• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

My opinions on MCGamer's Maps

GeckoGoggals

Old Timer
Reaction score
These are my thoughts on the maps on the MC Gamer Servers
This thread is full of complete opinions and it is completely fine if you don't agree. Post what you think differently down below!
Key:
Best Arenas = Green
Better Arenas = Blue
Worse Arenas = Purple
Worst Arenas = Red
I'll start off with:
Quarter Quell Maps
Catching Fire
Good: This is only the second map created based off of the Hunger Games movie series. I really like the first map of the QQ gametype, because it has even sections for the disasters. The corn is perfectly even, and everyone has a chance to get a chest and get out within the grace period. The bowl shape makes you always know which way the middle is, which is a great plus *cough* forsaken ascension *cough* Another great feature is the deathmatch arena. It shows the corn after Katniss has shot the lightning arrow into the forcefield, so you can see the black forcefield, and it's burning, also, the paths leading to the center are slightly broken, along with the center Panem symbol.
Bad: The paths heading into the corn are exactly halfway between 2 disasters, so if you are trying to avoid a disaster by going into the corn, you'll be slowed down by the glass walls on the path, and may even be forced to swim.

Drifting Shores
Good: Drifting shores was a needed addition to QQ, with only 1 map, it was getting repetitive. Drifting shores has great builds. The Survival Games 3 was always my favorite corn, and drifting shores replicated that to some extent. It is inside a mountain, with tunnels leading out into the main areas. It has the perfect sized open spaces to fight, and the bridges limit swimming time and water battles.
Bad: Drifting Shores has different sized disaster areas, marked with lily pads on the water. The problem with this is that most disasters make you run a little, such as falling logs or mutants. With this arena's water, its hard to run away very fast, and since the disaster zones are different sizes and shapes, sometimes there is NOWHERE to run! Furthermore, the corn is the deathmatch arena. All of Red Forest's corns are open and perfect for a run at the middle, but not really built for a 3 man fight, the pillar in the middle makes half of everyone's bow shots miss, and the final 2 end up going in circles, which is frustrating.

Moving on to
ZedChase
Canyon
There isn't really much to compare canyon to, so it's gonna be green. The path is clearly marked, and you need parkour, memory, speed, and evasiveness skills to finish the course as a runner. It's not super impossible to get it within the time limit, and noobies have that perfect amount of time to use trial and error if they can stay away from the minions.

Next up is
Team Fortress 2
I don't know the name of the map, so whatever.
Similar to Zedchase, the gametype is based off of another game, and it only has 1 current map. All I can really say, is that if the map is good enough to be on the real game, then a replica of it should be acceptable here. Plenty of places to hide, and plenty of places to get killed.

Finally
Survival Games
The Survival Games
Good: What started it all, the classic map based off of the movie. Team Vareide did a good job making the map without any map guidelines, without other maps to look at and see what's good at, and without knowledge of half the arena because Suzanne Collins decided to not describe Thresh's fricking territory besides "grassy". This map also puts the "survival" aspect in Survival Games, you need to find food, chests, and many other things just to survive the natural ways if death (falling, starving, and burning), let alone the threats of 23 other people trying to kill you.
Bad: There aren't a whole lot of open spaces to attack in this map, there's the corn, the open spaces next to the tower and castle, and the places with small amounts of trees, but that's about it. Also, it has some OP spots, like the boat or the code door, each with 2 or more double chests.

The Survival Games 2
Good: Forumers: Good, you made it green. Players: WHAT?!?!? THIS SHOULD BE SUPER DARK RED! Well sorry players, I'm a forumer, and a veteran, and SG2 will remain my favorite map for all time. A fallen city. With broken skyscrapers reaching to the sky, a forest with waterfall, a nice housing area, and many other things all big cities have. This map was the first with chest routes, and they were pretty good too! The forest and buildings were good places to hide, but did not carry good loot, and many times, the buildings killed the players with fall damage. The overgrown theme sure made the contestant feel alone, and sometimes sad that they killed the only 23 other people left in the city.
Bad: The map had oodles of camping spots. The forest, the skyscrapers, and the sewers were all inviting new players to go in and get lost. Sometimes 3 or 4 would get lost and the last career would have to wait for them to die because he didn't have time to climb all the buildings.

The Survival Games 3
Good: It pains me to put this in purple, but it just has too many bad things. but here's the good. Inside the mountain lies the coolest looking corn in history. With trees curling up over the corn, and glowstone to light it all up, it made this arena an instant classic. The builds fit in well with the jungle theme. Also, the 120 start is a record setting run to the corn. There are also plenty of open spaces to run. The trees above corn add a new offensive tactic to attacking the corn too.
Bad: The jungle island theme was new and cool at the time, but now its way overused. You can easily get lost in this map, and there are plenty of trees to just camp in, and the deathmatch in the corn can become 1 sided if someone gets into the center first, because the opponent will need to swim to reach the other, or bow them down while getting struck by lightning

The Survival Games 4
Good: This map is a suberban city surrounded by mountains. It is another map with several chest routes, and plenty of open spaces to run. The buildings don't reach to the sky like in sg2, and you can see any players inside them. Gameplay goes quick and underdog cleanups are common. This map was obviously made with fun gameplay in mind.
Bad: The theme of the map just seems like an improved SG2, and the corn has some unfair positions. It has no deathmatch arena, which I really want to see, as this map is a fan favorite, and should have a deathmatch arena.

The Survival Games 5
Good: This deserves to have that blue text too. The frozen apocalypse theme is truly unique, and was rightfully released on 12/21/12 (apocalypse day). It has tons of open space to fight. There are more traps than SG4, but not too many like SG1. The buildings are hard to climb but are rewarding. Buildings aren't too short, but aren't too tall either. I like the unique corn too, starting in the big library, falling down into an enclosed space, with a maze to get out of before returning to the surface. It has that overhead advantage like SG3 too. With many cool builds matching the theme, I don't know why this isn't played more.
Bad: This map has lag, LAG UGH 14 FPS GAHD WHY!!!! Well its snow, what did you think? Aside from that, the map is not sprint-friendly, so running away to form a strategy isn't always an option. Chests aren't that well hidden, and the map doesn't have a lot of color to it. Gameplay goes fairly fast, but can drag on if the wrong people are in the server. Also, there is a switch which crashes the game.

ValleySide University
Good: This map has everything any MCSG map needs. Open spaces, nice builds, and a good theme. The name fits the theme very well, a college campus in a big valley. The main thing I like about this map, is that none of the buildings are old and worn down like in other maps. It's all completely in working order. The tier 2s seem spread out evenly throughout the map, which spreads out the tributes for a perfectly timed game. This arena has that touch that not many arenas have, and it's that nice first impression. This isn't my favorite map, but it probably deserves that spot.
Bad: The only things I can think of that's bad about this map is that the corn is easy to defend and hard to attack, it's fairly flat around the corn, so no uphill/downhill advantages, and there isn't any camping spots close enough to snipe, then finish the job.

Lobby Games
Good: Started by a fatal glitch in the plugin, lobby games became a wanted arena in the community. When it was revamped into a real map by Team Elite, it had most of the things that normal arenas needed. The corn had a way of weeding out the nubs that couldn't jump, and the void made underdogs win fights easier, but with the price of loosing the opponent's loot. It added a new aspect to the survival games: studying the map. You could go around the lobby looking for secrets and chests during the wait time, and if this was chosen, then you have a free route figured out.
Bad: The Lobby Games are missing a few major aspects however. It is missing those open spaces to fight, and the bridges were not an ideal place to fight. The corn again was easy to defend, and difficult to attack, with only 1 entrance area into it. The only builds were the actual lobby builds and a few insignificant builds here and there.

Hub Games
Good: This map is also another one of those 'study' maps, but without the chests. It had the nice factor where you always knew where the corn was, and having no forcefield, just void, weeded out the nubs trying to escape the map.
Bad: This map was basicly a knock-off of Lobby Games. Only minor changes were made to the hub map to make it a SG arena. The chests weren't that well hidden, and gameplay seemed to drag on. The corn had only tier 1 chests, which made returning at night pointless, and any night fights that were possible, were eliminated. The only open space is the giant flatland of the main ground of the hub.

Breeze Island
Good: The classic island arena, with perfect size. This map may not be the overplayed monster it used to be, but it's still a great map to play on. It has a nice short swim to corn, but you still have to get out of it to get the chests, unlike SG3. With its large amounts of water, boats become lethal weapons, and bows and arrows become more important than swords at times. Finding chests isn't a struggle, and traps and puzzles are there to even up the competition.
Bad: Water battles can take forever if the opponent is good at dodging arrows. Chases always tend to have that ring around the rosie feel, and you just run around the big island 10 times before getting the kill stolen anyway.

Demon's Breeze
Good: One of the remakes to Breese Island, it becomes a lethal arena with that constant threat of the lava sea hoping to destroy you. Similar to Lobby Games, it has those chances to knock off opponents with much better gear, but with the pain of loosing the loot. The bridges make chases more interesting, and the lack of water makes boats useless, and water battles are gone. Unlike Hub Games, Demon's breeze has many builds that breeze does not have, including a complete underground mine, and a large house.
Bad: Falling in lava, with great gear, is frustrating, especially when you had that chance to win. I'm not one for remakes, and I really hope not to see a 'demon's 2' with a remake of breeze 2. The corn can have invisible fire, if you have those dirty players in your game, and fishing poles become the most lethal weapon in the game, with swords becoming a side weapon.

Winds of Change
Good: This map has quickly become one of my favorite maps. The tunnels make it so the map isn't too flat, and you can't see clear across the map from corn. Also, the chest routes are fairly even, so none are too overpowered. I really like the indoor/outdoor theme, and with the corn being open on the top, it has that sg3 corn feel to it, and you can attack from above if you have the right plan. This really has top notch qualities.
Bad: It has the jungle island theme, which is overused. Some chests are in open spaces, and not hidden at all, some are even tier 2! That isn't the builder's fault but it still makes the map not as good. There isn't a whole lot else to say about this, but I do feel that the water half of this map seems a little empty.

SG Classic does not need a section because it's maps are included in the Survival Games section.
This is all I'm going to write for now, but I will update it with more Survival Games maps when I have time.

Last edited:

xExterminate

Platinum
Reaction score
I agree with pretty much everything, but disagree with SG3 being in purple. I honestly don't think that map should be on the servers, but it's one of the classic maps, so I guess it's staying.

SuperxAndrew

District 13
Reaction score
I agree with pretty much everything, but disagree with SG3 being in purple. I honestly don't think that map should be on the servers, but it's one of the classic maps, so I guess it's staying.
People hate SG3 because it is giant and they don't know the map. As an old player, I know the map, and it is one of my favorites to play on. To be honest, the only reason people hate it is because they don't know it, thus not getting chests/starving to death/getting lost. I can assure you it is one of MCSG's best as far as building goes. And if more people would give it a chance it would be fun for gameplay once more. (But this won't happen sadly. xD)

GeckoGoggals

Old Timer
Reaction score
(sorry for the double post)
Update 7/30/14: Added Winds of Change

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci