• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Chest Spawn Points/Multiple Map Versions

Lhos

Survivor
Reaction score
The biggest issue I have with the current MCSG setup is how static matches are. Everyone has their route, everyone runs their route, everyone goes to the same chests and gears up. This happens every match. It's stale. The simplest solution I can think of is to vary where chests appear at all.

1) Via plugin (if this is even possible). Spawn points for chests are incredibly numerous so as to increase the variability of where they appear, with tier 2 chests potentially appearing either in specific locations or at a certain frequency within "hotspots" (ex: of all spawn points within a difficult-to-reach location, only one would have a tier 2 chest in it). This keeps people from sticking to a specific route, although general routes will still exist. It also adds in a particular kind of unknown element that keeps players on their toes - you have to watch for loot as well as players.

2) Via map versions. If chests cannot be placed dynamically within a map each time a match is set up, then multiple versions of a map could be used to simulate the same effect - just vary the chest layouts and give the worlds the same name so players can't tell the difference.

DylanS

Experienced
Reaction score
I think implementing this feature will cause a lot of confusion with players in-game. The games might take longer because you don't know where chests are, so you will need to work much, much harder to get good stuff. But again, the rounds will take much longer. Which sometimes isn't good.
This feature has positive and negative effects.

Lhos

Survivor
Reaction score
I think implementing this feature will cause a lot of confusion with players in-game. The games might take longer because you don't know where chests are, so you will need to work much, much harder to get good stuff. But again, the rounds will take much longer. Which sometimes isn't good.
This feature has positive and negative effects.
This confusion is part of the concept of Hunger Games-esque combat. You're not supposed to know where things will be. You're not supposed to have an advantage because you know where boxes full of gear are - your survival skills, your stealth, your cunning are supposed to win you a match, not your chest route.

If MCSG wants to be what it is now, that's not "wrong" by any means, but it's missing that one critical part that would make it closer to what it was based on, and it feels to me like it's missing that piece very much.

DylanS

Experienced
Reaction score
This confusion is part of the concept of Hunger Games-esque combat. You're not supposed to know where things will be. You're not supposed to have an advantage because you know where boxes full of gear are - your survival skills, your stealth, your cunning are supposed to win you a match, not your chest route.

If MCSG wants to be what it is now, that's not "wrong" by any means, but it's missing that one critical part that would make it closer to what it was based on, and it feels to me like it's missing that piece very much.
The gear within the chests are randomized so you never know what you will get.

DylanS

Experienced
Reaction score
Then the difference between a tier 1 chest and a tier 2 chest is....?
Tier 1: No cooked food, leather armor, etc.
Tier 2: Cooked food, ingots, gold - chain - iron armor, etc.

Lhos

Survivor
Reaction score
Tier 1: No cooked food, leather armor, etc.
Tier 2: Cooked food, ingots, gold - chain - iron armor, etc.
Exactly. I'm assuming you don't mean to say that knowing where tier 2 chests are doesn't grant a serious advantage.

DylanS

Experienced
Reaction score
Exactly. I'm assuming you don't mean to say that knowing where tier 2 chests are doesn't grant a serious advantage.
It's still random what spawns in them. And after a while you figure out a chest route. People rush for tier 2 chests and it will always be different who gets there first.

Lhos

Survivor
Reaction score
It's still random what spawns in them. And after a while you figure out a chest route. People rush for tier 2 chests and it will always be different who gets there first.
You can be pretty much assured that by X minutes into a match, someone has full armor and a diamond sword, because they're not hunting for loot, they're going from point A to B to C to D to E to F etc etc etc and if they get the loot they're after, they're off to a table. If not, they're killing players to try to get that loot. It's a loot race more than survival-based combat. Who can get to the good stuff first? Much easier to do if you know where it all is. Changing those locations even a little bit forces players to be more aware and more thorough instead of just cruising along a preplanned path and only watching out for threats. If the only way luck comes into play is "what's in the box" instead of "where is the box", then that removes an entire layer from the game and leaves it feeling over-simplified.

DylanS

Experienced
Reaction score
You can be pretty much assured that by X minutes into a match, someone has full armor and a diamond sword, because they're not hunting for loot, they're going from point A to B to C to D to E to F etc etc etc and if they get the loot they're after, they're off to a table. If not, they're killing players to try to get that loot. It's a loot race more than survival-based combat. Who can get to the good stuff first? Much easier to do if you know where it all is. Changing those locations even a little bit forces players to be more aware and more thorough instead of just cruising along a preplanned path and only watching out for threats. If the only way luck comes into play is "what's in the box" instead of "where is the box", then that removes an entire layer from the game and leaves it feeling over-simplified.
The luck ''what's in the box'' is there. I understand that you can say that you are guaranteed to have a good game after you took a certain chest route but EVERYONE has different routes and some players have the same chests in those routes and then they don't get that certain loot. But it's not a loot race. There is a lot of survival based combat in it. I can get full iron with a diamond sword. But do I know how to PvP? Do I know how to jump on certain blocks? How can I have a constant sprint going without being stopped by anything? In the beginning it's a loot race. After about 3 minutes into the game it's all about survival of the fittest.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci