• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

How to Politely Correct Someone About a Thread

Turnip

District 13
Reaction score
Hello :D

Recently, I have seen some threads that have either been pointless, or in the wrong section. That is not what bothered me. What bothered me is how some of the non-staff community responds to these threads.

Lets say someone puts a Moderator application in the Survival Games Discussion section, there are usually a few responses to it before a mod can lock/move it. Instead of saying things like: "*Facedesk* When will noobs like you ever learn!?!?!? You post it under the staff applications section! Your app is WAY to short, you'll never get accepted like that! Or "You're a special kind of stupid aren't you."
If someone makes a bunch of threads that already have been made, such as: Who is the best MCSG player? or Best MCSG Moment. Don't say "UGHHHHHH! when will noobs learn not to make these pointless threads! They're SOOO overdone!!!" Instead, do the right thing and correct them properly, and politely.

Instead of the above options, respond something like this: "Hello, unfortunately this has been posted in the wrong section, it should go here (INSERT LINK TO PROPER SECTION). It also appears that your app is a bit short, here are some tips: Provide more detail for specific questions such as (Insert here). Anyways, good luck on your application :)
For the overdone threads, say something like this: "We have a thread for posting on this topic (INSERT LINK HERE) to avoid posting a similar thread and starting forum spam, just post your opinion there." Remember not to start any flame wars. :)

After doing this, or if you don't feel like commenting yourself, report the thread for the reason "Wrong section" Or "Similar thread already made" Staff will move, lock, or delete the thread.

Many of these type threads are posted by newer members of our community. Chances are, they don't know any better and haven't seen many or any guides about the forums. Instead of making them feel bad, or stupid, respond politely and they will soon catch on, and hopefully become successful members of our great community. :D

Thanks for reading. ;)

duckluv321

District 13
Reaction score
Spot-on ;)

If people could follow this rule, we would be so much better as a community in general.

Imagine being a new player, not knowing where to post something, misplacing it, and being greeted with "How much stupider can you be?", "Not another noob...".

Not cool guys, seriously, please. Put your self in the players shoes. We've all been noobs, we've all been confused, and the last thing a new, or even old player wants to hear is an array of rude comments after making a simple mistake.

Basically, read this thread, remember what it says, and act upon it ;)

The Arena Master

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Thank God, I'm so sick of people basically insulting people simply because they were new and they posted something wrong. That's not how you greet a new member, you be kind to them and help them out as well as give them some tips. Thanks for making this thread :)

Flyer

Roll Tide
Reaction score
The almght Turnip has spoken! I won't cook you up and eat you for dinner this time, good job. :)

Venkin

Career
Reaction score
Hello :D

Recently, I have seen some threads that have either been pointless, or in the wrong section. That is not what bothered me. What bothered me is how some of the non-staff community responds to these threads.

Lets say someone puts a Moderator application in the Survival Games Discussion section, there are usually a few responses to it before a mod can lock/move it. Instead of saying things like: "*Facedesk* When will noobs like you ever learn!?!?!? You post it under the staff applications section! Your app is WAY to short, you'll never get accepted like that! Or "You're a special kind of stupid aren't you."
If someone makes a bunch of threads that already have been made, such as: Who is the best MCSG player? or Best MCSG Moment. Don't say "UGHHHHHH! when will noobs learn not to make these pointless threads! They're SOOO overdone!!!" Instead, do the right thing and correct them properly, and politely.

Instead of the above options, respond something like this: "Hello, unfortunately this has been posted in the wrong section, it should go here (INSERT LINK TO PROPER SECTION). It also appears that your app is a bit short, here are some tips: Provide more detail for specific questions such as (Insert here). Anyways, good luck on your application :)
For the overdone threads, say something like this: "We have a thread for posting on this topic (INSERT LINK HERE) to avoid posting a similar thread and starting forum spam, just post your opinion there." Remember not to start any flame wars. :)

After doing this, or if you don't feel like commenting yourself, report the thread for the reason "Wrong section" Or "Similar thread already made" Staff will move, lock, or delete the thread.

Many of these type threads are posted by newer members of our community. Chances are, they don't know any better and haven't seen many or any guides about the forums. Instead of making them feel bad, or stupid, respond politely and they will soon catch on, and hopefully become successful members of our great community. :D

Thanks for reading. ;)
Great thread!, and i agree with duckluv321 : "If people could follow this rule, we would be so much better as a community in general."

I always try to help them politely and i hope it always worked ( i think so :p ) :)

Zachary0614

Career
Reaction score
Spot-on ;)

If people could follow this rule, we would be so much better as a community in general.

Imagine being a new player, not knowing where to post something, misplacing it, and being greeted with "How much stupider can you be?", "Not another noob...".

Not cool guys, seriously, please. Put your self in the players shoes. We've all been noobs, we've all been confused, and the last thing a new, or even old player wants to hear is an array of rude comments after making a simple mistake.

Basically, read this thread, remember what it says, and act upon it ;)
Agreed I almost quit the first day I was on here because I made a thread that said best and worst of mcsg. Not going to throw names out but it did happen.

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Well when I joined I was already experienced with all the rules, the typical mood of the forums, the roles different people had in the community, and how to do everything, so I could never relate to noobs :p

But it's a lot better to make sure they know what to do in the future than to yell at them. Good guide!

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
Hoorah for Mr. Tulip!
Excellent fundamentals and whatnot, even though I didn't read the whole thingy. I will in a moment xD
*Cheers*

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci