• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Proof Minecraft is not dying.. at least not for a long time...

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Hey guys
So I kinda got sick and tired of those aggressively annoying threads that say that "MC IS DYING RIP RIP RIP". Today I am ready to address this issue to everybody. I will systematically investigate trend lines and everything of that sort.

This will be kinda short since I am typing on my phone.

Minecraft PC hit 10m sales in early 2013

It hit 15m sales in early-mid 2014

It hit 20m sales in mid 2015

So yeah it's slowing down slightly but the growth rate is so ridiculous that it will take a very very very very very long time to fade out if it continues at this pace. When I say rediculous I mean REDICULOUS. 13k people have bought it in the last 24 hours: www.minecraft.net/stats

Let's propose the current declination rate stays consistent.
It will hit 25m in mid-late 2016
It will hit 30m in late 2017
It will hit 35m in early 2019
It will hit 40m in late 2020
Etc
It's basically not slowing down anytime soon and will probably never fully die out like games such as Pokemon because it's had such an impact on the gaming community.

Anyways now let's address the problem of why people believe it's dying.
1. Youtubers slowing changing to other games
Yes this is because youtubers will get bored of it. However other youtubers will come to take their place.
2. The PvP community
Yeah the pvp community is certainly going downhill but I think it will be alright as long as everyone is a bit nicer to everyone else.
3. MCSG
Yes. It is slowly dying and more and more people are leaving. It will almost certainly die out well before mc fully fades. However it has at least 2.5 years in it (prob 5).
4. People leaving
Yes people will leave but everytime someone leaves they usually make a goodbye thread and everything. On the contrary, when someone joins you don't know them or know about it. It could give you the illusion that it's losing players, where it's not.

Thanks and have an ebullient day and weeks to come everyone!

Ps: I'm not going anywhere ever so if u hate me ur gonna have to leave yourself. On a different note I will be starting a new channel in the winter for more serious irl topics but nonetheless I'll still be uploading mc.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
3. MCSG
Yes. It is slowly dying and more and more people are leaving. It will almost certainly die out well before mc fully fades. However it has at least 2.5 years in it (prob 5).
The key to keeping MCGamer alive is two things really.

• Doing a better job on educating the staff regarding hacked clients and how to identify/stop them
  • Implementing a fool proof anticheat, or at least one that detects more than noob clients :] (Which is currently awaiting some updates and new features, so do not worry)
  • Having a less toxic and pessimistic playerbase.
Yes, MCGamer really hasn't grown at all in the last year, however if we work on getting the staff and community on the same page, as well as adding features to attract new users, we can skyrocket.

Electrix

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
There will probably be a time where a few public servers dominate Minecraft multiplayer. Two, namely Mineplex and Hypixel, are already huge, both with over 10,000 players consistently. This could be upsetting, but I don't have a very hard time imagining a few servers I play on coming together and forming a much larger network. Just a theory though, something to think about.

Although MCSG is slowly decreasing in players, it's still an 1000 player network. There are a few key issues that the staff will have to acknowledge in order to survive another few years, but I think they'll be quickly realized as a new generation of mods come.

Doing a better job on educating the staff
Actually, I think it's in our best interest to educate everybody. Not just about hackers but about rules, tips, and more. It would be awesome to see a few hundred people all being able to get along on a PvP server. c:

Vinyl

Diamond
Reaction score
The key to keeping MCGamer alive is two things really.

• Doing a better job on educating the staff regarding hacked clients and how to identify/stop them
  • Implementing a fool proof anticheat, or at least one that detects more than noob clients :] (Which is currently awaiting some updates and new features, so do not worry)
  • Having a less toxic and pessimistic playerbase.
Yes, MCGamer really hasn't grown at all in the last year, however if we work on getting the staff and community on the same page, as well as adding features to attract new users, we can skyrocket.
Okay sure that'd be nice but that doesn't really have to do much with exposure and marketing.

The decline started around the "Mcgamer v2" update, so if I had to guess it'd be the spiraling bad decisions and events that came from that. Most would blame it on the removal of 1.7 or the leaderboard update (Which should really just be called the reset since nothing actually came from it).

The real culprit? The rebranding to mcgamer.net. MCSG's main source of players used to come from the google search "Minecraft Hunger Games" which has now been taken over by BajanCanadian. Searching "Minecraft Survival Games" will still come up with a fairly quick result, but the link "mcgamer.net" doesn't really scream "Survival Games" and more screams "Annoying nasally Youtuber".

Mamiamato24

Diamond
Reaction score
I don't really think anyone was denying that Minecraft was dying, but rather that McGamer is slowly fading away, and there are a multitude of reasons for this (please note: this is just how I view things, maybe some specific parts aren't completely correct/accurate.)

1. There really isn't very much variety. McGamer is known for it SG and it probably always will, while their other gamemodes are quite underwhelming. Other servers like Hive and Mineplex are just doing the whole minigames thing so much better.

2. MCSG is very specialized and only caters for a certain crowd. There aren't very many popular servers that are based entirely around one single gamemode. Eventually people will get bored and will want to seek more (maybe an exception is UHC). Nowadays, MCSG is pretty much a glorified PvP experience, which can be found at many other servers.

3. The movie. The main reason why MCSG started originally was because of the movies. Their overwhelming success is what really skyrocketed McGamer's popularity back in the day, as well as the initial big YouTuber event back in April 2012. Once the movie series is over, people will forget about Hunger Games.

4. The McGamer US network has 5000 servers in total because the maximum capacity that the network was ever at was around 25 000. This most likely occurred in the Bajan Canadian era of late 2013/early 2014, as he helped greatly in promoting the server. Nowadays, there are no more than (usually) 2000 players on the US network at any given time, meaning that it's unlikely we'll ever reach that 25 000 at McGamer's prime.

5. Content Creators. Most popular content creators that once created Survival Games videos have since stopped this, such as Bajan, Graser10, Huahwi, StacySays, etc. There are generally much less popular YouTubers appearing on the servers, which reduces significantly the number of new arrivals.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci