• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

My Rant about Mod Application's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gipper

Tribute
Reaction score
About the mature factor, for all we know, you could be acting mature for the title. I agree with both sides, but in the slight possibility they DO change it, most 13 year old's will not make it. Which is not fair at all. If it gets changed, all i would have to do is write a couple paragraphs using mature words, and sentences. I think that mods should have to study the younger ones, like you and see how mature, and responsible they act on a daily basis on the servers.
For example, if i was 14 or older, and a 13 year old had the power to ban me, i would feel a little uncomfortable, and angry. If a 15 year old banned me, I would respect their decision more.

M

MrKorrenian

Like I said they used to accept people in extremely rare occasions ( I can recall one time that someone under the age limit was accepted ). We're not asking that every single under the age applicant would be accepted, but that in the rare case an amazing applicant came under the age limit could be accepted.

M

MrKorrenian

Also '' rant '' wasn't the right word to use in this situation maybe. Opinions. Or thoughts.

Diar

District 13
Reaction score
About the mature factor, for all we know, you could be acting mature for the title. I agree with both sides, but in the slight possibility they DO change it, most 13 year old's will not make it. Which is not fair at all. If it gets changed, all i would have to do is write a couple paragraphs using mature words, and sentences. I think that mods should have to study the younger ones, like you and see how mature, and responsible they act on a daily basis on the servers.
For example, if i was 14 or older, and a 13 year old had the power to ban me, i would feel a little uncomfortable, and angry. If a 15 year old banned me, I would respect their decision more.
If you apply when you're 13, it'll take a lot more than fancy words and a few sentences to get accepted.

M

MrKorrenian

That's not always the case, real maturity is often realising that something needs to change, and having the courage to step forward and state your arguments as to why it should change, if maturity was as you say, nothing would move forward, we'd still be living in the dark ages.
I was a bit sceptical about his main post, but his second actually changed my opinion on the matter, maybe there are 14, 13, hell maybe even 12 year olds out there that are mature enough to moderate a server.
I'm not saying that all 12, 13 and 14 year olds should be considered, but if they have been considered in the past, and with good yield, it seems nonsensical to not even consider extreme cases now.
Having said all of that, I will concede that it can be hard to know whether the candidate is lying or not, and that the person could be using a facade in order to gain the privileges for abuse, but on the whole, people will not want to waste the time doing so, as they will know that they will most likely be kicked from the team soon after abusing the power, so the time spent on the application will be wasted to them.
Hopefully this kid can get enough people on board to get his point noticed and considered for reviewal, good luck MrKorrenian.
'' Kid '' Come on man that's hurtful

Lukas Bisket

Career
Reaction score
Let's be honest here, I'm completely split on both sides. But what makes me lean towards the age limit is think of the real world; there is a reason why you have to be 16 to apply for most jobs. They see people who are 13 and just laugh if they ask for a job application, no matter if they are mature or not. Also, if you are in teamspeak and a person hears your voice some people will not take you seriously. (Not korrenian, he has the voice of a 33 year old)

Rhino1928

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Okay yes i do agre with you on some points of your rant :) I believe if you application is like absolutely AMAZING beyond belief (#Tigerstain4Mod2013 <3) that you should at least be given a chance at moderator. Then again i do agree with subv3rsion that with underage people, there is that maturity factor to consider.

Now there is ''Creative moderator'', Maybe if Chad lowered the age for this to 14 (with a min. age of 13). And they did very well on the creative server as mod with maturity etc. then they could be given a chance at SG mod.

Plg21

District 13
Reaction score
There is one simple reason that younger people can the moderator. We (I'm saying this because I am 13, so I will use "we" to represent my age group) may be mature at most points when we are calm and thinking, but like people have said we have our ups and downs. I though I could be mod, but the day I started writing my application I had a fight with my sister and realized. Wasnt ready, and I wasn't mature enough. You may think your mature, but kids our age have mood swings and emotional moments where they aren't thinking.

The problem with most kids is that they make rash desisions. That is why teenagers get in a lot of trouble. We can easily be influenced by peer pressure and other things like a game. A good mature mod has to be able to keep their cool, think, and make a mature honest decision in a time they are witnessing rule breaking or even being harassed themselves. Knowing the community right now, anyone too young would be pushed and harassed in game and on ts or the forums to see how far they will go before they lose their cool and make an immature desision. This is why younger people aren't chosen.

You also have to think that, if you were the only one to apply, then you might be accepted for an interview or at least looked over. But when their are 5 other 15+ year olds applying they will get picked over you easily because they are the apsafer, surer choice. Mcsg wants to be able to make a confident desision that they can trust and feel good about. They don't want to be questioning or anticipating to see how you survive. They want to be confident you will do a good job. Just my thoughts, thanks for reading :p.

Tigerstain

Diamond
Reaction score
Agreeing with Korrenian here. The second I learned that the moderator applications were opening the next day, I instantly quit my MCSG game and went into WordPad to write it out. I got the template off of one of my previous denied apps and began writing. I took literally 5 hours to type it all out and then I edited for another 2. I made sure I had everything perfect, explained EVERY detail with excessive text, and then posted the next morning. Within the hour, I get a reply from a Sr. Mod that it was denied for one reason: "I'm sorry, but you are too young for a moderator application, you may apply again when you're older." I stared at the screen for a minute thinking "Well, there goes 5 hours of my life". After reading this, I went on teamspeak and asked my respected denier and asked why there's an age limit. I got a very vague response, basically just saying that there were past moderators who abused their power, blah blah blah. But if they were immature, then their application and/or interview couldn't have been very good, right? My application has around 1200 words and 6000 characters, I put a lot of effort into it, and I'd say it looks pretty good. There should AT LEAST be an interview for the underage applicants who have good applications. While I was talking on teamspeak with my denier, (s)he told me that if I wasn't underage I would have gotten an interview, you can't necessarily tell if someone is mature just in their application, but you for sure can in an interview. Also; 13 year olds have more time on our hands to donate to the servers, we don't have giant exams to study for, we don't have to go to work, we go to school, finish our 2 hour homework, then play MCSG for 5 hours, which is why (mature) 13 year olds could benefit SO much more to these servers. I ask of any Sr. Mods/Admins reading this; please choose, and when you do, have a rock solid reason.

Bowhoo

Diamond
Reaction score
I realize the senior moderators and admins probably get these kinda rants enough, but I can't help state my opinion

Being 13 myself and a wanna be mod make's me very dissapointed to see '' No exceptions will be made for people under the age of 15 ''. Recently applications have re - opened and I took some 4 - 5 hours writing an application. After writing it, revising, and editing and even getting my ELA teacher to look over it I applied. Like I said i'm 13 and I learned that they had scrapped the rule about making some exceptions after Tironas was chosen for moderator. I feel this rule that no exceptions will be made is kind of unfair to the people that are too young of the position that could get moderator. I personally think that if they have an amazing enough application and you think they may be moderator potential that you should give them an interview. They did that with some people and they have turned out to be good mods. All in all. They should consider giving people under the age an interview. Yes some 14 year olds and under can be very immature but there are some that are different. I hope this makes a difference, but if not. You'll see my application when i'm 15!
I am bowhoo, and I approve this message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci