• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

PSA: Protect Yourself From Fake Skype Accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlpakaWhacker

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
PROTECT YOURSELF FROM FAKE SKYPE ACCOUNTS
*PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT*
By AlpakaWhacker

Also Available in Google Doc Form - https://bit.ly/1CNZXK0

Be wary when accepting some people on Skype. There are a number of "fake" skype accounts out there who are impersonating the people who they claim to be, in order to send you phishing links,

For example, here is one of the fake accounts (do not add him).

This is definitely not the real Vareide so if anyone get's a friend request from him on skype, don't accept.

Also do not accept any of the following skype accounts if they add you (and do not add them either) as they are all fake.

You'll notice that most of them are fake accounts of another communities staff members, chances are you won't come across them however since I do know that they are fake accounts, it is best to make you all aware of them.

Much like links shared on teamspeak, don't always immediately click on links sent to you, even from a trusted friend, as you never know, that close friend may have been compromised.

Phishing Links shared on skype tend to be sent in a similar format to those sent on teamspeak.
*EXAMPLES*
  • The user claims that you are going to be banned for an offense such as disrespecting an owner, spam, foul language etc, and tells you to login to a website with your Minecraft password to not be banned.
  • The user sends a link to the Optifine website claiming that you can claim a free optifine cape by logging in with your Minecraft password
  • The user sends a link to the Minecraft website claiming that you can claim your 1.8 username by logging in with your Minecraft password
  • The user claims to be banned on the Hive and wants you to look at their ban appeal or links you to a hive page (link having a letter such as i replaced by an l) - Yeh, that's right, they try to send fake hive links over here to trick people.... Stay on the look out however for any links which have some letters replaced by other letters.

UN-SHORTEN SHORTENED URLS

If you are ever sent a shortened URL, use this website - http://www.getlinkinfo.com/ or this website - http://checkshorturl.com/ to expand the URL to show exactly where it goes.

If you need a video tutorial for this then I've put one together...

The best advice here is don't click unfamiliar links (or links with unfamiliar extensions such as .src , .co , .scr , etc. ).

Last edited by a moderator:

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
I'd like to also mention that similar links have been sent over TeamSpeak, as well.
I was sent one that linked me to a Hive-like page over TeamSpeak by a random user who I'd never spoken to before, and I immediately found out that it was a phishing link. Luckily, I was able to report the user and didn't enter any personal information, but one of my friends said that he came close.

AlpakaWhacker

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I'd like to also mention that similar links have been sent over TeamSpeak, as well.
I was sent one that linked me to a Hive-like page over TeamSpeak by a random user who I'd never spoken to before, and I immediately found out that it was a phishing link. Luckily, I was able to report the user and didn't enter any personal information, but one of my friends said that he came close.
I'll be doing a similar thread in the next day or two dedicated to phishing links.

ZenosMC

Survivor
Reaction score
Good advice! A while ago I got linked to a 'free MCSG platinum donor' site. I lost my account that day(jk)

Miner9823

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
During the "Phishing link" incident, a lot of people had gathered in a chat room in Teamspeak, then someone sent a link that said "Suspiciouslink" or something like that, it was pretty scary to some people, and I've got to admit, this needs to be pinned in the front of the forums for people to see so they would know what they're dealing with. c:

AlgerWaterlow

Platinum
Reaction score
Warriorratchet's Skype was hacked like three times (either that or he was the one phishing) and he sent me 3-4 phishing links. I eventually had to defriend him after telling him at least twice "Dude your Skype was hacked" and heard nothing from him after either time so I'd assumed he couldn't access his account anymore.

Nikocheeko

Diamond
Reaction score
PROTECT YOURSELF FROM FAKE SKYPE ACCOUNTS
*PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT*
By AlpakaWhacker

Also Available in Google Doc Form - https://bit.ly/1CNZXK0

Be wary when accepting some people on Skype. There are a number of "fake" skype accounts out there who are impersonating the people who they claim to be, in order to send you phishing links,

For example, here is one of the fake accounts (do not add him).

This is definitely not the real Vareide so if anyone get's a friend request from him on skype, don't accept.

Also do not accept any of the following skype accounts if they add you (and do not add them either) as they are all fake.

You'll notice that most of them are fake accounts of another communities staff members, chances are you won't come across them however since I do know that they are fake accounts, it is best to make you all aware of them.

Much like links shared on teamspeak, don't always immediately click on links sent to you, even from a trusted friend, as you never know, that close friend may have been compromised.

Phishing Links shared on skype tend to be sent in a similar format to those sent on teamspeak.
*EXAMPLES*
  • The user claims that you are going to be banned for an offense such as disrespecting an owner, spam, foul language etc, and tells you to login to a website with your Minecraft password to not be banned.
  • The user sends a link to the Optifine website claiming that you can claim a free optifine cape by logging in with your Minecraft password
  • The user sends a link to the Minecraft website claiming that you can claim your 1.8 username by logging in with your Minecraft password
  • The user claims to be banned on the Hive and wants you to look at their ban appeal or links you to a hive page (link having a letter such as i replaced by an l) - Yeh, that's right, they try to send fake hive links over here to trick people.... Stay on the look out however for any links which have some letters replaced by other letters.

UN-SHORTEN SHORTENED URLS

If you are ever sent a shortened URL, use this website - http://longurl.org/expand or this website - http://unshort.me/ to expand the URL to show exactly where it goes.

If you need a video tutorial for this then I've put one together...

This is interesting. I have heard about things like this. Thank you for the warnings, it will probably help people in the long run!

AlgerWaterlow

Platinum
Reaction score
Probably the best advice here is "don't click unfamiliar links" (or links with unfamiliar extensions such as .src , .co , .scr , etc. ).

AlpakaWhacker

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Probably the best advice here is "don't click unfamiliar links" (or links with unfamiliar extensions such as .src , .co , .scr , etc. ).
I stuck what you said at the bottom of the Post as it is indeed good advice :) Hope you don't mind.

Cole

Platinum
Reaction score
Now that i know this is happening must tell everyone.

Nothing is free
if you broke a rule how would they get your minecraft account and your skype and why would they contact you over skype?
And optifine capes arent free :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci