• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Necro-posting prevention?

Miner9823

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Although this sort of situation is usually unlikely, it may still happen every so often, and I think that a good way to prevent necro-posting is that after a certain amount of time replies aren't made, the thread is automatically locked because it would be deemed unnecessary for any further discussions to be made. For example, a thread about taco cats was made, if no one has replied to the thread after three days or so, then it would be automatically locked, however, I think that staff should be given permission to state final points before it is locked. What do you think?

Kezzer

District 13
Reaction score
In a lot of cases this could be beneficial however in some cases it is still worthwhile to have a thread open as it is the most current and relevant thread. Thanks for the suggestion and I am sure the staff team will take this into consideration.

Nikocheeko

Diamond
Reaction score
Whats a "Necro-Poster/Post" ? Is it when someone revives a dead thread? I confuse!

FadingPixels

Career
Reaction score
A necro post is when a post was created a while ago and is not that relevant anymore.

Kezzer

District 13
Reaction score
Whats a "Necro-Poster/Post" ? Is it when someone revives a dead thread? I confuse!
A necro post is generally described as a post on a thread that hasn't been posted on in over a month. An exception to this is that the thread is the most recent and relevant thread on the topic and the post is relevant to the thread.

Miner9823

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Actually, you are right, it is indeed someone who revives a dead thread or so they say. Basically when a thread that hasn't been updated for quite a long time, and is left there without being locked, and someone types a comment in it which puts it back to latest news and threads updates, which tends to get quite annoying because the threads are usually known to have been resolved, yet untouched for quite a while. You can read the rules about the forums here for anything else to prevent from breaking the rules here:

http://www.minecraftsurvivalgames.com/threads/mcsg-updated-rules-version-3-0.12254/

Have a nice day!

Nikocheeko

Diamond
Reaction score
A necro post is generally described as a post on a thread that hasn't been posted on in over a month. An exception to this is that the thread is the most recent and relevant thread on the topic and the post is relevant to the thread.
Does it have to be over 1 month old (from last reply) or can it be like lets say 1 week? Also, is there a consequence for these actions?

Kezzer

District 13
Reaction score
Does it have to be over 1 month old (from last reply) or can it be like lets say 1 week? Also, is there a consequence for these actions?
1 week isn't considered a necro and generally there are no consequences for a necro post unless the poster is known for necro posting a lot.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
I think that in order to avoid having still relevant discussions locked, perhaps it should the timer should be set to 1.5 or 2 months? Most necro's happen on threads that are older than that, and if the thread is still fairly recent then it could still be relevant.

Or, if a thread were to be locked by the system, there could be a way to request for it's unlock, if it's still relevant?
Right now I think you can use the Report button for that, but many people don't use that button, or don't really understand how it works. To some, it's just an aesthetic feature. If the thread is locked, an unlock-request button could be handy :3

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci