• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

DISCORD Making the discord better for you, me, and the noobs

Pixelatorx2

Platinum
Reaction score
As the title states, here are a bunch of ideas to Make MCGamer Great Again! #MMGA
  1. Have the XIME Bot strictly post messages to the bot-playgrounds channel. Instead of replying in the same channel as the poster, tag them with the same bot message but in the bot-playground channel, as a sort of 'come here!'. They'll get @'tted there, and see that's where they're supposed to send the message. Then, delete their message in the original chat.
  2. Alternatively to 1, you could have the messages expire in the chat. Currently they just sit there as clutter. In my opinion, the messages should be deleted after, say, 10 seconds.
  3. Teach the bot different languages. We currently have a couple staff who can speak Turkish who could translate some of the messages. Checking for a rank when messaging back, and responding in their native tongue is definitely achievable.
  4. Whitelist the link discord.gg/mcgamer
  5. Have a #discord-feature-suggestions channel

Now for some more out-there ideas:
  1. Teach the bot to understand some basic questions. "what's the ip?", "ip?", "how do I play?" or similar. (NLP anyone? Kidding) The bot is faster than any staff!
  2. When joining a general chat, it does already give you access to a "general-4-chat" for example. I am not sure if this is XIME or another discord bot, but they should also log who joins. This will show the discord account of whoever joins (perhaps, non staff?) so channel hoppers can be more easily distinguished.
  3. Amalgamate a significant portion of the initial channels into one. #welcome should be a proper welcome channel, not the two messages Chad currently has. This channel should be combined with #rules, as well as #language assign.

Blake43215

Some guy
Reaction score
+1 for having posted it here first. I'd like to add a few things, I'd propose instead of the bot flooding #Bot-Playground with people from different channels trying to utilize the commands, the bot instead should send a DM that will direct them, so if anyone attempts to spam the command because they don't understand what's going on, it will redirect to them getting flooded, rather than the bot channel.
If that's somehow impossible because people can just disable PM's from people who aren't their friends, disregard the idea. o_O

That being said the cluster of "New User Channels" should include #Welcome, #Rules-and-FAQs, #Language-Assign, And #Bot-Playground.

Decemberr

VIP (;
Reaction score
What I had suggested was in-line with this and I don't think anyone in the community is/would be opposed to cleaning up the Discord. It's a learning process as we're all getting used to coming back, transitioning from TeamSpeak, and welcoming new players in general.

Anywho... My idea/suggestion was a step further, though I left it alone as I wasn't sure what plans TyTy/others responsible had in mind moving forward for the bot spam or what CAm/others had in mind for the Discord as a whole. With this thread, I figure no harm in putting it out there. So, here goes...

#welcome does need to be more useful. It's currently rather pointless (sorry, Chad). If we use it to condense channels, I think it would be beneficial to consider utilizing reactions for assigning roles before unleashing the full server to each user. This potentially helps reduce channel clutter for the average user and confusion for new users on where to go.
I've seen many servers do this successfully and l much prefer this method and it's clean and seems preferred amidst users. You have minimal channels when you join, you obtain roles/channels based on reactions (just like language assign, we don't all have to be in the Turkish room, but we have the option to react and we know the room is there).

If we're able to proceed this way, it's likely possible to direct users to the #bot-playground after completing reactions and/or force this (block other channels) as a next step for any unlinked users who reacted to a game-type requiring alpha/beta sign-up.

--

If I were to reply directly to the thread...
1. No. Messages would get buried. It gets people in the right channel, if they bother to check/even see the ping, but they'll see a wall of messages. It's similar to what happens now. The users that aren't going to the right channel on ping now I don't think would respond any better if it were to be moved to another channel. It may work better if DM'd though, as Blake suggested.

2. I don't think this would go well with the targeted user, rather it'd be more of a solution for us. Perhaps after a longer time window (at least 5m). 10s is a very small amount of time, especially if someone is confused, multitasking, and/or trying to translate.

3. I don't see any problems with this. We welcome global users and we have global mods; if the bot can be trained to be multilingual, there's no good reason I see for it not to be so long as it's done with care.

4. Is this really not whitelisted? I swear I've seen it typed by regular users...

5. No. We don't need more channels. There's already a channel for suggestions and we have the forums. I understand that things get lost in the suggestions channel often. My suggestion in this regard is for staff to start pinning legitimate suggestions to the channel (likewise for bug reports, albeit obviously bugs).

1/part2. I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea, though I could see several issues associated with it. I think we need to keep in mind that we have quite a few mods now, as well as a plethora of community members that answer questions such as these. We also don't want to become the robot service community. Personal replies are always better than a bot, even if brief/simple. This would be very spammy as well, which is something we're actively trying to reduce/eliminate.

2/part2. This was something I believe was a thing on TS3. I think, if possible, it would certainly be nice to have on Discord as well. It's nice to see who has joined/left the chat.

3/part2. I covered this in the first part of my novella here but I will say that I don't think rules-and-faq should be combined with any other channel(s). It's massive and needs its own channel.

That's all, I think. I'm tired and it's late and I have to be up in 6-7 hours. Any typos are courtesy of Google/my tired phone typing.

TL;DR Tired so I wrote a novel on my phone about how I mostly agree. Condense channels and make them appear by reactions instead.

Pixelatorx2

Platinum
Reaction score
What I had suggested was in-line with this and I don't think anyone in the community is/would be opposed to cleaning up the Discord. It's a learning process as we're all getting used to coming back, transitioning from TeamSpeak, and welcoming new players in general.

Anywho... My idea/suggestion was a step further, though I left it alone as I wasn't sure what plans TyTy/others responsible had in mind moving forward for the bot spam or what CAm/others had in mind for the Discord as a whole. With this thread, I figure no harm in putting it out there. So, here goes...

#welcome does need to be more useful. It's currently rather pointless (sorry, Chad). If we use it to condense channels, I think it would be beneficial to consider utilizing reactions for assigning roles before unleashing the full server to each user. This potentially helps reduce channel clutter for the average user and confusion for new users on where to go.
I've seen many servers do this successfully and l much prefer this method and it's clean and seems preferred amidst users. You have minimal channels when you join, you obtain roles/channels based on reactions (just like language assign, we don't all have to be in the Turkish room, but we have the option to react and we know the room is there).

If we're able to proceed this way, it's likely possible to direct users to the #bot-playground after completing reactions and/or force this (block other channels) as a next step for any unlinked users who reacted to a game-type requiring alpha/beta sign-up.
I was originally going to suggest a 'walkthrough' of the discord for new users. They react to get a language, react after reading #welcome (in their own language), react after reading #rules (in their own language), before gaining access to the rest of the discord. I hesitated to suggest this because personally I have had experiences where this confused me back when I first started using discord. However, I think if done correctly and not haphazardly (like the experience I am referencing did) it could be be beneficial to all.

If I were to reply directly to the thread...
1. No. Messages would get buried. It gets people in the right channel, if they bother to check/even see the ping, but they'll see a wall of messages. It's similar to what happens now. The users that aren't going to the right channel on ping now I don't think would respond any better if it were to be moved to another channel. It may work better if DM'd though, as Blake suggested.
Agreed. A DM would be best, but like Blake said there are issues with disabling PMs, etc. Personally, I think the solution that's best for all would be to shorten the message to instead of "@, please execute this command in #bot-playground. The command usage is as follows: !mclink <Minecraft Username> (replace <Minecraft Username> with your Minecraft username!)" to simply "Please execute this command in #bot-playground", and if they did the command wrong, tell them there.

2. I don't think this would go well with the targeted user, rather it'd be more of a solution for us. Perhaps after a longer time window (at least 5m). 10s is a very small amount of time, especially if someone is confused, multitasking, and/or trying to translate.
I definitely think 5 minutes is too long. Perhaps 10s is too short, but I'd say a happy medium of like 30s/1m would be best. Most chats move fast enough that 5m later the chat is gone either way, so they'd have to scroll (which they probably wont do). Combine this with a more concise message (see above) as well as multilingual messages, it shouldn't be hard to get the message that they need to move across.

30s/1m is much better than Dyno, at least. You can send a link and it'll delete yours and its own message in like 1s, so fast that sometimes you don't even know what happened before sending another one and getting a second warning. That, IMHO, is too fast.

3. I don't see any problems with this. We welcome global users and we have global mods; if the bot can be trained to be multilingual, there's no good reason I see for it not to be so long as it's done with care.

4. Is this really not whitelisted? I swear I've seen it typed by regular users...
Yeah it isn't whitelisted, I believe NyanCreeper has been having issues with it

5. No. We don't need more channels. There's already a channel for suggestions and we have the forums. I understand that things get lost in the suggestions channel often. My suggestion in this regard is for staff to start pinning legitimate suggestions to the channel (likewise for bug reports, albeit obviously bugs).
I agree that we have enough channels as it is, but if we're being frank, suggestions aren't really gone through in-depth there. The forums is where this really happens, and that's how it should be. Real discussion can be had here, unlike on discord. This was just something that I saw being mentioned by people, they wanted to discuss discord stuff so I thought I'd throw it in here.

1/part2. I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea, though I could see several issues associated with it. I think we need to keep in mind that we have quite a few mods now, as well as a plethora of community members that answer questions such as these. We also don't want to become the robot service community. Personal replies are always better than a bot, even if brief/simple. This would be very spammy as well, which is something we're actively trying to reduce/eliminate.
Ehh. I disagree a little bit. It could get spammy, but with removeable messages (as discussed above) it shouldn't really add too much clutter in the grand scheme of things. If not auto-responding messages, I'd love to see some shortcuts like !ip being able to be used outside the bot channel (I know this goes against what I said earlier, but if the messages are disposed of after a sufficient amount of time, I don't see this being an issue).

2/part2. This was something I believe was a thing on TS3. I think, if possible, it would certainly be nice to have on Discord as well. It's nice to see who has joined/left the chat.

3/part2. I covered this in the first part of my novella here but I will say that I don't think rules-and-faq should be combined with any other channel(s). It's massive and needs its own channel.
See the first part of my response.

Blake43215

Some guy
Reaction score
I'd like to note that when I made my "New User Channels" suggestion, it was with regard to creating a new Category, not merging the original channels.
I agree that we have enough channels as it is, but if we're being frank, suggestions aren't really gone through in-depth there.
I agree that the feature request channel is low on the priority viewing list, but that's the best place for smaller requests, so that people like you can be the voice of the masses with proper recognition :)

Last edited:

Pixelatorx2

Platinum
Reaction score
Additional thought:

Have a discord tag called 'linked' or 'verified'. Some new people / people who don't speak English get confused and are unsure if the bot has successfully linked them. Having a role for people who are verified would help distinguish this.

Just a thought! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci