• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Quick Question for Map Makers

Electrix

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
didn't know where to put this, but eh. Move it if you like, I don't mind

Anyway, builders and map makers: what is the best way to decrease lighting lag? Do you fill in every underground hole, decreasing shadows, or do you keep as much air as possible, meaning less block updates and such?

I don't think it matters much in the long run, but I feel like it's best to ask rather than assume. I'm rebuilding my house in Minecraft at a 1 block = 1 inch scale, and it's going to be amazing :)

Berserker

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Lag is usually caused by the amount of leaves as light passes through them etc. blocks don't cause lag but stairs might. Just keep it simple with lights as you don't want lighting updates as they will lag you

Jusser

Career
Reaction score
Imo lighting lag is when MC has to process shadows. So if you make a big floating platform, MC has to process the shadow underneath what you're making, which causes lag specifically when destroying/placing blocks. Filling caves is a good step, as is hollowing out the map underneath. A thing to keep in mind though is any block that isn't a full block takes more processing power to render, so if you have millions of fences then it's going to lag you more than if you have millions of cobblestone blocks... hope this makes sense

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci