• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

<---< Hunger and Survival Guide >--->

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaunDepro

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Guides to the two main aspects of the Games - Survival (generally combat) and Hunger.

1. Hunger

a) Exhaustion
Walk when conserving food, sprint when scouting for players, sprint and jump if you are -chasing/chased. Sneaking loses as much hunger as walking.
Swimming, attacking, and being attacked lose small amounts of hunger. Being food poisoned loses lots of hunger.

b) Poisoning
Spider eyes only replenish 1 hunger and have a 100% chance of poisoning you, rotten flesh has an 80% chance of food poisoning you, and raw chicken has a 30% chance of food poisoning you.
When you are food poisoned you lose lots of hunger, so I suggest not moving if you have to go to the extremes to do so.

c) Food
Name | Hunger
Cookie = .5 (Snapshot 12w22a = 1)​
Melon = 1​
Raw Fish = 1​
Raw Chicken** = 1​
Spider Eye* = 1​
Raw Beef = 1.5​
Raw Porkchop = 1.5​
Rotten Flesh** = 2​
Red Apple = 2​
Golden Apple*** = 2​
Bread = 2.5​
Cooked Fish = 2.5​
Cooked Chicken = 3​
Cooked Porkchop = 4​
Cooked Steak = 4​
Mushroom Stew = 4​
Cake = 6 (six uses, each worth 1).​
* = Poisoning, ** = Food Poisoning, *** = Health Regeneration

ShaunDepro

Mockingjay
Reaction score
2. Survival

a) General

Weapons
Swords: | Wood/Gold = 2 Hearts| Stone = 2.5 Hearts | Iron = 3 Hearts| Diamond = 3.5 Hearts |
Axes: | Wood/Gold = 1.5 Hearts| Stone = 2 Hearts | Iron = 2.5 Hearts | Diamond = 3 Hearts|
Pickaxes: | Wood/Gold = 1 Hearts| Stone = 1.5 Hearts| Iron = 2 Hearts| Diamond = 2.5 Hearts |
Shovels: | Wood/Gold = 0.5 Hearts | Stone = 1 Hearts| Iron = 1.5 Hearts | Diamond = 2 Hearts |
Unarmed/Other: | = 0.5 Hearts
Arrows: | = 0.5 Hearts - 4.5 Hearts
Burning: | = 0.5 Hearts
Fire: | = 1 Hearts
Lava: | = 4 Hearts
(FAQ: Punching fishing rods do damage. Casting does no damage, only knock-back)

Enchanting
Enchanting gives you a bonus in the Survival Games, good enchantments for combat are sharpness, fire aspect, and in some cases knock-back, smite is good against skeletons and zombies, and bane of arthropods are good against spiders. Diamond equipment have better chances of getting good enchants then iron, gold has the best chances of getting good enchantments but is quite useless besides that.

Critical
If you spot an opponent sprint to them, and if they start running, jump-sprint to them.
Jumping whilst in combat reduces the ease to block without being about to move with ease, but it does slightly confuse the opponent and it also can land you critical hits. A critical hit is shown by sparks flying off the open when you hit them whilst falling. The attack deals a random amount of damage bonus, up to 50% and an extra heart on top of that critical hit. Also, being stuck in a cobweb may lose your defence, but since you are constantly falling you will land constant critical hits to give you an advantage.

Blocking
When you right-click whilst wielding a sword your character blocks with it. Whilst blocking it slows down your movement speed and you cannot swing your weapon whilst doing so. It halfs the damage of an attack, especially from explosions and arrows, so if you aren't such a great dodger you can block and it will reduce the damage. Learn to hit then block, and repeat when you get close to enemies, it's a life saver at close range combat, not on the run through.

b) Armour

table.png

How to calculate armour protection:
Two armour ( ) = 8% damage goes to armour. So, for example; if you have a full set of chain armour which is 6 bars (12 armour) you'll get 6*8 which is 48. So 48% of the damage you take goes to the armour, and 52% go to you, so you'll get basically, 1.5 hearts of damage from an iron sword, instead of 3 hearts of damage if you wear a full set of chain armour.

ShaunDepro

Mockingjay
Reaction score
3. Other Tips

a) Mushroom Stew
Mushroom Stew is a life saver, it's pretty much an infinite food source once you have a bowl. People tend to think you need a 3x3 grid crafting table to create mushroom stew but you can create it in your 2x2 inventory as it does not matter where the items are placed.

b) Lower Ground
Get the lower ground, it works especially well underwater. You can hit/interact with players and blocks 3 metres away from your head, you can only reach 2 blocks below you but 3 blocks above you. If you can get under somebody in water you will be able to hit them whilst having them not be able to hit you.

c) Be Swift
Before and after looking in a chest look around you, keep an open eye out for name tags. Always keep a view on an opponent.

d) Element of Surprise
The best thing you can have in combat is surprise, a player with a stone sword can take on 2 or more players in better gear if they are busy in chests and unexpecting.

e) Don't Wimp
Logging out in combat loses you points anyway, don't try to cheat out of death. If somebody is chasing you jump into water and swim away until they end pursuit, if they don't then... well, you're screwed. If you fear you may lose just keep going at the other player; there has been many times whereas the other player only needed one more hit, but they start getting low on hearts and start wimping and running and I get the advantage to finish them with a couple more hits.

f) Golden Apples
Use Golden Apples before and after combat as healing, never eat a Golden Apple in the middle of combat as the opponent can usually get in more hits in the time to eat it then the amount it actually heals. They regenerate your health for 4 seconds, and heal 2 hunger, yet you can consume one with full hunger.

g) Clean Inventory
Throw out wooden and stone weapons if you have something better, useless items such as saplings too to keep your inventory clean and able to pick up loot if you kill an opponent and need to run from a second.

Hystericallify

District 13
Reaction score
Great guide from ShaunDepro97 :D. I jumped at someone in SG2 with a diamond sword through the trees and he was shifting :p

OMGjustin

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
3. Other Tips

c) Be Swift
Before and after looking in a chest look around you, keep an open eye out for name tags. Always keep a view on an opponent.

Ye, son.

g) Clean Inventory
Throw out wooden and stone weapons if you have something better, useless items such as saplings too to keep your inventory clean and able to pick up loot if you kill an opponent and need to run from a second.

I hate it when I have to spend an eternity sifting through my inventory and throwing out all the seeds, saplings, spider eyes and leather leggings and everything else noobish stirred up from the depths of hell.

I also hate it when I happen to kill a guy carrying that giant bundle of burdens and pick up all this stuff in mid air seconds away from corn refills.

What I hate, most, though, is when I just finished throwing all the crap out and someone comes up behind me and knocks me into the pit of despair. I have then set a bounty on their liver for life.

Great and informative posts, especially 2a) and 2b).

Aeruner

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Honestly one of the best guides I've seen. The only thing I can think of that you should add is how many hearts a golden apple heals. I've seen so many people overestimate their healing ability only to end up screwing themselves over by relying on them too much.

Stijn

District 13
Reaction score
Honestly one of the best guides I've seen. The only thing I can think of that you should add is how many hearts a golden apple heals. I've seen so many people overestimate their healing ability only to end up screwing themselves over by relying on them too much.
Indeed, they heal 3 hearts right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci