• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Standards of PvP for Mods?

on9

Platinum
Reaction score
Isn't maturity the key to getting mod? I don't think skill is a big concern in terms of keeping the rule breakers away

Reaction score
On a server where I'd say around 40% of all bans are due to hacking, then yes a moderator must be a good/above average PvPer as you need the knowledge to know what hacking is.
You must be able to tell the difference between someone who is hacking and someone who is just very good.
A good PvPer will have a better understanding of what is possible to do in MC and what could be justified as hacking.
Hacks aren't always straight forward. Something may look like hacks but it won't be. A well experienced player will be a better person to judge.
Not all players who get banned for hacking, hack. It's impossible to get every ban for hacking correct.
We're only humans and human error will exist.

Saying that, it's not solely a moderators job to ban hackers. There are other responsibilities such as moderating the forums, chat offenses and dealing with issues on the TS and that requires maturity and a cool head.

So is it necessary for a moderator to be a good PvPer? Yes and no.
Yes when judging hackers, but that's not their only job.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Moderation has absolutely nothing to do with PvP skill. It's funny, however. I'd consider myself to have pretty decent statistics and I get a lot of abuse in lobby along the lines of "lol wow ceroria ur so bad u just reset ur stats and boost wow u suck", or "ceroria did u reset ur stats?", or "ceroria stop tryharding and start banning hackers"

Like seriously. Stop. You're not funny. You're completely and wildly wrong because I've never reset my stats before and it gets on my nerves. ;-;

stealthjet45

Platinum
Reaction score
Many disrespectful members of this community think that being a mod has something to do with Pvp skill or ingame skill. To become a staff member, there is no pvp test, they observe your reaction to the general community and how you get along with other people as well as maturity and various other requirements, when I first saw a mod with bad stats, I was very surprised and quite confused. But as time went on I realized that mods dont need any in game requirement and moderation is more about personality and calmness under heated situation. Pce.

Qwackey

Platinum
Reaction score
I personally think Moderators should have good and in-depth understanding and long standing experience with the gameplay as to be a good mod. That way they can be less biased when dealing with players consequences.

Miner9823

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
To be honest, becoming a moderator should seriously depend on someone's maturity. Because the survival games should be for fun and entertainment. Not to define the worth of a moderator. :)

bcfcAnt

Platinum
Reaction score
I think they should because some mods are terrible at identifying hacks because they simply don't know, or they can ban for hacks when there's no hacks present.

I personally can tell after a few hits if a player is hacking (whilst playing), from experience I just understand how it works and I don't know how but I just understand that there's a high chance the player hitting me is hacking and I'd be right on the majority of times to be honest.

I believe if you're terrible at the game it's harder for you to be a moderator, you can identify the 1000%clear hacks but with the not 100% clear hacks, but noticeable could allow the hacker to get away with it.

However at the current situation, the huge hacker situation that is. I believe we need as many mods as possible and to give them some correct training on how to identify hacks correctly. If a report goes in, that moderator should be 'talked through' what they're looking for. I think with experience moderators can become great mods so we need to give the newer mods, who aren't the best at PvP a chance but I understand how it could be frustrating if a mod says someone is not hacker when they are simply because they don't know.

I respect all moderators who apply out of their own time to deal with rule breakers, but I do feel as if quite a few moderators are there just for the rank.

Well basically my opinion is in between. I kind of think they should be good at pvp as it'll be easier for them to understand hacks but I do believe someone who isn't 'the best' at PvP can actually still be a great moderator.

Christian

Experienced
Reaction score
For those who say that Moderators do indeed need good skill to identify hackers: You all do make a very logical point.

I'd just like to remind everyone though, skill does not equal experience. Heck, I've played since 2012 (but never interacted with the community till a much later date), but yet I'm still somewhat horrible at the game. Even though I do not have much skill, I'd bargain to say I have a somewhat fair amount experience.

With such experience, comes with a better, more accurate chance of identifying hackers and the likes of such. Yes, being good at the game may help in the situation of identifying a hacker, but I believe it is more dependent on the experience of the user himself.

All in all, there are more important factors when coming to choose a Moderator.

Experience, maturity, ability to output that maturity, etc. > In-game skill.

MCGamerzism

Platinum
Reaction score
I think it is utterly ridiculous to have standards of PvP for mods, it's nice to be good, but it's not needed....despicable people....

Creepah

Career
Reaction score
As Whiteipad2 said, skill doesn't always mean experience, and experience doesn't always mean skill. I'm in the same situation. I've played Survival Games for 2 years, and I'm still not great, but that doesn't mean I haven't bumped into my fair share of hackers.

To those saying Mods must have good PvP to recognise hackers and be familiar with the game type, when people become mods, we receive lots of training documentation which includes videos of certain hack types, so we can learn what hacks are out there and how to spot them. Even once we've been here for a while, most Mods choose to get opinions of other Mods before issuing bans on players, to be sure that they are indeed hacking.

GibbyMC

Career
Reaction score
Anybody can write a lengthy essay and spin a yarn on why they should become a mod. I believe that mods need to be decent at the game in order to tell hacks from skill. Tbh I have far less respect for mods with under 200 wins or so. Mods need to be good at pvp and well know in the community, otherwise how are they to help serve the players by banning hackers if they can't tell if they are hacking or just getting good hits. I remember once checking your stats and I thought wow. Looks like the server is just giving mod out to anyone now. I have has this issue in filing abuse reports if video evidence of hackers. In one of them I had clear evidence of a player head toggling and a mod with 6 wins out of 900 replied with the usual: thanks this user has been dealt with. That player = not banned. Then later that day I recorded and reported another hacker who was aimbotting, not to obvious but you could immediately tell his force feild when you would pvp him, so anyway a mod with over 800 wins replied with the same answer and that user ACTUALLY GOT BANNED. Point being that I don't think a lot of mods have the best knowledge or hacker evidence review or spotting them in-game.

Gibby

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci