• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

MCSG I need your help

Foink

Spectator
Reaction score
My name is Foink or Bennyboo, and I am struggling.

I have been playing Minecraft PVP since late 2014 and I am still trash after almost 6 years. Throughout these years I frequently played MCSG and practiced loads on badlion while the two servers were up. I learned to hotkey in 2015 and to jitter in 2016.

Somehow after all these years and experience that I have gained, I am god awful at PvP still. I have NEVER been able to learn the fishing rod technique, and what bothers me most is I absolutely, positively can not ever get a combo. In fact, I almost always trade hits while practicing in battlegrounds or on hypixel, and almost always get completely combo'ed in survival games.

After self-reflection of my skills, this is what I know:
  • My ping is not the issue, (average 37ms)
  • I perform slightly worse in SG than in BG or hypixel due to for some reason having much more adrenaline in SG
  • My best attribute is the bow, but I suddenly whiff every shot when under the stress of finally making it to deathmatch which causes me to frequently die to bowspam.
  • People typically get 3+ hit combos on me in every game

I need an answer to my failure. Why am I still so awful at the game (specifically sword pvp)? I have been keeping a closer eye on my aim/crosshair placement but see no difference in my performance. I must be doing something wrong, but I am flustered because it feels like I'm doing everything right. I keep my crosshair on the player, I strafe well, I jitterclick fast, etc., but in the end I just get obliterated and left to try and understand what went wrong. Anyone who can alleviate any of my frustration, please come to my aid. I ask that people who might know of a contributor to my troubles reply to this thread, and anyone wholehearted enough to play some games/1v1s with me to teach me/show me what I'm failing at would be SO appreciated.

Edog

Platinum
Reaction score
You perform better in non-SG pvp because you are constantly focusing on your aim. It's like DM in CS, your aim can be nut in DM and then you get into a comp game and you're aiming terribly because you don't put as much conscious focus on your aim as you do in DM. As for the bow and whiffing, it all comes down to not panicking and just thinking before every shot, a bow duel is just a guessing games and whoever guesses right more wins, just slow down a think when you get into a bow fight. As for sword pvp, all I can say is don't click too fast because say for example you can click 12-13 cps max on a kohi click test but in game (without sacrificing your aim) you can only click 8-10. Go with the 8-10 because you want your aim to be as smooth as possible while maintaining a relatively high click speed. Finally, two things that I learned to focus on a while back that helped me were my aim (I have a custom crosshair that I can see clearly with an outline to help me focus) and on my rod skill. If you become adept with a fishing rod, it doesn't matter as much if you can't aim because no one will be able to combo you.

Bruva

Spectator
Reaction score
Without a rod, fns and Iron+ sword it can be really difficult to win against cleaners and teamers. Strategic playstyle is far more important than cps and pvp.

Keep in mind that every bow shot, flint n steel, sword hit is draining your opponent, giving you the upper hand when you melee.

Good Luck :)

4non

Platinum
Reaction score
you can hit players when they're 2.5 blocks away from you. if you time it right, you can hit them once, back out of their reach distance so they can't hit you, then move forward again and continue the combo etc. this is possible with block hitting, w tapping as well as s tapping (the best option imo)

aim and movement are the most important aspects of sword pvp, click speed is a plus but means nothing if it messes with your aiming ability. with bows it's really just a matter of memorizing arrow trajectories and guessing where the player will be next, a lot of it depends on the enemy and whether or not they know how to dodge arrows

try playing on 1v1 servers and try to strafe using w or s tapping if you time it right you literally cannot be hit at all, that's why sometimes it seems like your opponent is hitting you from 6 blocks away when in reality they're 2.5 blocks away on their screen

edit: none of this information can be reliably applied to this server in its current state with its broken hit registration

edit 2: I'd also like to mention that being overly passive is the way to go in nearly every situation, unless you're cleaning up or trying to split a team before deathmatch. the longer you stay alive the more arrows you'll have to spam people with in DM. even if there's a team, a bow (especially an enchanted one) does some serious damage.

Last edited:

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
You can be the best pvper on God’s green earth and be absolute garbage at MCSG. The game is all about strategy and self preservation- something I took way too long to learn myself. Never fight someone on their terms, always make sure you’re in control of as much as you can be. I found it most helpful to always keep the win in mind even when a risky kill is tempting. It’s not worth going after someone if it’s highly likely you’ll die as a result. In other words, don’t win the battle but lose the war. Plus, always making other people fight on your terms can help calm you down and help you make the right choices.

also, don’t get too down on yourself for losing fights nowadays cause the hit registration is basically a dice roll. It’s taken me a long time to even kinda figure out how to predict it

IlicMaster

Platinum
Reaction score
I personally think that even if you're one of the best pvpers arouns, you still have a chance to be a complete noob on MCSG (SG mainly). The gamemode itself is completely different from the others and for me, the only thing that got me better was practicing and playing over and over again.

When you're out of nerves or you die really fast in 10 games straight, make a break and then continue.

Hope this helps!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci