• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Day 385 - SGClassic Is More Broken than November 22, 2013

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about what to post about the SGC situation for a while now, but it's a tricky situation all around.

First of all, it's important to remember what the Administrative perspective for SGC's introduction was. MCSG has always been the largest and most important gametype in the community, but SGC was something that a vocal group within the community clamored for. They wanted old-style SG, and we wanted to give it to them. But remember that MCSG V1's code was old and broken, and we did not have the time, resources, patience, or demand for a full rewrite for a dedicated mainstream version of SGC. In order to maximize our utility with MCSG V1, we reached a compromise where SGC would be created by updating MCSG V1's code to working order. No full scale rewrite was done because it wasn't deemed necessary nor useful given the niche appeal of SGC. Not only did having that old code add a lot of nice little nods to the old ways, it also saved out Developers a lot of time and effort that they could have used with other projects.

So SGC is basically old code that has been restored to working order and up to date... in 2013. If you're wondering why things are breaking now, it's most likely because Minecraft has changed a lot more than SGC has (late 1.7 and 1.8 anyone?). SGC was a fun throw-back to MCSG V1, meant for niche appeal for a small amount of players who appreciated how things were. However, once SGC was released, we moved on to other projects and higher priorities.

And that runs us to the crux of the issue here: Developer attention is limited and scarce, so we must think economically. That always means forgoing some options in order to obtain others that are more important.
The Developers are a highly competent bunch, and anyone who thinks that they're "a bad dev team" or that they're "not doing work" is woefully misinformed and has no idea of what is going on. But they cannot do everything all the time always, and so they must be delegated tasks depending on how important it is to the community. MCSG is a gametype that is our bread and butter, so it is deemed a high priority; the AVN acquisition and merge was planned to expand our gametype repertoire, widen our appeal to players who are looking for some non-competitive mini-games, and solidify the future of the community, so it was deemed a high priority; the MCGamer V2 Update was a highly complicated infrastructure redesign that made our server infrastructure perhaps the most advanced one in all of Minecraft, and thus pave the way for future developments for the network, so it was deemed a high priority. All of these things were decided to be important enough for the well being of the network as a whole that it was worthwhile to focus on them, and consequently ignore everything else. As unfortunate as SGC's decline may be, it was understandable and justified in that economic sense, especially since it would likely require a more in-depth rewrite to update than before. We may not be able to please the few players who play SGC, but we did manage to content the many more players elsewhere around the network.

So what happens now? SGC might make a comeback, but there are still many priorities that need to be seen to first. I think a Developer would be needed for further elaboration. But I thought I would leave my two cents from the Administrator's perspective on the matter.

GeckoGoggals

Old Timer
Reaction score
from the Administrator's perspective on the matter.
This is exactly what I was looking for, an in-detail explanation of why SGC hasn't been payed attention to. (tbh I was kind of expecting to get it from you if I ever got one)
anyone who thinks that they're "a bad dev team" or that they're "not doing work" is woefully misinformed
I know and respect their constant hard work, as a plugin developer myself, I know how much time it takes to create even simple plugins.
But they cannot do everything all the time always,
This made me laugh, I don't know why, but it's true :/

So what happens now? SGC might make a comeback, but there are still many priorities that need to be seen to first. I think a Developer would be needed for further elaboration
Lastly, yes, SGC might make a comeback, but there is one thing that could make that comeback more likely, a bigger map rotation. This brings me to my one unanswered question:
How long does it take to add a map to the rotation?
I know that it might take a little while because of what happened in Community Games 5, and that every time there's a map update, the post is in the afternoon and the update isn't actually in the system until the evening, so it obviously takes a little time, but not too much. If we could ask for one thing, it would be the map rotation listed here: http://www.minecraftsurvivalgames.com/threads/survival-games-classic-suggestions.156864/
Yeah, it's one day away from working on everything else, but one day out of the 411 days that SGC has been at the bottom of the priority list. Anywho, I've got enough satisfying information to stop making rage threads about this, so thank you for that :)

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
How long does it take to add a map to the rotation?
I wish I could say, but mapping matters are not my department. I just know that after we have the completed map file, it gets handed to a Developer or Chad for integration with our system. The process of uploading and integration doesn't take too long, but it's such a small task that it often gets overlooked and forgotten in the average shuffle of things.

I will pass on the map rotation idea to them, however. I think we should consider that at least.

Yeah, sorry about taking so long with a response, but I really was worried about how those facts would come off. People don't understand what goes on behind the scenes (and even if they do, some can't accept it), but I also think we need to improve communication and transparency between the public and the devs as well. Hopefully that is something we can improve upon in 2015. Thank you for understanding.

trevinator2011

Tribute
Reaction score
Wow this is a very good thread about SGC hopefully the Devs do fix it and maybe I'll come back to Mcsg when the community becomes more user friendly also Happy New Year everyone. :D

TheGamerTag123

Platinum
Reaction score
They do so much for us, cut them some slack:)
Doesn't look like it, I mean with all the wrong decisions, like 1.8 (Extremely bad decision), and the new hub, and the stats, ect. I mean i'm sorry for the hate but it so bad that a good server is doing this, so many people are ganna quit again its ridiculous.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci