• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Ping Limit

shoottomaim

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Perhaps we could have a ping limit on the servers? This would prevent laggy people from coming in and destroying all of us with their wooden sword, while we're there trying to hit a ghost.
Thanks again MCSG.

Le0

District 13
Reaction score
No, for many reasons. We don't want to stop certain players playing on our servers simply because their internet is not good enough, restricting it to only people with good connection.

As well as that, ghosting players can't hit you... and usually can be hit.

It would also be very difficult to code, as the servers would have to send packets to every player in order to gauge the ping, so we don't want to waste time coding a not very useful feature when there are more important features to implement.

shoottomaim

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
No, for many reasons. We don't want to stop certain players playing on our servers simply because their internet is not good enough, restricting it to only people with good connection.

As well as that, ghosting players can't hit you... and usually can be hit.

It would also be very difficult to code, as the servers would have to send packets to every player in order to gauge the ping, so we don't want to waste time coding a not very useful feature when there are more important features to implement.
I understand the first point clearly.
As to the second point, it's hard to hit ghosting players when they're teleporting all over the place. The closest thing I get to a "hit" are the sparks, although they don't take damage.
Finally, the third point. Why do you have the reinvent the wheel? Just take an existing plugin and put it on the server, or in the SurvivalGames plugin? Decompile.
http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/alreadyping/
It's license allows you to decompile it and use it freely (GPLv2).
I suppose the lag would be an issue as well, but since they already reduced the amount of lobby lag that you get when you log in I don't see it as an issue?

I'm going to drop this suggestion now, seeing as the first point you've mentioned outweighs the others.

K259864

Career
Reaction score
I will move this to "Feature Suggestions" since this is more of a suggestion than anything.

xXxSangiexXx

Tribute
Reaction score
And I do not support the idea mainly because it will cause many players to leave.

BritishShoop

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
This would mean that players would
Find it difficult to play in servers in other regions or even their own regions.
It's not fair to discriminate players because they have a bad connection

darkai202

Mockingjay
Reaction score
So you're saying no Aussie players are allowed to play?

You cruel little..

ShaunDepro

Mockingjay
Reaction score
No, because firstly Minecraft ping detection is HORRIBLE. But if this were to be implemented keep it high around 1000.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci