• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Portal - Gamemode Suggestion

Lively

District 13
Reaction score
Now, as an avid PC Gamer, I see Gabe Newell as one of the most influential people in the PC Gaming industry. I’m sure you are also aware of my love for this server as well. Now, I haven’t been playing very much minecraft lately, due to some IRL issues and the fact that I want to do a lot of forum related work.

I’ve also gotten back into the habit of playing a few of my old PS3 games, specifically Portal 2. I’m sure you’re all aware that our server has had a focus on PvP related minigames since it creation in 2012. While we have started to expand our gamemodes, with ZedChase, BattleGrounds, and Creative, I want a gamemode that challenges people, makes them think. I want Portal in Minecraft.

-------------------------------

Now, I've taken the liberty of creating a few pictures of what the gamemode would look like.

The only block that can have portals is Quartz blocks.

This is what the portals would look like in a single player game:
http://imgur.com/9R8mSZz

This is what the doors look like:
http://imgur.com/SPh0cOe
The water behind the door acts as the emancipation grid, which will delete all items, except for the portal gun.

On a Two-Player game, the portals would look something like this:
http://imgur.com/w4X2ZUF

---------------------------------

There will be 4 modes of MCP.
  • One Player
  • Two Players
  • Portal Race
  • Portal Brawl
One Player:
  • This mode will consist of really short maps, that take no more than 3-4 minutes. Lobbies will consist of around four people, or more if this is a low-power plugin. The server restarts once all players have passed the finish line, or if the time limit expires. The maps will be chosen before you enter the lobby (Similar to Hypixel's server choosing system).
Two Players:
  • Similar to the One Player mode, but players are split into teams. before the lobby time ends.
Portal Race:
  • This one will be for 5-15 people. It's exactly as the name suggests. Whoever gets to the end first wins.
Portal Brawl:
  • Players are in one large room with plenty of portal-able surfaces. Scattered around the rooms are buttons that activate traps. Your goal is to stay alive the longest. While I said I didn't want more PvP gamemodes, this would be a fun and interesting twist on PvP that many would enjoy.
----------------------------------

I created a short, kind of broken video of what it would be like. This was built on our creative server, adn the video was created by using multiple cuts to replace blocks. I few of the clips got misplaced or lost, so I apologize for that, but it should be enough to understand the basic gist of what I'm trying to get at.

----------------------------------

Now, I know this would take awhile to code, but I feel like this would be a fun gamemode to have on our servers. Perhaps if this is implemented, we can start adding more aspects of the game, like the speed and bounce goop, and the light bridges.

Last edited:

Sheldor

Career
Reaction score
This seems pretty awesome! We definitely need a level where you can just shoot the roof and floor and fall indefinitely though! Or that needs to be possible in the lobby.

Tyco

Career
Reaction score
Yes pls. Now I remember I own Portal, brb.

Pixelatorx2

Platinum
Reaction score
Actually wouldnt be hard to create, just get the location of where the player right clicks, if its a quartz make portal if not dont :p

+1!

Vaangel

District 13
Reaction score
Portal has the best single player campaign I have ever played, to see this fantastic game in Minecraft would be amazing. Still, if it is not well- coded it will end up looking and feeling like crap, therefor quite a bit of time would have to be put into it.

Ikanacanyon7

District 13
Reaction score
I really Like this idea and I would love to see it implemented! But Im not sure if it is possible to make.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci