- Mar 10, 2013
- Reaction score
Old Stats? New Stats?
The last month has been very active with talk and rumors about a pending Global Leaderboards Reset. Many great points were made during the discussion, along with proposals for alternatives in the face of a possible reset of the global leaderboards. While a majority of players, both ingame and on the forums (78% and 53.4%), voted for a leaderboard reset, we did not want to disappoint so many players who were obviously quite passionate about preserving the way things were. As a result, we have explored numerous options with our developers and outside sources, including players who have suggested viable alternatives.
We were originally meant to make this announcement earlier this month, but we felt that this was not a decision that could be rushed. And while we may be a few weeks late, our patience has paid off. Our research and reviews have enabled us to do something we previously thought we could not: Overall Statistics, on top of Legacy Leaderboards and the New Leaderboards system!
Let’s be clear:
1. We are not deleting anyone’s stats.
2. Old stats will continue to be updated via Overall Leaderboards.
3. With the new update, we are offering new ways to view your stats on an updated leaderboard.
You hear that? There’s no talk of a global reset or a world-ending apocalypse anywhere with this. So while previous discussions have always used the term, “Global Stats Reset”, we will now prefer the term, “Global Leaderboards Update”.
Now that everyone’s put away their torches, pitchforks, and loudspeakers, let’s go into detail as to what the Global Leaderboards Update will bring:
- A New, Updated Leaderboard! The star of the show of the Global Leaderboards Update. Brand new with a host of new features, we have a lot of exciting things in store for this new leaderboard. More information below.
- Legacy Leaderboards. Prior to the network update and stats reset, the MCSG leaderboards up to that point will be saved as a separate leaderboard. Older players will have their statistics memorialized online, and their Legacy stats will show alongside their new stats in the updated /stats command.
- Overall Lifetime Statistics. That’s right, we can do both! We will be offering both a dedicated webpage and an ingame command that will show the combined statistics from the Legacy Leaderboards and the New Leaderboards to show the combined statistics which is updated nightly. This will be the de facto source for statistics and rankings for both new and old players, allowing them to compare rankings across the entire lifetime of MCSG.
- On our new website, a special ribbon will be given to the top players on the Legacy Leaderboards at the time of the reset. This special ribbon will be prominently displayed on their page on the New Leaderboards, and higher-ranked players will receive a distinct ribbons based on their worldwide ranking.
- After the update goes active on 11/12/2014, users who are found guilty of hacking will have their account permanently deranked from the Leaderboards. Their statistics will remain, but they will lose their ranking amongst the global leaderboards. Anyone who has ever played a game through unfair means does not deserve to be ranked amongst those who play fairly.
- More Efficient scripts. The old Leaderboards were nearly several years old, and much of it was patched together with chewing gum and duct tape. Some elements were taken offline for repair, but the repairs were never done due to the technical complexities of our Franken-Leaderboards. Now that we’re able to update our leaderboards from the ground up, our boards will be much more efficient, reliable, and easier to fix. While the users may realize it on a day-to-day basis, the servers will appreciate working with leaner, meaner, more efficient code.
- Flexible Code. The old Leaderboards are anemic in terms of what it can do, due to the fact that it was the first SG Leaderboards of its kind in the entire realm of Minecraft up to that point. But because of that, it is inflexible and difficult to modify, preventing a number of new features from being added. Because we were able to update our leaderboards from the ground up, code flexibility has been made paramount, allowing us to add in a number of features that have been previously neglected due to technical limitations.
- Time-based Leaderboards (Trending). Our most highly-requested feature. Daily Leaderboards? Weekly Leaderboards? Monthly Leaderboards? Perhaps even Seasonal Leaderboards? All are possible! Players will finally have a chance to be at the top of a leaderboard, if only for a day.
- Regional Leaderboards. Our second most highly-requested feature. We know how you all stack up globally, but how do you stack up in your region? Games will be sorted by region and their statistics tracked independently. Players may compete to be the top of their region, but only the most hardcore will reach the top of the globe.
- Updated Tracking. Thanks to that brand new code, we’ll now be able to track a larger number of statistics with a greater level of sophistication. It’ll explain itself once you see the list of statistics we intend to track. More stats below.
- Achievements. As hinted at earlier, Achievements will be possible to track and display on players’ Leaderboards page. These little challenges will encourage players to set goals for themselves during their games, rewarding them for reaching milestones such as, “Win 100 games” or “Get a 1.0 K/D ratio”.
- Medals and shiny things. Also hinted at earlier, Medals will act similarly to Achievements, but will be rewarded on a participation basis. If the user does something extraordinary that is not normally tracked by the Achievements system (such as be one of the top 1000 players in the Leaderboards or participate in a community event), the player may be awarded a custom medal that will be prominently shown on their Leaderboards page.
Here’s a hint of some of the statistics that are planned to be added:
- All of the current stats
- Number of arrows shot.
- Distance traveled via walking/sprinting/swimming/boat, etc.
- Longest Arrow Shot.
- Arrow Accuracy.
- Longest Winning Streak.
- Number of Stats Resets Used
- Date of their First Game
- Date of their First Win
This is just the start of the what MCGamer has in store. Stay tuned for more updates, features, and exciting things in store as part of the MCG V2 Updates.