• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

New Hub Feature to Reduce Lag

Should MCSG add a default silent hub option to the hub?

• Total voters

acelr

Diamond
Reaction score
Lately, MCSG has been getting a swarm of players on Saturdays and Sundays, and hasn't been able to keep up with itself. During the past few weekends, I've had games lag. Some games, everything froze but me, and it lagged me out. Other games, my enemy appears to "teleport" as I'm trying to fight them, but it's actually because the server can only track a certain amount of movement due to lag. MCSG is all hooked up to the hub in some way or another, so I've thought something that will reduce lag for all players.

My Feature Suggestion:
Create a setting that will make it so when you leave the hub, your clock will remain on "hide all players mode" instead of the default "show all players mode."

To elaborate, when a player enters the hub, they are on "show all players" mode by default. If it gets to laggy, the player can right click the clock, and the player will enter "hide all players" mode, which will reduce lag. Sometimes on weekends, the hub is so laggy, that it takes about 30 seconds to process my movements to right click the clock. And don't blame my computer, because it's a decent gaming computer, so it shouldn't have this issue.

Advantages
- Less lag in the hub
- Less lag throughout the server
- Players who don't want to see other players will have it set to default when they enter the hub
- Players who want to see other players when they enter the hub don't have to use my feature

Disadvantages
- Programming (I'm not an expert on programming, so I don't know if this is an easy or hard thing to program)

If you read my previous suggestion about a silent hub IP, I would just like to say that this is different, because it's the same IP, but a silent hub when you enter.

So there it is. A simple idea that will keep the servers less laggy, and people who don't want it, don't have to use it. Please take my idea under serious consideration, and thank you for your time.

Yin

Discord: prettyyinpink
Reaction score
Its a good idea, but I don't think you're the first to say it

AMooseMan3

Platinum
Reaction score
How about you don't join the hub? There's a servers area on the forums anyway.

Blockerville

Career
Reaction score
Yeah. I actually have the first 75 US servers in my servers.dat, if you want them. That should help you avoid the hub for a lot of the time.

And also, I know what you are talking about with clock lag. It can be annoying. However, I think it should be slightly different than what you suggested. It should be a feature where the hub remembers if you had player show on or off since the last time you were on the hub. Sometimes you just need to use the hub so using the forums isn't really a good option.

This shouldn't be too difficult to code, as MCSG already keeps extensive player data, so storing the state of your player show toggle shouldn't be difficult at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci