• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Staff Resignation thread and Incident with Sr.Staff

ItsTrippyHippie

Platinum
Reaction score
Where to start... Being a moderator here has been both amazing, but also stressful. When I first got rehired after resigning the first time, I thought it was the most amaizng thing ever. I felt the same way as when I first got moderator. I was excited and ready to start helping out the server. I went through all my training and off I went, punishing players left and right. During my second time moderating, I kind of formed a small friend group, shoutout to my baes RDHL, love you all. This group of amazing people helped me through the hard times. Unforunately, the group started to drift away, as everyone started to take different paths. After a few months. A ton of staff members had started resigning, many of them being my friends. This was hard, but didn't stop me from doing what I enjoyed. After a few months of hard work, I started to get the feeling of lonliness, and not because I didn't have anyone to talk to, but because of the fact that the staff team felt as if it was drifting further and further. It didn't feel like a team anymore. There was a certain incident that sorta pushed me over the edge. I am not naming names whatsoever because the person who told me is not at fault. I was out of the blue messaged on slack one day, told that I had to talk with a member of the Sr.Staff. I got on teamspeak and was told that I needed to reattend general training. I immediately asked why this was. The reason was that I asked too many questions that I should know the answer to... not really a valid reason in my opinion. They are correct about the fact that I ask questions, mainly because I want to do my job correctly and make sure that the punishments are valid, sorry for trying to do my job properly? I then responeded, telling the Sr.Staff member that in my opinion, the training wouldn't help. I had already attended it and obviously I didn't learn the things that I was asking. I was then accused of not paying attention in my training, well, I did pass the quiz at the end so... not sure how they made that assumption. Another thing was the fact that the Sr.Staff member then told me to not punish until I had reattended the training. WHAT!?! I have been a MCGamer moderator for almost 9 months and now I can't punish? With all of the valid reasons that I listed, they were still going to make me get retrained... for asking questions. I thought this was the staff TEAM. A team works together and helps eachother, where is that relevant in the MCGamer Staff... it's not. I quote another Sr.Moderator at my first trainging, "feel free to always ask any questions that you have, the Sr.Staff doesn't bite". Thanks for that lie. Literally asked questions, and got bit... so.... idk. I then had just had enough and couldn't go on. Someone that I am lucky enough to call one of my Best Friends also had come to the desicion that they were done aswell. We decided to resign together. We hopped on teamspeak to talk with a Sr.Moderator. They started off by asking me the reason for my resignation. I told them why and then they asked my friends, "are you resigned because you want to follow Tanner?" Uh... that was kinda rude. Immediately assuming that my friend was resigning just because I was? No, my friend then said, no, and listed the reasons for their resignation. The Sr.Moderator simply said, ok, no emotion at all, and took our ranks. Now the Sr.Moderator later apologized for not showing any emotion and explained that she was said, but saw it coming, which is unerstandable. That was the day that MCGamer lost their two most acitve moderators. Whenever my friend and I would join teamspeak, we were the only ones... ALWAYS. Anyway, I didn't feel like being a staff was as enjoyable as it should have been and I feel like I was never recognized for my hard work and activity. The Sr.Staff is not as supportive of the moderators as they should be and maybe if that whole situation didn't occur, I would still have a red name, who knows. That is my story, 100% true, and I love you all.

Sanders

Team Helix
Reaction score
You're amazing Trippy. It's clear that the Sr. staff is doing something wrong telling amazing mods like you that you don't do your job correctly. Sad to see you leave, you were one of my favourites still left in the staff team, and I hope we will still have fun building on Helix every now and then. <3

Forums

Survivor
Reaction score
You shouldn't be punished for asking questions. It's much better to ask lots of questions than to make lots of mistakes, and there is no harm in double checking something before punishing a player.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
The reason was that I asked too many questions that I should know the answer to... not really a valid reason in my opinion. They are correct about the fact that I ask questions, mainly because I want to do my job correctly and make sure that the punishments are valid, sorry for trying to do my job properly? I then responeded, telling the Sr.Staff member that in my opinion, the training wouldn't help. I had already attended it and obviously I didn't learn the things that I was asking. I was then accused of not paying attention in my training, well, I did pass the quiz at the end so... not sure how they made that assumption. Another thing was the fact that the Sr.Staff member then told me to not punish until I had reattended the training. WHAT!?! I have been a MCGamer moderator for almost 9 months and now I can't punish? With all of the valid reasons that I listed, they were still going to make me get retrained... for asking questions.

But me and DarkNiightz resigned ages ago? :eek:

Dzbs

Iron
Reaction score
It's unfortunate to see you go Trippy, thanks for everything that you have done in regards to helping the community!

Vigilo

District 13
Reaction score
Hey Tanner, I don't know you very well, but it's sad to see you leave man. I read some things I wanted to react on and give my POV, this is totally not to be rude/unkind (or whatever) to you, just my POV as I said.

The reason was that I asked too many questions that I should know the answer to... not really a valid reason in my opinion. They are correct about the fact that I ask questions, mainly because I want to do my job correctly and make sure that the punishments are valid, sorry for trying to do my job properly?
When this happened, I was still Sr.Mod.

Asking questions is definitely a good thing don't get me wrong, however the Sr.Staff was right in my opinion to let you attend another training. If I recall correctly you seemed to be absent for some time and when you became active again (which we were really happy about, believe me), it seemed that you didn't totally understand everything that is covered in a general training. Only for the sake of improvement, we believed it was better that you would attend another training. This would both be beneficial for you and for the Sr.Staff; only positive reasoning.

I was then accused of not paying attention in my training, well, I did pass the quiz at the end so... not sure how they made that assumption. Another thing was the fact that the Sr.Staff member then told me to not punish until I had reattended the training. WHAT!?!
This occurred when I wasn't Sr.Mod anymore. Based on the facts this seems totally crazy to me. I can't judge if you were paying attention at the training, but you scored sufficiently on the quiz and that's what they wanted, so what the hell would the matter be then?! I have no idea why they wanted you to reattend, and based on this information it seems really rude and unprofessional move.

Good luck in live Tanner, hope you made the right decision (seems to me that you did).

TotalDramaTony

District 13
Reaction score
L O L WHAT? I come on this place to see what's up and I read this. Oh my dear lord.

First off, in regards to you asking too many questions causing them to want to re-train you, I can understand their decision, however I disagree. Asking questions is essential, and if you did not know the answers to the questions you were asking, it was not your fault completely. Both the trainer and trainee can be at fault. The trainer can be at fault for not making it clear enough, but the trainee can be at fault if they do not properly apply what they were taught and they made mistakes that should not have happened if you had listened to the training. I don't know what happened, but overall, maybe it was the right decision, who knows, but I can see why you're mad.

About the thing about you being staff for 9 months and that's proof you know what you're doing. Age/Time as staff does not mean you become a better/greater staff member, it's the experience that makes you the best staff member. Just because you've had the red name for 9 months does not mean you're automatically better than anyone who has been staff for less than that. Someone who has been staff for one or two months could very easily surpass any older mod if they dedicate themselves to the task, so being staff for 9 months means jack, it's what you do there.

Also side note, if a Sr. Staff asks why you're leaving, you do not have to tell them. That's a rule that I know was enforced. You can ask for the sole purpose of knowing if there is something wrong with MCGamer, i.e. staff doesn't like treatment, disagreement with decision, etc. If the reason is personal or does not involve MCGamer, you do not have to tell them, just a side note thing.

Last reaction I have is to the place not being fun or team. It's true. I haven't worked for this place in a minute, but just hearing how upset, frustrated and pissed other community members are, including current and former staff, it's clear to see the place is horrible right now. People are unhappy, and it's just not a fun place to be right now. It's a shame, I know it's frustrating because this place was a 2nd home for people like you and I, but there's just nothing we can do anymore unfortunately.

arsenal

District 13
Reaction score
Not to be rude or anything, but my personal opinion is that while it is totally fine to ask questions, after a certain amount of time the basic material (covered in the General Training) should start to stick in your brain and you shouldn't need to be asking questions on the simpler stuff that often. You may forget a thing here and there, but constantly needing help just means that you may need to review some material. I don't see much problem with them asking you to attend another training.

While this may seem like some kind of insult, it is a very normal thing. A ton of mods fail mod quizzes and half to get retrained. When I was staff I remember very large amounts of people ending up with "Needs Training Ranks" after some quizzes. Obviously you didn't go down this route, but you ended up in the same place just after going down a different path.

At the end of the day the Sr. Staff are responsible for making sure that the moderators are acting consistently. If they don't then they get lots of hate from the community. The only way this can happen is if they are confident that you can handle the typical situations on your own without needing help after your first few months.

ItsTrippyHippie

Platinum
Reaction score
Not to be rude or anything, but my personal opinion is that while it is totally fine to ask questions, after a certain amount of time the basic material (covered in the General Training) should start to stick in your brain and you shouldn't need to be asking questions on the simpler stuff that often. You may forget a thing here and there, but constantly needing help just means that you may need to review some material. I don't see much problem with them asking you to attend another training.

While this may seem like some kind of insult, it is a very normal thing. A ton of mods fail mod quizzes and half to get retrained. When I was staff I remember very large amounts of people ending up with "Needs Training Ranks" after some quizzes. Obviously you didn't go down this route, but you ended up in the same place just after going down a different path.

At the end of the day the Sr. Staff are responsible for making sure that the moderators are acting consistently. If they don't then they get lots of hate from the community. The only way this can happen is if they are confident that you can handle the typical situations on your own without needing help after your first few months.
this is all very true, but the thing is, I wan't asking questions about things covered in the training. I wasn't asking about slack, or the forums, or xime. Never has a training gone over how severe something must be in order to be deemed a certain punishment. That is where they need to train their moderators

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci