• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

What frame-rate should I record Minecraft at?

IronInforcersecond

Spectator
Reaction score
My (laptop) is fully capable of recording at 40-45 FPS, however my memory is only two 500GB 7200RPM hard drives (Non-RAID), and I currently only have 282.2GB left. I'm allowing a 150GB drive to store nothing but recordings, however FRAPS likes to have 150mb 5 second files at 30 FPS, so I can't record very much at a time.

So here's my question; what frame-rate should I record Minecraft at for the highest quality, without blasting my hard drive with memory.

Minecraft doesn't have ANY motion blur at all, and if it did I could get away with recording at a frame-rate like 30 FPS without it looking choppy when I turn, going to look for a mod adds motion blur (NOT Sonic's or GLSL shaders)

In case my PC's specs matter at all in this case, here they are:

CPU: intel i7 1.60GHz quad core
GPU: ATI Radeon Mobility 5870
RAM: 8GB
Laptop: ASUS G73Jh

PanuterNut

Experienced
Reaction score
It depends on how long you plan to record. Personally. I record in 60fps and have that locked. The only reason why I do that is so I have a buffer between frames. Meaning that if the world is loading the frames will go down but will be hardly noticeable. If your plan is to record gameplay on the servers which require alot of chunk loading if your an active player then I would recommend the highest FPS you can record at. If its a lets-play, which usually doesn't require to much chunk loading then 30 fps is fine. Are you recording in half-size or full-size?

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
Frame-rate is Frames Per Second right? I'm a noob with this sort of thing. If it is, how do you choose what level it goes at?

PanuterNut

Experienced
Reaction score
When your in fraps you can choose at what fps you record at
FRaps settings.jpg

the full-size and half-size settings choose at what resolution you record at.
If your minecraft is in full screen(f11 I believe) and your screen resolution is 1080p and your recording in full-size, then it will record at 1080p if you do half size it will record at 480p. Mess around with some of the settings an you will find what works best for you. Those are my settings.(I choose "Force lossless RGB capture" because i find that the colors get lost sometimes in my footage and it comes out bland and a little dark.)

IronInforcersecond

Spectator
Reaction score
the full-size and half-size settings choose at what resolution you record at.
I'm going to use Optifine to allow me to switch my Minecraft resolution down to 720p (the resolution I will be uploading at) and record at full size.

Just a quick question, do you have a YT channel with videos up already, or are you planning on doing videos?

/would like to check it out
I created a YT account quite a while ago, however I wasn't interesting in the idea at all since I was using an ancient computer at the time, so I gave it to my cousin and let him do whatever the hell he wanted to. Apparently, he had a computer that could record and plays Roblox, and decided to upload a bunch of rubbish videos about it.
Time came when I got this computer a few months ago, and I take control of it again.
I created a fairly successful video with about 170,000 videos about creepers and vines.

I'm not sure if I should create a new account without the rubbish videos (he's stubborn and won't let me delete them) or keep these and continue the account.

Yes of course, the account is IronInforcersecond

RyanMills

Tribute
Reaction score
I suggest you record at 30 fps and full size. Youtubes output frame rate is 30 so recording at 60 fps is a waste of space and power. Also, when recording at 30 fps make sure 'lock frame rate while recording' is unchecked so you still get a decent frame rate while playing.

IronInforcersecond

Spectator
Reaction score
Also, when recording at 30 fps make sure 'lock frame rate while recording' is unchecked so you still get a decent frame rate while playing.
Really? That's what that does? Well then that would help a lot considering when your playing the game at 30 FPS you notice it but not as much as when you watch it.

I suggest you record at 30 fps and full size. Youtubes output frame rate is 30 so recording at 60 fps is a waste of space and power.
Thanks, when I have FRAPS out and watch Youtube it's usually around 30 FPS, sometimes its 35. Must be the bar at the bottom going up or down or my cursor.

One more thing, does the Loop buffer length do anything important? It's set to 30 seconds and I don't know what it does or what it should be set to.

RyanMills

Tribute
Reaction score
One more thing, does the Loop buffer length do anything important? It's set to 30 seconds and I don't know what it does or what it should be set to.
I don't think it's that important but this is what the loop buffer setting does, you might find it useful.
It allows you to capture 30 seconds of gameplay prior to actually pressing record. You have to activate it beforehand though by holding the record key for a couple of seconds which makes the fps overlay turn pink. So basically your computer will constantly be taking note of the previous 30 seconds so that if something amazing happens in game while your're not recording you can quickly press the record key and you automatically have the previous 30 seconds as well as the following gameplay. I hope that makes sense lol

Reaction score
I recommend game boost. It changes your internal settings to improve gameplay. This will improve your recording allowing you to record at 60 fps. I hope this was of some assistance!

Sincerely,
Alex J. McGersey

IronInforcersecond

Spectator
Reaction score
I recommend game boost. It changes your internal settings to improve gameplay.
Kind of sounds like it's just overclocking my CPU/GPU, and/or setting the game and FRAPS at a high priority. It could also be allowing FRAPS use all the processors in processor affinity.
I can do that all myself, and i'm not worried about recording at 60 FPS since Youtube renders at 30.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci