• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Banning for "admitting it"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheParrot

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I honestly think they're just trying to keep people from hacking - if this rule was removed - people could admit that they're hacking, when they really are, say "jk" and get out of it.

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
The problem is that when we accepted people admitting to hacking, players went, "OMG, this server allows hacking! People are openly admitting it in chat, and the mods do nothing!" And not only were the mods getting fed up with sarcasm being reported as Hacker reports, but the players and their misunderstanding of sarcasm was starting to make us look like hackers were flaunting their hacks in public without repercussions.

That's the problem with sarcasm over the internet: a lot of people just don't get it.
As such, we adopted a policy that leans on the side of caution when it comes to a joke about something so serious. We'd like to allow for a more lenient policy, but it's easier to just tell people not to joke about something so serious.

croe97

District 13
Reaction score
On top of what Col stated, there is actually quite a large number of people I have witnessed hacking after previously admitting to it. As a moderator, it is expected most of the time we ensure the person who admits to hacking is actually doing so by spectating them through some games. The majority of people who have admitted to it in the past, are actually hacking in game. In fact, on multiple occasions while recording hackers in game, they have stopped to say things like 'GET REKT my hacks are OP'.

Differentiating between joking and being legitimate appears to be the main concern. As Col stated, our policy errs on the side of caution. If this wasn't the case, a lot of people who are deserving of punishment would be unbanned by adopting this dispute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci