• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Are overplayed maps becoming an issue again? (My observances/your observances)

Boboaluitz

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Okay, here's my input.

The voting update did make some positive changes with overplayed maps and how people vote, but it met in the middle of the issue. Through this bipartisan update, maps could still be overplayed, but they could not be played in a row. Yet still, especially with the addition of the two beloved maps of the community (Holiday Resort and Valleyside), we have a rotation of overplayed maps. Perhaps a counter for this could be adding to the 'Already Played' list, the temporary Graveyard, to make sure that more maps are played rather -in most cases, at least- than other maps only being played when the elite, much loved maps are not on the ballot. A longer list of 'Graveyarded' maps will make the oasis of these 'good PvP/IhaveanOPchestroute' maps run dry, forcing people to not only try new things, but actually struggle sometimes, getting to know and love other maps as well.

Then again, maybe that isn't such a good idea. Sometimes mediocre maps, or maps that some people have personal problems with get voted in place of the venerated maps. Maps that would make donors leave. Personally, I leave when Freeze Island is voted in CA servers, and sometimes for Solar Frost and other maps. Most people ADORE these maps, and were it their other precious maps were out for the count these other maps would get voted in their place just as frequently. The top maps right now are lesser of some 'major' evils. Basically, if we didn't have the power player maps, there would be other who take their place as being overplayed. Maybe there can't be as much of a solution, unless voting was removed altogether, and randomness restored. But, the community doesn't like that at all, so variety shall take its silent unfrequented seat.

Sadly there can't be much more of a bipartisan agreement in the field of voting/map variety, and I do find it disappointing that people are more attached to repetitivety than to variety. For now we'll have to relish in the rare moments of a scarcely played map somehow coming out on top.

Also I expected more out of the 'Random' Vote. I thought people would vote for it more often...

Haven't made a thread like this in a while.

PROSKILLZ2

Survivor
Reaction score
I haven't done a thread in forever, but I've been beyond frustrated with playing tonight so I thought I'd write one up on something I have noticed. All conjecture and opinion, no need to flame. As many comments as possible would be appreciated because I would really like to hear what other people have noticed. :)

So basically, I would estimate in about 50% of lobbies I join, either SG4, Holiday Resort, Valleyside, or Solar Frost are winning the voting. Then I'd guess in around 40% of lobbies it's either Drybone Valley, SG Highway, or Breeze Island. In the other 10% everything else/random vote is winning. And I'm pretty sure the maps I didn't name that are in that 10% greatly outnumber the ones I did name. Additionally, if none of the maps in that 90% are available, often times the random option wins. (Again I just pulled these numbers out of my head as an educated estimate, I didn't actually keep track).

This is a bit sad to me as getting to play all the great Vareide maps besides SG4, and other awesome maps like Teweran 1 has become extremely rare, at least for me. And whenever by some fluke a rare map has a chance, it's listed below an overplayed map and even if it ties; it loses still because the tied map listed above always gets played (Another thing I think needs to change, but that's another issue... yes it does work that way.)

It just seems like most players these days are programmed to vote for certain maps any chance they get, and nothing will change their thinking. As good as the maps in that top 90% are, they simply just get old and repetitive when played so much; which for me isn't fun, it's boring. I mean, if they actually got a chance to play a great map like SG2 a few times to get used to it, might they actually enjoy and want to vote for it again? Whatever the case, I hope and actually suspect that changes might come to the voting system soon, because in the long run it will be better for everyone, even for new players who don't like playing anything but SG4 and Valleyside University at first. It will help them to appreciate our other maps more, which I'm sure would make the map-makers proud.

So anyone else notice anything similar with map selection or am I just crazy? Please share!

TL;DR
Let's get some variedety here! (And other underplayed maps :p)
There are 48 player servers for dem sexy Vareide maps

Reaction score
ok heres my opinion about this. maps are over played for a reason, usually because they are good. So to fix this remove all the under played maps and add new maps and then remove the new bad ones and so on till the maps balance out. I like a ton of the underplayed maps but if they don't get played then why keep them. Give the community something new such as one of the many great maps in the finished maps section.
I don't think you understand. The whole community likes to play these "under played" but it doesn't get the chance to , from all the "newbies" that fall from all these spams in the chat saying "vote 4 for diamond sword!" "vote 4 for team!" or just trollers , the good maps don't get a chance to get played.

cadbane4321

District 13
Reaction score
Lol, even if I don't play in the lobby I am in for some reason, I still vote for the underplayed maps. For example, if on have to go and I am in a lobby, I would vote for sg2 and leave. I do this to have the other 23 people play some underplayed maps that they might enjoy and vote for in the future. I want to show them that there are maps that are better/as good as sg4, valleyside, etc.

Edit: also, the main reason I think maps are overplayed is the chests and tiers. Think about it, sg4, valleyside, and holiday are probably the top 3 overplayed maps. All 3 of them have lots of chests and tier 2's are common. Then there's maps like vida cova, where there aren't many chests and barely any tier 2's. I think mcsg needs to do a better job sometimes when tiering maps, as it can result in a map being very underplayed because the tiering is bad.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Usually the maps that the community votes are actual good maps, and in this era of MCSG people rather play PvP based maps than large maps that take ages to finish. I don't see any problems with the map voting in conclusion but rather like it the way it is now.

PROSKILLZ2

Survivor
Reaction score
I haven't done a thread in forever, but I've been beyond frustrated with playing tonight so I thought I'd write one up on something I have noticed. All conjecture and opinion, no need to flame. As many comments as possible would be appreciated because I would really like to hear what other people have noticed. :)

So basically, I would estimate in about 50% of lobbies I join, either SG4, Holiday Resort, Valleyside, or Solar Frost are winning the voting. Then I'd guess in around 40% of lobbies it's either Drybone Valley, SG Highway, or Breeze Island. In the other 10% everything else/random vote is winning. And I'm pretty sure the maps I didn't name that are in that 10% greatly outnumber the ones I did name. Additionally, if none of the maps in that 90% are available, often times the random option wins. (Again I just pulled these numbers out of my head as an educated estimate, I didn't actually keep track).

This is a bit sad to me as getting to play all the great Vareide maps besides SG4, and other awesome maps like Teweran 1 has become extremely rare, at least for me. And whenever by some fluke a rare map has a chance, it's listed below an overplayed map and even if it ties; it loses still because the tied map listed above always gets played (Another thing I think needs to change, but that's another issue... yes it does work that way.)

It just seems like most players these days are programmed to vote for certain maps any chance they get, and nothing will change their thinking. As good as the maps in that top 90% are, they simply just get old and repetitive when played so much; which for me isn't fun, it's boring. I mean, if they actually got a chance to play a great map like SG2 a few times to get used to it, might they actually enjoy and want to vote for it again? Whatever the case, I hope and actually suspect that changes might come to the voting system soon, because in the long run it will be better for everyone, even for new players who don't like playing anything but SG4 and Valleyside University at first. It will help them to appreciate our other maps more, which I'm sure would make the map-makers proud.

So anyone else notice anything similar with map selection or am I just crazy? Please share!

TL;DR
Let's get some variedety here! (And other underplayed maps :p)
sg4 is gr8 xD

im_Batman225

Diamond
Reaction score
have you ever thought that the reason some maps arent played is because they arent good? sg1-3 were all loads of crap and dont belong on this server but other than that the ones like tw 2 and solar frost are voted because they are good maps. if i win 90% of the time on the "overplayed" maps then why would i vote for maps that have corn chest and then almost none except in one big ship? maps likevalleyside and sg4 have good pvp a good spread of chests and provide an all around good expirience.

themastern00b

Diamond
Reaction score
have you ever thought that the reason some maps arent played is because they arent good? sg1-3 were all loads of crap and dont belong on this server but other than that the ones like tw 2 and solar frost are voted because they are good maps. if i win 90% of the time on the "overplayed" maps then why would i vote for maps that have corn chest and then almost none except in one big ship? maps likevalleyside and sg4 have good pvp a good spread of chests and provide an all around good expirience.
Excuse me, but did you just call Sg2 bad? If so I will be at your house momentarily.

Captain Dak

Platinum
Reaction score
I agree on SG1, as is, the pirate is and possibly always has been ridiculous, but I can already tell you probably don't know what you're talking about when you call SG2 and SG3 "loads of crap". You've probably barely played them. They have GREAT gameplay and plenty of chests, you just have to work a little to find them, which is hardly the case on Valleyside or SG4. In fact, I welcome the fact that they don't have too many tier 2s. It makes for a more interesting game. Although they do need more, in my opinion. We need to find the perfect balance for chest-tiering, no easy task I'm sure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci