• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Controversial Non-Minecraft Topics on the Forums. Good or bad?

arsenal

District 13
Reaction score
In the wake of recent events there has been an large amount of threads with potentially controversial topics that have to do with the real world. An example of one of these types of threads can be found here: http://www.mcgamer.net/threads/syrian-refugees.232313/ Some may say that a gaming community is not the best place to discuss things like this and it is better to do so elsewhere. However clearly these are topics that many of us are connected to so does that make it ok? Do you guys like having this stuff on the forums? Let me know your thoughts! I am really just curious because I have seen some mixed opinions. No I am not doing a poll because I want to know your reasoning, not just a yes or no answer.

My personal opinion:
Personally I think it is great to be having these types of conversations on the forums as long as they are done in a respectful manner. I think the large majority of topics that have been discussed are important as they effect the large majority of us. So why not have a civilized discussion about them then? After all sharing our ideas and listening to what others have to say about them will allow us to revise our ideas to make them even better.

Burningcupcakes

Platinum
Reaction score
I think it is a good idea for people to share their opinions on these forums. However where it goes bad is when people can't be mature about it. So it's good if we can be respectful and mature about the topic but all hell breaks loose when we don't

arsenal

District 13
Reaction score
I think it is a good idea for people to share their opinions on these forums. However where it goes bad is when people can't be mature about it. So it's good if we can be respectful and mature about the topic but all hell breaks loose when we don't
Agreed. Sometimes when people are very passionate about something they go past what is acceptable on these forums in order to display their opinion. However, the large majority of the time I believe that people are respectful when giving their opinion. I mean we survived the God Debate twice already. Small amounts of flame can always be cleaned up by staff. In the end a lot of it just depends on the topic.

N

Nikola

It all depends, some people can't stand other people's opinions so there's where the flame beggins.

T0M

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Discussion is healthy for change.

Not saying discussion on a Minecraft server's forum is going to disarm ISIS.
Yes, Its the only way. In the end we're just people behind a computer screen

Omar

District 13
Reaction score
I think its a good idea personally since people can actually find out other people's POV's and discuss it in a civilized manner rather than arguing about a subject. It provides people the ability to get pros and cons about the topic and see if their point from the beginning has changed or remained the same.

arsenal

District 13
Reaction score
We're Minecraft Players. Not the Government who can make the difference
Well depends what country you live in, but if you live in a democracy then you the people get to decide who runs the government. You may not be old enough to vote now, but eventually you will be and it will be up to you to decide which candidates have viewpoints that you support the most.

bad2020

Experienced
Reaction score
I believe that it is good to express your opinions and share your beliefs anywhere. It may be true that most of the community will not do anything to help with any of these topics but some may. It is good to have an educated public that has received many opinions and facts from a variety of sources. Whether it should be on our forums, I would say yes as long as they are posted in the correct forums category.

BitoBain

Career
Reaction score
Yes, there needs to be controversy. If a problem is caused by a human, it is caused by ignorance. Bring 'em on!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci