• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Need Help Overclocking!

GamerChappy

Experienced
Reaction score
EDIT: After playing for about 15min this is what my temp was with the cooling pad under my computer: http://prntscr.com/2i6j03 is that good enough to overclock?
70 degrees Celsius (I'm Australian) for just 15 minutes is not that good. My computer gets to that after playing MCSG for about 2 hours. You also commented that your frames jump a bit. We're going to kill two birds with one stone and fix your framerates and make your laptop even cooler. Here's how to do to it:

1. Go to Control Panel and select Power Options.
2. Click Create a power plan and choose High Performance. I named the new plan "Minecraft."
3. Adjust the screen brightness and sleep times to your liking, and then click Create.
4. The new plan will be listed in the main Power Options window. Find it and click Change plan settings, and then choose Change advanced power settings.
5. Expand the Processor Power Management item, and then under Minimum processor state (plugged in), enter a value of 70%. Do the same for Maximum processor state (plugged in).
6. Leave all other settings as-is, and click OK. Make sure your new power plan is active.
7. (Optional) Launch Minecraft, and under Video Settings, enable VSync. (Optional because your computer doesn't reach the VSync cap :p)

You should see a drop of about 80 degrees Fahrenheit with these new settings, and should be hitting constant frames in the high 50-60s. The reason I'm getting you to do all these is that overclocking isn't going to help a computer like yours. You will only get about half a gigahertz out of that but your temperatures will rise dramatically. If you really want to overclock your CPU/GPU, then say so. I wouldn't recommend it, though: Your computer isn't tough enough to handle it. =/

UpdatinStatus

Platinum
Reaction score
70 degrees Celsius (I'm Australian) for just 15 minutes is not that good. My computer gets to that after playing MCSG for about 2 hours. You also commented that your frames jump a bit. We're going to kill two birds with one stone and fix your framerates and make your laptop even cooler. Here's how to do to it:

1. Go to Control Panel and select Power Options.
2. Click Create a power plan and choose High Performance. I named the new plan "Minecraft."
3. Adjust the screen brightness and sleep times to your liking, and then click Create.
4. The new plan will be listed in the main Power Options window. Find it and click Change plan settings, and then choose Change advanced power settings.
5. Expand the Processor Power Management item, and then under Minimum processor state (plugged in), enter a value of 70%. Do the same for Maximum processor state (plugged in).
6. Leave all other settings as-is, and click OK. Make sure your new power plan is active.
7. (Optional) Launch Minecraft, and under Video Settings, enable VSync. (Optional because your computer doesn't reach the VSync cap :p)

You should see a drop of about 80 degrees Fahrenheit with these new settings, and should be hitting constant frames in the high 50-60s. The reason I'm getting you to do all these is that overclocking isn't going to help a computer like yours. You will only get about half a gigahertz out of that but your temperatures will rise dramatically. If you really want to overclock your CPU/GPU, then say so. I wouldn't recommend it, though: Your computer isn't tough enough to handle it. =/

Thanks again for all the help it seems to be working quite well! Thanks again man <3 very informative and helpful!

GamerChappy

Experienced
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the help it seems to be working quite well! Thanks again man <3 very informative and helpful!
Happy to help. I've got one more little improvement for you which should see you hitting constant 60s, but I need to have breakfast. :p

GamerChappy

Experienced
Reaction score
Now, the last thing we are going to do is Unpark your CPU(s). This works best with more memory-intensive games (a lot of the time with big explosions), but this will still boost your frame-rate by 10, maybe 20 percent.

CPU's when being used are always programmed with registry code to 'Park' memory to save power. Often when going into a PvP battle you might notice small, yet disorientating lag spikes. These are caused by lag from memory of your CPU being allocated to that program.

What this program does, is it un-parks your CPU(s), giving you better response time and faster draws in-game, eliminating that annoying pause while playing a game. It normally works best with more powerful/multi-cores, but it will still do a lot of good. I un-parked my CPUs and now I can run BF4 at a constant 25-30 FPS, when I was getting 5-10 before.

1. Download CPU Unparker here
2. Unzip the folder.
3. Run "UnparkCPU.exe". If a UAC window pops up, click 'Yes'.
4. Click 'Check Status' and wait for the program to scan the registry.
5. Once the program has finished scanning the registry, click 'Unpark All'.
6. Restart your computer and start playing.

That's it. I hope all of these improvements help you achieve better frame-rates and stop the need to overclock.
Happy Gaming. :)

UpdatinStatus

Platinum
Reaction score
Now, the last thing we are going to do is Unpark your CPU(s). This works best with more memory-intensive games (a lot of the time with big explosions), but this will still boost your frame-rate by 10, maybe 20 percent.

CPU's when being used are always programmed with registry code to 'Park' memory to save power. Often when going into a PvP battle you might notice small, yet disorientating lag spikes. These are caused by lag from memory of your CPU being allocated to that program.

What this program does, is it un-parks your CPU(s), giving you better response time and faster draws in-game, eliminating that annoying pause while playing a game. It normally works best with more powerful/multi-cores, but it will still do a lot of good. I un-parked my CPUs and now I can run BF4 at a constant 25-30 FPS, when I was getting 5-10 before.

1. Download CPU Unparker here
2. Unzip the folder.
3. Run "UnparkCPU.exe". If a UAC window pops up, click 'Yes'.
4. Click 'Check Status' and wait for the program to scan the registry.
5. Once the program has finished scanning the registry, click 'Unpark All'.
6. Restart your computer and start playing.

That's it. I hope all of these improvements help you achieve better frame-rates and stop the need to overclock.
Happy Gaming. :)

Thanks man trying it now!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci