• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Moderator applications - Based off Grade rather than Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
One of the most important requirements to become a moderator in this community is the age. You have to be at least 14 years of age, though that’s only because they make exceptions for that age. But some people are born at different times of the year! They have to wait months longer than their classmates just because they were born a little bit later. But what if the requirement to be a mod was your grade, rather than your age?

If the age requirement went by grade, all people of roughly the same age would be able to apply for mod. Being able to deal with stress doesn’t necessarily have to do with age, it has to do with life related issues. School is one of them. School is something everyone has to deal with at the same pace. Everyone goes through the same thing at the same time, so everyone goes through the same stressful situations at the same time. Everyone in that grade has probably learned to deal with the stress too. So that can’t really be an issue.

Maturity would also be a problem though, if they started allowing younger applicants. Again, maturity can come with experience. This goes the same as stress.

You may say that people can lie about their grade? People can lie about their age anyway. That can’t be a big concern, since you can probably tell by their voice in most cases. I don’t see very many issues coming up by changing the requirement to a grade.

Of course, the main problem I can see coming up is that people can be ahead by a grade. But, they were moved ahead a grade because it was believed that the student was smart enough, while also mature enough to deal with the higher level of work. If you don’t think they are up to the job though, you can make an age requirement in the grade. Like in grade one, most people (in Canada, or at least my schoolboard) are 6 turning 7 (I think... :p I was 5 turning 6, so it must be that). But the people born after the summer are 5, turning 6. Then in grade 2 they are still younger, then again in grade 3, then again in all the future grade. So the person that skipped ahead would be younger than that.

Another problem is that different areas in the world have different school systems. Well, that’s a fairly easy problem to counter. Find out just some basic information about some regions and their school systems to find out what grade people would be in at what age. For example, in my schoolboard in Canada, people born before the summer are 14 turning 15 in grade 9. While people born during the summer (if you count the summer as the grade you are going into) or after the summer are 13 turning 15.

To finish off, I think it just makes more sense to base the mod requirement off of the school grade rather than a person’s age. Everyone of a certain age group will be able to apply at the same time, making it fairer in that sense. Thanks for reading! :)

Sorry if colour is bad for mobile/SG design, tell me if it is :)

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
I don't think age matters at times, a 13 year old can act as mature as a 21 year old:)
Yes, but they've already stated that they won't make age exceptions. So I thought this was the next best thing :) And a good thing even if they were making age exceptions :p

FortiPlex

Experienced
Reaction score
I find it funny how a user with 3 posts can have a higher chance of becoming mod than a person with thousand posts such as you. <3

Flyer

Roll Tide
Reaction score
Honestly, I know it won't happen, but why not go back to 15 with rare exceptions for younger ages with very good applications and high maturity? It shouldn't be too hard to deal with. Although there would be many more applications, you could probably pick out the worthy under-age people by the amount of detail and quality is in their application. The unworthy under-age people would probably have a weaker application that doesn't have as good quality. The rest would be just like the current ones. Plus, if this were to happen MCSG might be able to find quite a bit more moderators because a lot of the community is below the age of 14.

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
Grade would work but the issue is different countries use different grade systems. Also grade doesn't always result in more maturity.
Grade doesn't necessarily result in more maturity, but neither does age. They are both really the same in my opinion, the difference being a few months, and everyone of a certain age group being able to apply at the same time. And I already said in my original post that people have different school systems, and as long as a bit of research is done to make sure they are at a good grade level (which isn't that hard) they can be a mod too.
Honestly, I know it won't happen, but why not go back to 15 with rare exceptions for younger ages with very good applications and high maturity? It shouldn't be too hard to deal with. Although there would be many more applications, you could probably pick out the worthy under-age people by the amount of detail and quality is in their application. The unworthy under-age people would probably have a weaker application that doesn't have as good quality. The rest would be just like the current ones. Plus, if this were to happen MCSG might be able to find quite a bit more moderators because a lot of the community is below the age of 14.
That was what my previous post on a similar subject was about. They said, and I agree with this, is that the younger applicants aren't as mature at a younger age and may not be able to deal with the stress of the duties you have to go through as a moderator.

VeeZa

District 13
Reaction score
Really like this idea and I think it makes more sense to have it this way than based of of your age.

Yomega

Career
Reaction score
Only problem with this is, every place is different. The grade system isn't always the same and it could cause a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci