• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Catching Fire Arena - MC Survival Games

Yabnat

Spectator
Reaction score
Hey there! I'm Matt, A.K.A. Yabnat; and I've recently built a recreation of the arena from The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, after watching the movie and being a massive fan of the books.

Basic Info

The map itself is 1000 blocks wide, although the glass dome covering it is approx 500 block wide, and 256 tall. The cornucopia is based on a circle in the centre of the map, and a jungle surrounds it. As I wanted to keep to the book, I made the arena quite small, although the dense jungle can create a good hiding spot. If you haven't already, I suggest you go watch the movie or read the book in order to get a better understanding of the arena.

The Arena

The cornucopia is placed on a circular beach in the centre of the map, on its own little rocky (bedrock) circle. 12 strips radiate from this small circle, in a clock shape. In between these circles is water and 24 pedestals, 2 for each 'bit'. These 'bits' represent 12 segments in the arena, and at twelve o'clock, there is a new danger in each segment every hour. Suzanne only describes 8/12 dangers in the arena, so here is the full list:
  • At 10:00, it is a giant wave, that reaches the cornucopia.
  • At 11:00, there are insects, Katniss (the main protagonist) and the others don't venture into this segment, although she does talk about a horrendous clicking sound, which leads them to believe they are carnivorous.
  • At 12:00, it is a lightning strike in one of the tallest trees in the segment.
  • At 1:00, there is blood rain, heavy, hot rain that is purely blood.
  • At 2:00, a poisonous gas forms in the segment, which gives tributes boils and blisters.
  • At 3:00, there is a pack of monkeys that arrive, which, again, are carnivorous.
  • At 4:00, there are Jabberjays, birds who can repeat lines of human speech.
  • At 6:00, again, they do not venture into this segment, but one tribute is pulled out of this segment in pieces. They mark the as beast.
*note* None of these dangers go past their segment, even the wave keeps to its own.

Now, to make these dangers possible would require plugins I think, although I am not skilled in this field. If you were to create these plugins, several other dangers would have to be created (I thought of: creeping vines, blindness, earthquake, and hurricane), so do you have any other ideas?

Extra Info
Now, forgive me if I sound unprofessional, but I have not created a spawn/pod area. If you would like, I may be able to build something of the sort, but I imagine you could simply do this yourselves. I would recommend having the main spawn a hovercraft (that brings the tributes into the arena), and the later spawn (right before placement into the arena), a pod like area similar to the first and second film.

The items in the cornucopia are quite mean, as I was sticking to the books, but feel free to obviously change them if need be.

This entire arena was made for a roleplay sort of thing, not completely acting like a different person, but spending maybe over an hour in the arena, with careers of the sort, solely made up of fans of the trilogy. Of course, this map can always be played normally, but I would recommend having some sort of livestream/video event, in which tributes are reaped, have some sort of training session, get assessed and given a score etc.

Contact Info
In this golden age of the internet, I feel it necessary to not give the map to the server in a forum post. I've always been conscious of others taking my work, and would feel it safer if I were to give you the file in some sort of PM. Apologies if this causes any inconvenience.

Photos
The imgur gallery is right here: http://imgur.com/a/5W9Dc

If there is any concerns or questions, feel free to ask!
Thanks for listening guys!

- Yabnat

Blazerboy | Noah

District 13
Reaction score
Well, the MCSG building team is actually building the map as well, I believe. And there is one potential concern, the corn (middle of the map) has only 1 opening to the chests, so the players on the opposite side have a disadvantage in getting to the chests in the middle.

DonutDudeMC

Survivor
Reaction score
Could you please provide more pictures? Also, I recommend if you were to remove the literal "Cornicopia", as it does provide an unfair advantage

Yabnat

Spectator
Reaction score
I agree, there is quite a disadvantage. Perhaps I could put chests around the cornucopia, and remove the ones inside it, as not to spoil the authenticity of the map?

hobo1955

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I love your knowledge on the books :)
Unfortunately though this map will most
likely never be added to the servers as the map committee is building the exact same thing :(
Really sorry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci