• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

How come a lot of good PVPers can hit me like 2 or 3 blocks away from me but I can't?

Ninetailefox92

District 13
Reaction score
So it is just an internet connection thing? I don't think so, cause as I said, some people can hit me really far while some people can't. If it isn't hacking, then the problem is probably that they hit me first, and when someone hits you first if you try to swing back you can't hit them if I am correct. So how can I make sure that when someone else and I go head on each other than I make sure to get the first few hits on them and make them not able to attack me if they are an extremely good player and knows what they are doing? Also, I'm trying to get better at raw PVP action where we both have equal gear and just a sword with no fancy tricks to give you an advantage like Flint and Steel, that way I can use those tricks to add to my skill, and not win just cause I fishing rodded or flint and steeled him a bunch of times but because I have skill.
This is definately an internet connection issue, I get the same, basically you are very slightly out of sync with the server, so they are closer than they appear to be on your screen as you are having the bad latency, this is why they always get the first hit, they can see your actual server location as they dont have the lag issue.. there is no way to combat this other than getting a better internet connection (probably not an option) try switching your strategy so you don't take people head on

Zeno

Platinum
Reaction score
Why is everyone saying this is an internet issue ._.

It's not. It's a basic tenet of Minecraft PvP, or at least MCSG's PvP. The natural reach in Minecraft is around 4-5 blocks, and MCSG has nerfed that reach to around 2-3 blocks. That explains why it happens more often on other PvP servers, and also shows that the range they are hitting you at is really not that extreme. It isn't lag that is allowing them to do this, it's skill and knowledge of the game mechanics, which the majority of the well known players in the community have a good grasp on.

Now, I think I know what your issue is when it comes to PvP. You know the general ideas behind some of the tactics that players employ, but not what actually makes them work. When you strafe, you can't simply run around to the side of them, they'll hit you while you're doing so, and, even if you succeed, they can simply turn and continue hitting you. Strafing is all about avoiding enemy attacks, but if you give your opponent room to think, then it won't work. You need to be constantly swinging while you strafe around them, constantly keeping them off balance and unable to hit you. If youdo successfully make it around to their side without being hit, then you can start jumping while hitting in order to get crits and thus deal more damage. However, this will increase the knockback of your blows, so you should try to hit them into a wall or something like that so that they'll be dazed and confused as opposed to being able to easily run away.

As to your second tactic: it doesn't work. If you stand still and wait for a person to come at you, you have no momentum, and can easily be steamrolled by a charging opponent. Jumping into combat has the effect of both increasing the knockback you deal, and also the amount you take. It also serves to increase your range slightly (compared to a still player at least), as your momentum is carrying you forwards faster than they can react. You also then have the opportunity to strafe around the still player and hit them to your heart's content. Standing still is never a good strategy.

Overall, I would just try to keep this in mind while you're trying to build up your PvP skill: Hit them a lot. Though Minecraft PvP has advanced considerably, that is still it's basic tenet. If you get more hits on your opponent than he does on you, you'll most likely be doing more damage, and end up winning a lot more fights. Practice just pure clicking speed. Make sure you can start a sprint quickly after hitting someone so you're able to quickly leap forwards and deal more damage after you knock someone back. Jump when you're in a safe position in order to get crits (this will make you more susceptible to knocback though, so be careful). And, however much you knock the alternate weapons, I would strongly advise learning to use them well. In the type of PvP environment we play in these days, those are absolutely essential to being a great player. Yes, I agree, you should not kill people with them and not show any skill, but if you use them SKILLFULLY, then they do nothing but improve your worth as a player (though people may rage at you and call you cheap for using it, any tactic that works is a good one).

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
If you are moving back your reach is limited.

ShaunDepro

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Why is everyone saying this is an internet issue ._.

It's not. It's a basic tenet of Minecraft PvP, or at least MCSG's PvP. The natural reach in Minecraft is around 4-5 blocks, and MCSG has nerfed that reach to around 2-3 blocks. That explains why it happens more often on other PvP servers, and also shows that the range they are hitting you at is really not that extreme. It isn't lag that is allowing them to do this, it's skill and knowledge of the game mechanics, which the majority of the well known players in the community have a good grasp on.

Now, I think I know what your issue is when it comes to PvP. You know the general ideas behind some of the tactics that players employ, but not what actually makes them work. When you strafe, you can't simply run around to the side of them, they'll hit you while you're doing so, and, even if you succeed, they can simply turn and continue hitting you. Strafing is all about avoiding enemy attacks, but if you give your opponent room to think, then it won't work. You need to be constantly swinging while you strafe around them, constantly keeping them off balance and unable to hit you. If youdo successfully make it around to their side without being hit, then you can start jumping while hitting in order to get crits and thus deal more damage. However, this will increase the knockback of your blows, so you should try to hit them into a wall or something like that so that they'll be dazed and confused as opposed to being able to easily run away.

As to your second tactic: it doesn't work. If you stand still and wait for a person to come at you, you have no momentum, and can easily be steamrolled by a charging opponent. Jumping into combat has the effect of both increasing the knockback you deal, and also the amount you take. It also serves to increase your range slightly (compared to a still player at least), as your momentum is carrying you forwards faster than they can react. You also then have the opportunity to strafe around the still player and hit them to your heart's content. Standing still is never a good strategy.

Overall, I would just try to keep this in mind while you're trying to build up your PvP skill: Hit them a lot. Though Minecraft PvP has advanced considerably, that is still it's basic tenet. If you get more hits on your opponent than he does on you, you'll most likely be doing more damage, and end up winning a lot more fights. Practice just pure clicking speed. Make sure you can start a sprint quickly after hitting someone so you're able to quickly leap forwards and deal more damage after you knock someone back. Jump when you're in a safe position in order to get crits (this will make you more susceptible to knocback though, so be careful). And, however much you knock the alternate weapons, I would strongly advise learning to use them well. In the type of PvP environment we play in these days, those are absolutely essential to being a great player. Yes, I agree, you should not kill people with them and not show any skill, but if you use them SKILLFULLY, then they do nothing but improve your worth as a player (though people may rage at you and call you cheap for using it, any tactic that works is a good one).
The game mechanics rely on connection latency though. MCSG has the default hitting range, I have no idea why you believe this but our range is the same as other servers and singleplayer, and it's probably impossible to change it server-side anyway...

Jumping does give criticals, but does not add knock-back to your attacks - saying that, sprinting, in-fact, gives knockback and fades the sprint.

With the range issue, this is most definitely what people define as lag - but you are not completely incorrect here. The momentum you are talking about, the strafing and falling "into" your enemy allows you to fool the registry, from client to server. If say a player's client is not connecting to the server smoothly, and his download is barely registering other player movement (and they are say, in one spot, jumping every 1-2 blocks (5+ in serious scenarios)), but the connection giving movement and actions from the client to -> the server, nevertheless it will still register it,.

The momentum allows players to register hits on the other player whilst getting close to them, and getting away to strafe another distance before they can react because they tend to be 0.3-1.0 seconds delayed from "your actions". The reason why it's possible to avoid these enemy attacks is because of the delay, if there was "no lag" and "0 delay" then someone strafing would easily could just be taken by someone standing still because the range is the exact same for both players - running towards them gives you a 0.5 second gap closing distance towards them allowing you to get quite possibly two hits into them before they land one to knock you back.

DaPieHD

Career
Reaction score
What, you think they would just give famous members a server hack/advantage?
Think before you post.

_Reevesdrums_

Platinum
Reaction score
It's a pretty good skill to be able to work out the exact moment to click to hit a player when you are both charging at each other. It's learnable through practise, though impossible if your ping is too high.

Playing on the servers closest to your location means the issue shouldn't really come up. But so long as your connection to the servers alright, It's just practise makes perfect.

When you are about to fight a newish player, it's a great chance to try bull-rushing them to get good at the timing:) If you can get it right, it means the other player will be knocked back and you can combo them heaps making for a fast kill. Also it can freak players out when they see you charge without hesitation, they get slightly nervous and their timing is less accurate, meaning you will get the hit first and do more damage :D

Pixelatorx2

Platinum
Reaction score
TL:.DR all posts. Quick answer here ---> your connection or Ping is bad, try using speedtest.net its a very helpful website speed test to see your internet ping and other stuff.

Zeno

Platinum
Reaction score
The game mechanics rely on connection latency though. MCSG has the default hitting range, I have no idea why you believe this but our range is the same as other servers and singleplayer, and it's probably impossible to change it server-side anyway...
Sorry to tell you this, but you're wrong. The NCP setup MCSG is running DOES decrease the range in which the server will allow you to hit. I've confirmed this with several Sr. Mods and higher, and have experienced it first hand PvP'ing on many different servers.
Jumping does give criticals, but does not add knock-back to your attacks - saying that, sprinting, in-fact, gives knockback and fades the sprint.
Sprint jumping into someone does provide extra knockback in comparison to simply sprinting at them, no?
With the range issue, this is most definitely what people define as lag - but you are not completely incorrect here. The momentum you are talking about, the strafing and falling "into" your enemy allows you to fool the registry, from client to server. If say a player's client is not connecting to the server smoothly, and his download is barely registering other player movement (and they are say, in one spot, jumping every 1-2 blocks (5+ in serious scenarios)), but the connection giving movement and actions from the client to -> the server, nevertheless it will still register it,.
Again, the issue he's facing isn't lag, it's just Minecraft mechanics that skilled players know how to use to their advantage. Read what he's saying, he's not talking about people teleporting from place to place or being out of sync with the server, he's talking about being hit from 2-3 blocks away and not being able to defend himself. 2-3 blocks IS a range that is capable to reach in MCSG, no lag required. Then, when he's unable to hit back, he's getting comboed (or juggled, depending on the vernacular you wish to use). It's one of the core tenets of Minecraft PVP, to continue knocking them back, decreasing their hit radius while keeping yours, and thus retaining the ability to do massive damage. It isn't lag, it's skill.

Krafty

District 13
Reaction score
Sorry to tell you this, but you're wrong. The NCP setup MCSG is running DOES decrease the range in which the server will allow you to hit. I've confirmed this with several Sr. Mods and higher, and have experienced it first hand PvP'ing on many different servers.

Sprint jumping into someone does provide extra knockback in comparison to simply sprinting at them, no?

Again, the issue he's facing isn't lag, it's just Minecraft mechanics that skilled players know how to use to their advantage. Read what he's saying, he's not talking about people teleporting from place to place or being out of sync with the server, he's talking about being hit from 2-3 blocks away and not being able to defend himself. 2-3 blocks IS a range that is capable to reach in MCSG, no lag required. Then, when he's unable to hit back, he's getting comboed (or juggled, depending on the vernacular you wish to use). It's one of the core tenets of Minecraft PVP, to continue knocking them back, decreasing their hit radius while keeping yours, and thus retaining the ability to do massive damage. It isn't lag, it's skill.
Dang. Zeno went ham.

EvermoreHD

Peacekeeper
Reaction score

It is his connection to the servers. When I play on the Hive, an EU server, my hitbox is significantly smaller than when I play on MCSG. You know when you're attacking but only the stars come off the player? That's a combination of NPC and connection lag. In normal minecraft, you should've been able to hit the player, but due to your connection and NPC, you didn't.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci