• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Mom of a noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilbit6

Spectator
Reaction score
Hi all. I am considering setting my daughter up on here, but have a couple of questions. I have read the entire Rules and Regulations document, but still want to ask.

First, she wants to play survival games, like Hunger Games. My son already plays on another server and says it's the same as the movie. Everyone rushes towards a bunch of stuff when the whistle blows, then tries to kill each other. Correct?

Second, she is very young. We're talking under 10. We don't cuss, except for stuff like damn or crap, unless we drop a bowling ball on our foot, etc. :). We don't use crude humor, and try to be polite. Are the survival game servers here appropriate for someone like this?

Thanks!

Matt_The Dreamer

Mockingjay
Reaction score
1) Yeah you're right. There's a countdown then the game starts. Everyone rushes to the middle to try and get weapons to kill other players.

2) There is a swear filter on the servers meaning any swear words are replaced with @#%. Although there are ways I've seen to get past it by placing . In between

zorrodc

Career
Reaction score
Hello, and thank you for posting this. First of all, as a moderator of these forums and games, I consider it extremely important to keep the chat and gameplay PG. However, there are not unlimited moderators, and they can not stop problems before they arise. People can say things that can be crude and hurtful, and although we will deal with them accordingly, they still can say it. I have a younger brother who uses these servers, and he sees what is said in the chat, and knows what is wrong to say. If you let your daughter play, there is a fair chance that she could come across a hurtful person or group of people. If this happens, one of the moderators can take care of it, but she will still have seen it. Bottom line is: If you let her play on here, she may see some form of unpleasant language. We can not prevent this from happening, but we will do our best to make sure she (and everyone else) is safe. It's your call.

Edit: As to what Matt_TheDreamer said, there is a swear filter on. But it does not do a perfect job, it only edits out foul language if it is exactly as the filter picks it up. Many people know how to bypass it, and many words are not filtered.

shoottomaim

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Adding on to what zorrodc said, if a player is found to be bypassing the swear filter by adding spaces or punctuation between the word(s) they will be punished for an amount of time. The amount of time depends on their prior offences (if any) and the extent of the profanity used. I'd just like to say that the profanity isn't restricted to MCSG (Minecraft Survival Games); you can find cuss words all over the internet. So, in general, you should be asking yourself whether or not to let your daughter/son use the internet at all. We at MCSG pride ourselves in making sure our community comes first, but the same can't be said for other websites/communities.

shoottomaim

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Wait, a mom would call her daughter a noob?
She's probably new to the internet and might think that noob is exactly the definition Wikipedia says it is.
"a slang term for a novice or a newcomer, or someone who is inexperienced in a profession or activity."
Zorrodc=mean
He's not mean, he just wants to avoid argument with you.

DisabledAngel

Survivor
Reaction score
Before doing so I suggest you inform her of the dangers of the internet (if you haven't already) and how to contact a member of staff if something arises.

Lilbit6

Spectator
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. I found out these are the servers my son plays on, and he is kinda protective of what his sister sees/hears. He says they're basically okay, and turned down the font size and opacity of her Chat so it's harder for her to see. Lol. We do restrict what she can do online, and she knows if she's caught in any unapproved website, she loses her laptop for days. But, we also know we can't protect her forever.

As for me choosing to call her a noob, I did so after researching it online. Lol. I am a Minecraft newb. She, however, can be considered a noob. One Urban Dictionary example: 2. Noobs generally get extremely upset over being beaten and can not admit that they are bad at the game. Often they will accuse the skilled people of hacking.

She is a diva and a princess. Always thinking she can either smile prettily or throw a fit to get her way and have people simply give her things or do things for her. Can't tell you how many times I've see her charm a classmate into carrying her full backpack along with their own, just because she was tired or whatever. Lol. We have a battle of wills almost every day. :)

Lilbit6

Spectator
Reaction score
Before doing so I suggest you inform her of the dangers of the internet (if you haven't already) and how to contact a member of staff if something arises.
Thanks. Her brother and I will go over it with her. Me on the whys and him on the how. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci