• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Should MCGamer/MCSG go fully 1.8?

Should MCSG be fully 1.8?

• Yes

• No (state reasons why)

Results are only viewable after voting.

jerffy

Experienced
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am here to give my opinions on why MCGamer should go full on 1.8 and not stick with 1.7. I know a lot of you here still use 1.7; I personally use 1.8 and I will state the reasons why. I am using MCSG alone for this thread since none of the games are based off PvP (other than BG).

To begin with, 1.8 is simply more fair. I have seen a lot of people saying that 1.8 is based on your connection. I would have to say I disagree with that. Coming from personal experience of being connected with 190ms on good days and 250 on bad days that 1.8 is way more fair for people like me. If you remember, back in January 19 (I believe), MCGamer went fully 1.8. Of course no one likes change at the start, including me, but after playing it for a while I find 1.8 way better for myself. I could get hits which I would've never gotten in 1.7 because of my terrible ping. People could get the same hits on me but I didn't mind that, because the same people could get that kind of hits when the server was in 1.7 because of their ping. If you didn't know, I live in Asia. Australian servers should give me a better ping but for some reasons it gives me over 300 ping. EU servers are the same, which is why I play on US servers. I can therefore conclude that 1.8 is not ping based, it's way more fair than 1.7 is.

The second reason would be the ability to use F3 + A. If you are not aware, 1.8 disables the ability to spam F3 + A spamming to locate players. This gives a disadvantage to players in 1.8 as 1.7 players basically have X-Ray and are able to locate unknowing players easily. This allows 1.7 players to sneak up on 1.8 players and creates a severe disadvantage towards people like myself. I would not be able to see people near me unless I see their name tags. There really isn't a lot of difference between F3 + A spamming and using X-Ray hacks.

Finally, there is an issue with the blocks on maps with 1.8 blocks. Although developers have found a way to replace blocks with something else, the anti-cheat forbids players from walking on top of 1.8 blocks if you are on 1.7 and vice versa. This prevents players from looting tier 2 chests on some maps such as holiday resort 2 which is quite frustrating.

That's all for my opinions and reasons as to why MCGamer (or at least MCSG) should update to fully 1.8. Leave some feedback and reasons why you think the server should or should not update to fully 1.8 like half a year ago, thanks for reading :)

LuckSoh

Spectator
Reaction score
I don't think mscg should go full 1.8.Mainly because there a lot of mods(NOT HACKS)that haven't been updated to 1.8 yet and a lot of people use these mods for pvp like damage indicators,compass, and other mods along those pvp informational mod guidelines.Also because 1.7 is such a popular minecraft version I think it wouldhave a downward impact on the players.

Rail_

Gold
Reaction score
I want to agree with you here and say that MCGamer should fully update to 1.8, but I don't think it would have the best affect on the playerbase. I'm not sure what percent of MCGamer is still using 1.7 (I personally have been using 1.8 for a while) but I know that there is still a lot. Even though you have brought up many good points as to why MCGamer should switch, I don't know if this would be enough to convince the large percentage of players that use 1.7 to switch to 1.8 thus having an even more negative affect on the playerbase. Overall I agree with what you've talked about though I do see some significant cons with it if everyone doesn't get on board.

SnoopSean

Career
Reaction score
I was always a voucher for 1.8, because it's the highest updated version of the game, and all the people that aren't able to adapt to change can leave.

Look at a bunch of other servers, Hypixel, Mineplex (many of the gamemodes), many Reddit UHC's and all, the community is slowly but surely truly moving to 1.8, and it's because there are so many more things to work with in 1.8.

1.8 is not one sided bad for PVP, there are a lot more skills to use in it and a lot more features to go along with it.

Having a duel 1.7/1.8 is tough because there is a certain point where the compatibility ends, and that is indeed causing visible problems for the servers.

If MCGamer decides to go full 1.8, I'm all up for it.

bad2020

Experienced
Reaction score
I would say yes they should go fully 1.8 because there are features that make 1.8 easier such as spectating and more blocks to use for maps as well as barriers. It is a pain however because if you stay 1.7 games such as UHC are glitched and won't work and if you go 1.8 games such as Deadly Descent won't work properly...

Cameron

Diamond
Reaction score
I think it is a great idea. I honestly rather playing on 1.8 than 1.7 not only because it is easier to just log off and join another server, but my rod has become insane because of 1.8 and my sword and now have increased as well. I honestly think that 1.8 is a fine update and must people that want to stay on 1.7 just absolutely hate change (which I can understand).

I hear this statistic thrown around saying that 80% of players still use 1.8 even with 1.7 comparability. Most of those people that use 1.7 are the guys trying to get 50/55 ratios on their alts and complain about teams all the time. I support your idea six packs.

+1
I don't think mscg should go full 1.8.Mainly because there a lot of mods(NOT HACKS)that haven't been updated to 1.8 yet and a lot of people use these mods for pvp like damage indicators,compass, and other mods along those pvp informational mod guidelines.Also because 1.7 is such a popular minecraft version I think it wouldhave a downward impact on the players.
Almost all mods have been updated to 1.8 except some illegal mods like damage indicators...

jerffy

Experienced
Reaction score
I want to agree with you here and say that MCGamer should fully update to 1.8, but I don't think it would have the best affect on the playerbase. I'm not sure what percent of MCGamer is still using 1.7 (I personally have been using 1.8 for a while) but I know that there is still a lot. Even though you have brought up many good points as to why MCGamer should switch, I don't know if this would be enough to convince the large percentage of players that use 1.7 to switch to 1.8 thus having an even more negative affect on the playerbase. Overall I agree with what you've talked about though I do see some significant cons with it if everyone doesn't get on board.
While it is true that there are indeed quite a number of players that use 1.7, these people are the minority seeing as a lot of people I know already use 1.8. A lot of other servers have already been upgraded to set their game modes for 1.8 compatibility only, so sooner or later these people would have to upgrade as well. Making MCGamer fully 1.8 will allow them to have more time to get used to 1.8 so that when the time comes where most/all servers become 1.8, these players will not be too unadjusted.

Not sure if that made sense to you, I'm typing this while I'm on the bus at the moment :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci