• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

MCGamer gone downhill

Would you prefer 1.7 or 1.8 ?

Votes: 79 61.2%

Votes: 50 38.8%

• Total voters

powdski

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Please stop with these complaint threads.

Zetzus

Platinum
Reaction score
Please stop with these complaint threads.
Why?

People are allowed to express their opinions, this thread illustrates everything that is wrong with MCSG. It is a great template for the devs to work off, that is just like me saying to you "Stop complaining about people complaining".

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
PvP has changed quite a bit through the years and it's all a matter of getting used to.
Eg; I know I can't hit anyone on 1.8 because of jitter clicking so I adapt and stop jitter clicking.

Being able to adapt is the key.
Survival of the fittest as always.

Twistology

Career
Reaction score
So what do you recommend MCG does, just live in the past because it has "better pvp" and never update it to any later versions of Minecraft and miss out on all the other futures that will be added later down the road.
they should have waited until a more stable version came out before updating
No-one ever said we should never update. That's an argument used by mods in the hope that Chad recognises them

ForrestGump1400

Tribute
Reaction score
1.8 is laggy but it has only been released a few days so it will have bugs like on anything new there will be flaws. Soon it will become the normal because you will have got used to it and them bugs will be fixed.

Coferic

Gold
Reaction score
Okay....

I can tell already, this thread serves no purpose other then to get people like yourself to turn against the server, however, I will say that I saw one or two valid points raised. About the people with poor computers, yes, I agree on that. I think that is something that may come as a change to minecraft in the updates to come, but I really see no reason for that one valid argument to make a server as big as MCGamer revert back to a semi-outdated version of minecraft. I personally am not a big fan of 1.8, but I am willing to adjust and learn to play with the game as it changes.

Anyway, what I'm trying to get across here is that MCGamer V2 is here to stay, and that's not going to change.

Best wishes. :)

smashmaster

Platinum
Reaction score
The Hives plugin is a a fully functional 1.7-1.8 server. It requires full 1.8 for some games, and has the cool 1.8 features. Clearly chad is money hungry and wants to go with interesting sounding thing, that will put money in the servers wallet (ultimately his wallet).
Im pretty sure Chad uses the money to support the server...

GhostOfQualia

Experienced
Reaction score
And yes, the leaderboard update is yet to be released, despite its dated announcement.

The update to 1.8 was inevitable, but your argument for the leaderboard update has been left alone, MCSG has pretty bad punctuality lol

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
I completely agree with this statement. But it can easily be outdone, and I've seen TheHive do it. Their newest game mode, Deathrun, is only compatible with 1.8. But did they ever upgrade to 1.8? No. All they've done is that the game mode could not be accessed with lower than 1.8, and every single other game mode work with 1.7 and 1.8. Why can't MCSG do that?
I, or other people, have already touched on the other points have been listed in your original post. But I did want to make a comment on this section. Keep in mind I'm no Developer, but I generally understand what's going on.

When you describe the dual-version usage of 1.7 and 1.8 (dual protocol) for the gamemodes of that other community, that's basically what we've been using prior to February 3rd. But that proved to be an issue for us, since now we had to provide for (i.e. code updates and changes for) two different versions of Minecraft, effectively doubling our work. On top of that, we couldn't take advantage of some of the back-end functions that 1.8 offers, so we were basically running at a 1.7-less developed level. When we pushed 1.8, got both a single platform to play with plus some back-end functionality to use.

The way that other community did it isn't truly 1.8; it's a dual protocol hack, and admittedly a clever one. But that really isn't an update, since if it's forcing users to use 1.8 but only running 1.7-level code. So what they have right now is a system that thinks it's running 1.8 but is really running 1.7; it's stable, but it's not an upgrade. And that means that once the 1.7 code becomes depreciated, they'll have to do their own full 1.8 update as well. They didn't early adopt 1.8 like we did, they simply slapped a band-aid over the version gap to make it last a little longer (before they have to go through the same arduous update process we did).

Sorry, but one day you will wake up to the truth that this server was once great to play, for reasons that are now quite obviously out of the reach of developers. The server has grown old, and it is now dying.
We've heard this statement since 2013. It is now 2015, and we're twice the size that we were back then. I definitely don't think that's the definition of "dying".

I'll admit that our community, like every community, has its flaws. But just because you don't like the way things are now doesn't mean that we're doomed.

The update to 1.8 was inevitable, but your argument for the leaderboard update has been left alone, MCSG has pretty bad punctuality lol
Yup, no denying that we're bad at deadlines. But again, it's never a matter of, "Oh, we just got lazy and didn't do anything, which is why we missed the deadline".

Usually, it's always a matter of, "OH MY GOD THERE IS SO MUCH STUFF THAT NEEDS TO GET DONE- AND ALL THIS OTHER STUFF THAT CAME OUT OF NOWHERE. SO MUCH CODING AND TESTING THAT STILL NEEDS TO GET DONE. HOW DID WE EVER THINK WE COULD MEET THAT DEADLINE? Well, that's just apologize for the delay and get back to work."

That's basically the Dev chats all day, every day.

GhostOfQualia

Experienced
Reaction score
I, or other people, have already touched on the other points have been listed in your original post. But I did want to make a comment on this section. Keep in mind I'm no Developer, but I generally understand what's going on.

When you describe the dual-version usage of 1.7 and 1.8 (dual protocol) for the gamemodes of that other community, that's basically what we've been using prior to February 3rd. But that proved to be an issue for us, since now we had to provide for (i.e. code updates and changes for) two different versions of Minecraft, effectively doubling our work. On top of that, we couldn't take advantage of some of the back-end functions that 1.8 offers, so we were basically running at a 1.7-less developed level. When we pushed 1.8, got both a single platform to play with plus some back-end functionality to use.

The way that other community did it isn't truly 1.8; it's a dual protocol hack, and admittedly a clever one. But that really isn't an update, since if it's forcing users to use 1.8 but only running 1.7-level code. So what they have right now is a system that thinks it's running 1.8 but is really running 1.7; it's stable, but it's not an upgrade. And that means that once the 1.7 code becomes depreciated, they'll have to do their own full 1.8 update as well. They didn't early adopt 1.8 like we did, they simply slapped a band-aid over the version gap to make it last a little longer (before they have to go through the same arduous update process we did).

We've heard this statement since 2013. It is now 2015, and we're twice the size that we were back then. I definitely don't think that's the definition of "dying".

I'll admit that our community, like every community, has its flaws. But just because you don't like the way things are now doesn't mean that we're doomed.

Yup, no denying that we're bad at deadlines. But again, it's never a matter of, "Oh, we just got lazy and didn't do anything, which is why we missed the deadline".

Usually, it's always a matter of, "OH MY GOD THERE IS SO MUCH STUFF THAT NEEDS TO GET DONE- AND ALL THIS OTHER STUFF THAT CAME OUT OF NOWHERE. SO MUCH CODING AND TESTING THAT STILL NEEDS TO GET DONE. HOW DID WE EVER THINK WE COULD MEET THAT DEADLINE? Well, that's just apologize for the delay and get back to work."

That's basically the Dev chats all day, every day.
Hahahaha I love your posts.

What I believe, and I'm not the only one, is that dates should be announced only if they will be met. How long has it even been since the LB update was promised? I can't remember.

Ondre

Experienced
Reaction score
I love 1.8. I said this many times before that we can not stay on 1.7 forever. It is like every other update we ever had. It takes time to get use to it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci