• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

If you could live forever...

Glade_OS

Experienced
Reaction score
I probably would kill myself when I lose all my money.
Some hit or miss psychic guy did predict we would crack the code to immortality with in the next 50 years though, so it is possible (and not so possible).

Giggity69Goo

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I feel like at some point I wouldn't take it anymore and try my hardest to kill myself.

SnoopSean

Career
Reaction score
Let's get the easy part first, I think that Twitchyy 's approach is probably the most likely.

And let's face it, today's society would accept that, we've embedded that death is bad, be afraid, all that stuff. But the way life works, there are some things we can't avoid when living forever. Things that you can see in The Giver which I won't explain here. Some people may argue, if everyone is immortal then we can be free of not watching people die right? Not exactly. We will also loose things that come with that including marrying birth and not having to work. Living the last years of your life in peace with your family. Overpopulation wouldn't be a thing because no births (in this situation of immortality that I am thinking of) and no deaths. Twitchyy already said plenty so I think I'll cut this short. No, I would avoid immortality.

Ephizav2

Diamond
Reaction score
Hell Yes.

Even if I lose everyone I love, even if I am constantly being harassed to be recruited etc, it still would be AMAZING to live through literally anything.

Zeff

Survivor
Reaction score
For some people, it’s easy to dismiss the concept of immortality as fantasy. Or to believe that, even if it were a possibility, they wouldn’t want it. Call it arrogance. Or anxiety, maybe.

Recent biomedical advancements in the research spheres of stem cells, molecular repair, cloning, synthetic organs and cybernetics are already improving people’s life expectancy. Now scientists are daring to believe those developments could soon stop ageing decisively. Life extension. The end of death, bar fatal trauma.

The initial therapies are the hard bit: tissue engineering (creating organs in a lab and transplanting them), stem cell therapy (injecting ‘repair’ cells into the patient) and molecular regenerative medicine (repairing cells within the body). Current thinking is that there’s a 50% chance of getting it all done within 25 years.

Those therapies would be applied to middle-aged people, whose bodies haven’t suffered any serious damage. It would grant another 30 years of healthy life. Then when the patient comes back after 30 years the new therapies would have improved. The patient would be rejuvenated for longer. Therapies would improve again. The patient would not age. In the business of beating death, this is known as ‘longevity escape velocity’.

Even if you don’t escape and fatal trauma shuts the gate before we’ve all bolted, it’s not the end. You can come back. In the past two years, improved availability of cryonic techniques have sparked a price-war between clinics all over the world. From those in the US offering eternal-life insurance for $30 (£20) a month, all the way to a centre outside Moscow where they’ll preserve your head for as little as £6,000, coming back from the beyond is suddenly far less far-fetched. However much or little you pay, the promise is the same – suspension of your being until a time when death isn’t death any more.

We’re used to death, though. It’s ‘just a part of life’. Death has a psychological stranglehold over us; we’ve convinced ourselves it’s good because we think we can’t do anything about it. We’re afraid of immortality because it’s unfamiliar. We come up with ‘crazy’ reasons why it would be bad. We say we’d be bored; there’d be too many of us; dictators would terrorise forever. We want death instead.

But immortality is too important to sweep under the exisistential carpet. After all, billions of lives are at stake. Your life is at stake. Mine is too. For me , a history of early strokes in the family, atheist – death is increasingly real and terrifying. The scientists are claiming that it needn’t be the former; the philosophers say the latter shouldn’t worry you. Who should you believe? If the scientists are right, why don’t we embrace them as the saviours of a world’s worth of existences? Are we more scared of their eternal life than our own death? It’s immortalists vs deathists. Whose side are you on?
What are you serious? You literally copy and pasted smh

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/healthy/brain-training/who-wants-to-live-forever

Exposed

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci