• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

AS Being Shutdown - Thoughts + Suggestions @Devs, Sr. Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keno

Experienced
Reaction score
So now, today breaks the dawn at which the Asian servers have been shutdown. Permanently. To many people this may be a shocker. Standing as behalf of the numerous (thought to be little) number of Asian MCSG server members, I want to put forward a cheaper or perhaps better alternative to straight up removing the AS MCSG servers. Something we loved so dearly, played every single day was taken away from us. Even if it was just 4 servers (or at least the playable ones).

I will put forward a case, an alternative that will perhaps provide some reconsidering thoughts into maybe bringing back the AS servers.

Luckily for you guys, I've already done the researching. We could either buy servers based in Hong Kong, Singapore (McProHosting/ CubedHosting).

Server Hosting in the following 2 countries -

1. Hong Kong - https://www.serverminer.com/minecraft/USD/
  • I suggest the Lapis Plan

2. Singapore -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Upon reviewing the cost of a server in Singapore, Australia and Arizona, USA - We can determine that indeed the price of servers in Singapore and the USA are the same. However, in Australia, the prices are higher. Not only are the prices higher but the supply low (Insert demand supply assumption). We can finalize that the removal of 4 US servers can make up the demand for 4 AS servers.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

subv3rsion
ChadTheDJ
Ava
Rusty
Dave
Col_StaR

savva60

Experienced
Reaction score
We don't even need a hub, or even 5 servers. Just 2 would be acceptable (4 would be best). Please.

JoelJCE

Career
Reaction score
MCGamer doesn't purchase servers through shared hosting plans. Rather, they rent an entire dedicated machine (which can be upwards of $100-$200 per month depending on the machine's specs and the datacenter) and then run multiple servers from that machine. This is why you'll often see 15-20 servers all go offline at the same time on the US/CA network. One box contains multiple servers.

As for why AS had only 4 servers, I'm not certain. If those 4 servers were on a dedicated box, it probably wasn't a very powerful box, or resources were allocated on an existing box by CubedHost. I'm not certain about the configuration for AS though, it's been a while since since I've spoken to any of the developers about MCGamer's hardware.

Canaan

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
So now, today breaks the dawn at which the Asian servers have been shutdown. Permanently. To many people this may be a shocker. Standing as behalf of the numerous (thought to be little) number of Asian MCSG server members, I want to put forward a cheaper or perhaps better alternative to straight up removing the AS MCSG servers. Something we loved so dearly, played every single day was taken away from us. Even if it was just 4 servers (or at least the playable ones).

I will put forward a case, an alternative that will perhaps provide some reconsidering thoughts into maybe bringing back the AS servers.

Luckily for you guys, I've already done the researching. We could either buy servers based in Hong Kong, Singapore (McProHosting/ CubedHosting).

Server Hosting in the following 2 countries -

1. Hong Kong - https://www.serverminer.com/minecraft/USD/
  • I suggest the Lapis Plan

2. Singapore -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Upon reviewing the cost of a server in Singapore, Australia and Arizona, USA - We can determine that indeed the price of servers in Singapore and the USA are the same. However, in Australia, the prices are higher. Not only are the prices higher but the supply low (Insert demand supply assumption). We can finalize that the removal of 4 US servers can make up the demand for 4 AS servers.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

subv3rsion
ChadTheDJ
Ava
Rusty
Dave
Col_StaR
Forgot kpwn243 and moo something..

Personally, I think that the AS servers should be hosted in Hong Kong because we have the 3rd best internet in the world? It is also cheaper than the other server hosters so yeah... >.<

Keno

Experienced
Reaction score
MCGamer doesn't purchase servers through shared hosting plans. Rather, they rent an entire dedicated machine (which can be upwards of $100-$200 per month depending on the machine's specs and the datacenter) and then run multiple servers from that machine. This is why you'll often see 15-20 servers all go offline at the same time on the US/CA network. One box contains multiple servers.

As for why AS had only 4 servers, I'm not certain. If those 4 servers were on a dedicated box, it probably wasn't a very powerful box, or resources were allocated on an existing box by CubedHost. I'm not certain about the configuration for AS though, it's been a while since since I've spoken to any of the developers about MCGamer's hardware.
Seeing as there is no reason why we would need a box itself, it hindsight it would be cheaper to rent servers directly. Like Savva said, we don't need a hub.

Canaan

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Seeing as there is no reason why we would need a box itself, it hindsight it would be cheaper to rent servers directly. Like Savva said, we don't need a hub.
We do NOT need a hub. We do NOT. I repeat. We do NOT. As the President/AS Represent/AS Ambassador said.

Dave

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Ok first off if AS did not have a hub it wouldn't change the price. MCGamer does not and will never buy a premade mincraft server. we will always use our own dedicated servers as they run better. Adding to that, AS only had 1 server that costed the same as 3 us or eu servers (im not talking minecraft servers you get from CH im talking high grade servers that are just the hardwere and the os then the devs do the rest). AS was shut down as it cost too much and there is no way to down size it. Adding to that as was never planned in the first place, it just happened. Chad did warn you that if we did not get more players there then it would shut down.
  • The current plan MCG seems to be paying is the $14. 1.5 gigs of ram and 24 slots.
that is no where near the price we pay as we use https://cubedhost.com/billing/cart.php?gid=23 these servers as they are better there is no way that we can cut down the price. The only way to get AS back it for it to suddenly get like 300 players.

also cuting down US or EU is not and is never going to be an option as those servers are needed and to get rid of one of our servers there we will loose 25 servers not just 1 and as those servers are full for like 12 hours a day that is not going to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keno

Experienced
Reaction score
Ok first off if AS did not have a hub it wouldn't change the price. MCGamer does not and will never buy a premade mincraft server. we will always use our own dedicated servers as they run better. Adding to that, AS only had 1 server that costed the same as 3 us or eu servers (im not talking minecraft servers you get from CH im talking high grade servers that are just the hardwere and the os then the devs do the rest). AS was shut down as it cost too much and there is no way to down size it. Adding to that as was never planned in the first place, it just happened. Chad did warn you that if we did not get more players there then it would shut down.

that is no where near the price we pay as we use https://cubedhost.com/billing/cart.php?gid=23 these servers as they are better there is no way that we can cut down the price. The only way to get AS back it for it to suddenly get like 300 players.

also cuting down US or EU is not and is never going to be an option as those servers are needed and to get rid of one of our servers there we will loose 25 servers not just 1 and as those servers are full for like 12 hours a day that is not going to happen.
Thank you for the insight, that's all we needed, a firm jurisdiction on the current situation of AS.

Thread locked?

savva60

Experienced
Reaction score
Ok first off if you did not have a hub it would cost the same as if we had the hub mcgamer dose not and will never buy a premade mincraft server we will always use our own dedicated servers as they run better adding to that AS only had 1 server that costs the same as 3 us or eu servers and im not talking minecraft servers you get from CH im talking high grade servers that are just the hardwere and the os then the devs do the rest AS was shut down as it cost to much and there is no way to down size it adding to that as was never planned in the first place it just happened. chad did warn you that if we did not get more players there then it would shut down.

that is no where near the price we pay as we use https://cubedhost.com/billing/cart.php?gid=23 these servers as they are better there is no way that we can cut down the price the only way to get AS back it for it to suddenly get like 300 players.

Few points of contention. First, on that the dedicated servers that you currently have cost a lot more than the servers that Keno found on Cubed Host. The main problem with this point is that we don't actually need the 'high grade servers' that you're talking about. Just a server with an average amount of RAM will do, and we don't even need the updates that MCSG gives to regions like US and EU, so a server on AS can potentially cost similar to a server hosted in US/EU/AU. Another problem with this is that, even if they cost more money, something as beloved as these servers shouldn't be taken away from the community in the advent of economic opportunity. To explain, here's an example. Would you break down a museum full of precious cultural artefacts to build the more economical shopping mall? Would you sacrifice an object of great patrimony purely for an economic gain? No, you wouldn't. There are many things more important than money, Dave.

Secondly, on that US and EU cannot cut back on servers to make room for AS. I think that the other regions can spare a server here and there, even during peak hours, because they aren't always full. I just logged into the US hub and found a total of 50+ servers as a lobby without people in them. I recognise that this is not peak hour for the US servers, but why not have 12-hour AS servers? You could spare 25 combined servers from US, EU etc for 8 hours or so to make room for 8 hours of 1 AS server. Even 1 AS server is better than none. Furthermore, with this 1 AS server, only donors will be able to join it consistently, causing an increase in demand, enabling MCSG to raise the donor prices, generating more revenue, and enabling MCSG to open another AS server. The end case of this would be 2 AS servers, and a satisfied community. I understand that you use boxes, but why not use a few MCSG plugins for AS direct-connected servers, not even all of the plugins, and have a single AS moderator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci