• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

A few notes on a rule and a non-rule

Devblock

Survivor
Reaction score
First of all, this is being composed on my tablet - please excuse any grammatical or linguistical errors; it should still be a readable article, but do not mind any small flaws.

Lately, there has been many varying opinions on two supposed 'issues' within the community that I wish to touch on. I would also appreciate that other users comment with their opinions down below, as well. That way, all opinions can be easily viewed and accessed within one public thread, rather than briefly scanning several different threads and status messages.

1) Deleting evidence is a one week tempban

Originally, I was considering wording my arguments to suggest that deleting evidence is not at all punishable, however I can consider and partially agree with the staff's perspective, and as such I believe a one week tempban is fair for deleting evidence.

The one major argument I wish to make with this is elementary. We, the users, are responsible for noticing rulebreakers, gathering evidence, and reporting them to the Moderators. The Moderators, in turn, are then responsible for banning the user. When you consider this, it seems as if we, the users, are hauling much much more weight than necessary.

My small proposal is that staff are responsible for hosting the evidence of rulebreakers, not us players. When a user deletes a video of a user hacking, it practically allows the user-in-question go be unbanned - because there is nothing to hold against them.

Isn't it possible for the staff to download these videos and re-upload them to their channel? Yes, that is definitely a lot of work and would slow down the reporting process, but may I remind you folks that is what we users have technically been doing for around two years now?

2) Notes on 'eZ', 'rekt', and 'gg10'
Please read this context in its entirety before assuming that it is just another snobby, whiny article, because it is not.

I, personally, do not believe in ANY way that saying something like 'eZ', on its own, is abusive. It's a general, broad message just sitting in the air, simple as that. The same applies for other similar messages.

It's when context is applied that I shift my views.

Let's compare two chat messages : "eZ" and "ChadTheDJ, rekt!" Which do you think a player would find more abusive? In general, which IS the abusive message here?

"eZ" can not, and should not, be bannable in its own form. It is not directed at anyone, and technically would be difficult to ban. (If you are only looking at a screenshot of someone saying 'eZ', it does not suggest the many variables that may contribute to or remove from that message.

When someone says 'ChadtheDJ was so darn eZ', you are directly attacking them. Someone wants them to notice it and freak out over it. They are attempting to insult and belittle their playing abilities by playing with poor sportsmanship.

I'm not one to get all whiny over someone calling me 'eZ', but let's be honest here, add a little context and it isn't good.

Allow me to take an excerpt from the 'respect' sector of the rules.

User, you suck at Minecraft.
This is exactly that. "ChadtheDJ, you are eZ" and "ChadTheDJ, you suck at PvP" are very much the exact same things. (When someone calls you 'eZ' they are obviously attacking your PVP abilities, which is why I applied it in this context.

Thanks for reading my half rant, half possible suggestions thread. Again, I apologize for any grammatical errors, and don't forget to leave your opinions below.

masond123

Platinum
Reaction score
The one major argument I wish to make with this is elementary. We, the users, are responsible for noticing rulebreakers, gathering evidence, and reporting them to the Moderators. The Moderators, in turn, are then responsible for banning the user. When you consider this, it seems as if we, the users, are hauling much much more weight than necessary.
I would just like to point out that the majority of this is false.
First of all, no user is responsible for recording/reporting hackers unless they are part of the staff team. While we do greatly appreciate the assistance, none of you should ever feel a burden to report anyone. Second, although I am not allowed to disclose much, banning a user is much more difficult then you make it sound.

My small proposal is that staff are responsible for hosting the evidence of rulebreakers, not us players. When a user deletes a video of a user hacking, it practically allows the user-in-question go be unbanned - because there is nothing to hold against them.
You have to understand that we do re-upload evidence in many cases, but just not all cases. By posting a report abuse, you are required to obtain the template from this thread. Directly under the template, it states that removing any evidence used in a report is against the rules and is subject to a possible ban. Basically, by reporting a user, you agree to this condition. While there should never be a burden for a normal user to submit a report, you DO gain the burden of keeping all evidence accessible for the staff team to view at any time.

I hope this made sense, and thank you for your concern.

Devblock

Survivor
Reaction score
masond123
I'll reply to your statements tomorrow; it is late right now, and my retaliations would likely be confusing or poorly stated.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci