• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Guide Planning A Map [GUIDE]

FourthState

Survivor
Reaction score
When most of us MCSG players hop on the server we are in awe of some of the beautiful, stunning and detailed Survival Games maps. And that gets some of us thinking... why don't I build my own map?

Firstly, this is a great idea and anyone who wants to should be encouraged to build their very own map. I am not referring to any specific maps when I say that, some of the ideas in the 'Completed Maps' and 'Maps In Progress' make me cringe slightly. The reason why? Well it's simple, when a map isn't well thought out, well planned and unique, the building, terraforming and redstoning all suffer. And hopefully this guide will help you to plan your map and as a consequence greatly increase its chances of being accepted by MCSG.

Disclaimer: This is not a guide on how to build, terraform or redstone. If you are looking for a guide on how to terraform, I suggest you check out BlueHeron's guide here.

1. Okay, the first thing you will need is an idea. This may seem slightly easy, however before you put anything in blocks, think.

• Is there a map that already utilises this theme?
  • Will it be fun to play?
  • Will it be possible to build?
2. To give an example, most maps on MCSG, have little in common with one another. What I am saying is that, if you make a map that is too similar in terms of style, block selection, setting and the theme, it is unlikely to make it onto the MCSG servers. You need to think of an original idea that no one has done before.

Secondly, you need to fill in the blanks. Let's say we have an idea for a Jurassic themed map, (a good one seeing as no maps on MCSG currently use this this theme).

• Time periodic - Jurassic (obviously) 100 - 65 million years ago
  • How many cornucopias - Lets say 1
  • Players (24/48/120) - 24
  • Radius - 250
For more information regarding sizes and features, see Dave's thread on map guidelines.

3. Next, draw out a plan for your map, at first this may seem a bit silly, but if you have an initial idea of where you want everything to go and what you want, building will be more organised and productive. For example, the map I am currently leading called 'Plantations' (which you can check out here), has had 2 different conceptual drawings done to position features of the map.

4. Begin to build! Now that you have your idea driving the map, your statistics, such as radius and time period, and your conceptual plan you should be ready to start building a successful MCSG map with greater chances of it being accepted!

Thanks for reading this guide, I hope it helped you, and if you are thinking of building a map, go ahead!

Side Note: The reason this guide should be helpful for people thinking of building their own maps is because it shows that you need to have a clear idea and theme before you start building, meaning you won't have to 'Just go with it.' And that instead you know what you want, from the start, and that you know what sets you aside form all those other map makers.

Reaction score
If anyone has heard of Legos, they are a great tool to use for planning your builds. In fact, sometimes I use them to think of ideas for a map. No, it isn't just a toy. Anyway, I like the guide!

BlueHeron

District 13
Reaction score
Though you're not an experienced SG map builder, these tips are true, and helpful. Hopefully builders will see this guide, and take advice from it.

MCGamerzism

Platinum
Reaction score
Ahaha I know what you mean when you say cringe! Some people have no idea what they are doing when making maps and I just scroll down there thread and be like....this person wasted a lot of time xD

Fireized

Diamond
Reaction score
If anyone has heard of Legos, they are a great tool to use for planning your builds. In fact, sometimes I use them to think of ideas for a map. No, it isn't just a toy. Anyway, I like the guide!
wow i never thought about that :3 I have a huge box of legos under my bed, I'll try it out sometime :)

cadbane4321

District 13
Reaction score
I would recommend building a mini-map that is like 10x smaller that the real thing. I did this when building Turbulence:

It helped me stay organized and know where everything was going to go. Of course I changed the map from the original design, but the mini-map did help a lot.

Chiller4

District 13
Reaction score
Helpful tips! I I ever got good at building, I would use these.

Nick

Community Engagement & Mapping Team Representative
Reaction score
Great guide! Added the guide prefix to it. You should consider joining kith... Oh wait.

EDIT: I'm gonna ask if I can sticky this :p.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci