• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Ingress - Beta Android Game

Angryjukebox

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Hey there!

I'm making this thread for any android users out there who may be interested in the android game "Ingress". Basically, what ingress is is a Geo-caching game for your phone. Ingress is unlike most other games, being that you physically have to go to the individual locations of the portals to capture/hack them.

What Is Ingress?
Here's a video made by the creators of ingress explaining the game

How Do I Play?

Basically, with ingress you start off with a tutorial, and you get to pick the faction (Enlightened, Resistance) The enlightened are the more "under dog" faction, and there are far more Resistance than Enlightened.
When you come across another factions portal, you can "hack" it, and get "AP." You get far more AP for capturing a portal, creating a field, or even destroying a field. AP is what lets you level up beyond your start on level 1, all the way up to level 8. You need 10000 to get to level 2, 30000 for level 3, and it just goes up from there.

Hacking/attacking uses XM, which means "Exotic Matter" and you get this from roaming around, or coming across portals. XM will AUTOMATICALLY drift towards you if in your scanner, so there's no need to worry about clicking it and whatnot.

Fields and links are a very common thing in ingress, but don't worry if it looks intimidating! You take them down pretty much the same way as portals, by attacking the portals attached to them. When the portal is getting low, it can no longer support the field and it goes down. THe larger the field, the more AP you get for bringing it down.

What Side Do I Choose?

Honestly, no side is better than the other, it's purely based on your personal preference. The Enlightened are green, the resistance are Blue. Pick whichever has the least amount of portals in your area, to make it easier to level up and get AP to reach level 8!

How Do I start playing?

Because ingress is a Beta game, you need an invite code, which can be requested here. I have no invites remaining, but I'm requesting a few more soon.

Happy hacking!

Please Note! Ingress uses your data, so be careful if you have a limit!

James.D

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Ugh god outside? D:

Jks Looks like an interesting game, but needing to have an andriod and be connected on a network whilst anywhere is not something I can do :p

Angryjukebox

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Ugh god outside? D:

Jks Looks like an interesting game, but needing to have an andriod and be connected on a network whilst anywhere is not something I can do :p
At first I thought "Go outside?!" But then I realized you could pretty much play from the car

wonderwaffle237

Experienced
Reaction score
At first I thought "Go outside?!" But then I realized you could pretty much play from the car
But to get to a car you have to go outside, which means you have to get up, which means you have to stop being a lazy gamer who sits in front of a computer all day.

James.D

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
But to get to a car you have to go outside, which means you have to get up, which means you have to stop being a lazy gamer who sits in front of a computer all day.
What's wrong with being a lazy gamer who sits in front of a computer all day?

Angryjukebox

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
*Update* Removed video, instructions are going to slowly become text-based instructions.

Angryjukebox

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
#TriplePost/Bump

I went out earlier with someone hacking/attacking some portals, more than doubled my AP and took down a large field with help over my area. Took about two hours, but so worth it.
http://imgur.com/a/Z7vHE

Le0

District 13
Reaction score
Woah, this game looks super cool. xP just a question, what are the minimum requirements?(version of Android, CPU) I have quite an old phone, so it might not work. :L And also, does it generally mean you have to be in an area with other people that play? What happens of you are in the middle of nowhere xP

Angryjukebox

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Woah, this game looks super cool. xP just a question, what are the minimum requirements?(version of Android, CPU) I have quite an old phone, so it might not work. :L And also, does it generally mean you have to be in an area with other people that play? What happens of you are in the middle of nowhere xP
You don't have to be in an area with other people, but it does make it more fun and challenging. I happen to live in an area that's pretty evenly split, so portals often flip within hours and fields (A control field between 3 linked portals, gets more AP) go down sometimes in minutes. Yes, living in a more popular area does help, but it's not unplayable in the country. If there are unique local businesses or anything like that, you can submit the portal for review by Niantic, and hopefully it would be approved.

The phone specs; I don't know. I run it very easily on my Galaxy S2, which I've had for around 6 months. What kind of a phone do you have? It's always worth a shot.

**EDIT** Updated the thread, more info on fields.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci