamer already has a map of similar theme that is of equal or better quality: Holiday Resort 2.

I guess my point is: there are too many maps for MCG to start adding maps that duplicate or come close to other map's themes on the servers. Quality is important to maintain for a high-end server such as this, and sometimes quality doesn't come with individual map's looks, but rather with overall organization of the maps.

Excuse me for bringing another server into this, but I think all that is what makes Hive's map process so well respected. Instead of having nearly 50 maps of similar themes and quality, they have few maps that display uniqueness and good quality. This is the direction MCGamer should head in.

I noticed you got offended when people started calling you out for an unoriginal theme, but truth be told, there is hardly anything original about this. There will always be new themes to explore, it is just up to the builder to stop making excuses and find those themes.

However, despite how brutally honest I may be, this is a good map. I just hope MCGamer can take it upon themselves to separate "good map" from "needed map".

Brndy

Platinum
Reaction score
Also, claiming that ideas are getting scarce is hardly a reality - newer maps like Turbulence, and Par72 are strongly liked and have a nice plotline. Turbulence is an Airport - Quite a nice theme. Par72 isn't a city - it's a golf course. These are unique features to a map that make them unique. Making a "Resort" or "Spa" is simply bound to draw connections to Holiday Resort - I mean it's in the name.

Further things:
SG4 is a construction site / city (The Original City Map)
Valleyside University is a University
SG Highway is (obviously) a highway
Breeze Island maps are Islands
Icarus is a deserted asteroid
Moonbase is a map on the moon. So you probably shouldn't make a moon-themed map. Makes sense?
Avaricia is a castle - and a pretty popular map.
Zone85 is a warzone.
TSG2 is a desert/ancient themed map - but also very simple and open for play styles.
Each of the maps are unique, and that's why I think they were worthy of being MCGamer maps.

Last edited:

Shelby

District 13
Reaction score
I think a few of you are mishearing the point, and frankly i'm offended by some of the claims at hand.

'Build a space map and people'll say it's like Moonbase.
Build a snow map and its Alaskan Village and Survival Games 5'

Is meant to refer to people who are creating original, nice maps, but are getting held down by peoples assumptions at first glance. If you so much as have water blocks touching sand blocks, people start screaming 'ITS HOLIDAY RESORT' and god forbid we have a ferris wheel.

Frankly, I believe although it may not be the 'most unique' like a map set on mars or something, Bayside is nice as its own. It's a town map, it has a small beach, it has recreation aspects.. and at the end of the day, does it really matter?

I didn't say that 'theres no original ideas' anymore. I'm saying that because everyone is so strict on their narrow minded view set, that they miss actual original ideas because they only look for similarities.

The map idea was pitched in an overall list of ideas to the team who then voted. THE TEAM decided they wanted to do Bayside and at the end of the day, thats fine. We wanted to do something fun that suits a lot of the teams styles and just enjoy what we were doing.

So at the end of the day, you guys being (and yeah, i mean this) pretty rude towards us isn't really warranted. If you honestly think the map is 'Just like holiday resort' you really need to start seeing the originality in every map, rather then focusing on what is already done. Superior attitudes are the reason a lot of new people in this community have moved away from map development - because they can't do anything without someone only seeing vague similarities and not original concepts. That attitude kills potential new builders.

Saying our map doesn't deserve to be on the server because it has water touching sand and a ferris wheel is downright offensive. We worked hard, we flitted out the concept after I visited a beach town, we had an amazing time as a team and my builders have all proven themselves to be incredible people.

At the end of the day, if you think it doesn't deserve to be on or is a 'clone of another map' I'll be honest with you and effectively say what you said to me.. 'No offense' but.. the team worked hard, we had fun, we're happy and we won't let you make us feel bad for our accomplishment. In short, it's still going on the servers and we don't really care for the negativity and hatred because sand blocks are touching water and theres a ferris wheel..

Also just a point, Par72 falls under the definition of 'towny map' because its a bunch of buildings/homes separated by roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci