• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

A way to stop spambots: Thread Making requirements.

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
I think the General Support and Introduce Yourself sections should count as your posts for this suggestion, but otherwise I agree :) This would help a lot with getting rid of spambots.

But also, I don't think any noobs are going to make virus advertisement threads because they see other people doing it :p

Erisyuka

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I think the General Support and Introduce Yourself sections should count as your posts for this suggestion, but otherwise I agree :) This would help a lot with getting rid of spambots.

But also, I don't think any noobs are going to make virus advertisement threads because they see other people doing it :p
Sorry, I ment those would be the places you could make threads before reaching X posts. Ya you're right about Introduce Yourself counting though.

But General Support is where most of the Spam Bots strike.

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
Sorry, I ment those would be the places you could make threads before reaching X posts. Ya you're right about Introduce Yourself counting though.

But General Support is where most of the Spam Bots strike.
I think it's just that they hit different places at different times. I don't think any section gets more than others really. And OK, I guess that makes more sense now :p

Erisyuka

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I think it's just that they hit different places at different times. I don't think any section gets more than others really. And OK, I guess that makes more sense now :p
Others can chime in on this, but I feel like I've been mainly seeing them in the general support section. Could just be my imagination though.

Lucidictive

Diamond
Reaction score
Don't think so, a simple captcha would be good for making treads to reduce spam-bots, or maybe a "click if you're a human" button.
Most auto-spam-bots will bypass captchas by reading through a database of captchas, and if they implemented a button, it wouldn't be hard to program a bot that ticked the button.

Erisyuka

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Most auto-spam-bots will bypass captchas by reading through a database of captchas, and if they implemented a button, it wouldn't be hard to program a bot that ticked the button.
Infact, If I were to program a spambot, I would have it search all pages visited for captcha, as to never be stopped by them. Which is probably how it is setup.

So they are probably already able to get around most, if not all captcha we put in their way

kaiomann

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Another way to prevent spam-accounts: Just a simple but different question each time a new account is made. Something like "What's 2+2".

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
Another way to prevent spam-accounts: Just a simple but different question each time a new account is made. Something like "What's 2+2".
Someone will still be able to make bots to get past that, but that is definitely another system that is usable.

Erisyuka

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I feel like there is already a way around that. at the very least we need newer, more complex captcha.

The thing is, the idea I have suggested doesn't involve adding anything crazy, just a new forum rank with limited privileges. which should be really easy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci