• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Windows 8?

ExpertWaffleMaker

Spectator
Reaction score
Ok so I was just looking around and stuff when I stumble upon windows 8. Apparently, it's coming out on October 26th. It will feature a separate view which will consist of.... well here's a picture:

So I was wondering:
Is it really worth it upgrading to windows 8 or waiting until it's out to buy one with it on.
I've been planning buying a laptop for a really long time and this is just a bummer.
I heard that the upgrade will cost $69.99, with the disc and stuff, but only $29.99 from the windows website.
Can someone explain to me how getting it from the website will work? If it's that cheap it's worth getting it this weekend with all of those back-to-school sales...
Will it affect the MCSG servers? I'm assuming not, considering it's just a software update, but JUST to be sure. So is it worth it upgrading or getting one with it pre-installed already?
What are your opinions on the new dashboard and stuff?
I wanna know :)

*EDIT*
My real question was if there is a performance difference between the two options. Like if it works better on one than another

Daalexantor

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Ok so I was just looking around and stuff when I stumble upon windows 8. Apparently, it's coming out on October 26th. It will feature a separate view which will consist of.... well here's a picture:

So I was wondering:
Is it really worth it upgrading to windows 8 or waiting until it's out to buy one with it on.
I've been planning buying a laptop for a really long time and this is just a bummer.
I heard that the upgrade will cost $69.99, with the disc and stuff, but only $29.99 from the windows website.

Can someone explain to me how getting it from the website will work? If it's that cheap it's worth getting it this weekend with all of those back-to-school sales...
Will it affect the MCSG servers? I'm assuming not, considering it's just a software update, but JUST to be sure. So is it worth it upgrading or getting one with it pre-installed already?
What are your opinions on the new dashboard and stuff?
I wanna know :)

This looks orginal and will improve the PC experiance greatly........ NOT. Haven't they done this with Xbox? and whats wrong with having a desktop with icons and stuff, do we realy need a dashboard?

ExpertWaffleMaker

Spectator
Reaction score
This looks orginal and will improve the PC experiance greatly........ NOT. Haven't they done this with Xbox? and whats wrong with having a desktop with icons and stuff, do we realy need a dashboard?
I have come to a realization that they have taken a few elements from the X-box 360 dashboard, but also from that new Nokia. I guess it's just to get to all of your stuff quicker or something. But it's not as expensive as windows 7 so I guess it's good to try out. They also have a working preview that you can install on your computer on the Windows website.

Habberz

Experienced
Reaction score
It'd seem a bit cool. Though this basically is Xbox 360. Plus, I'm sure some coders would create stuff to still give it that Windows 8 feel, yet a windows 7 feel ;) I did that with my Windows 7 comp. I added stuff to make it all look like a mac, so it had the nice windows, with a dash of mac ;)

ShaunDepro

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I remember a few of Chad's livestreams ago he had windows 8 but it caused tons of lag spikes when he was playing on the servers compared to windows 7. But it looks sweet :p I would suggest waiting.

Teije

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Don't buy it on release wait a month or two, and read the reviews... if they are positive, buy it! when they are negative, wait till windows makes an upgraded version or just buy windows 7

ExpertWaffleMaker

Spectator
Reaction score
Don't buy it on release wait a month or two, and read the reviews... if they are positive, buy it! when they are negative, wait till windows makes an upgraded version or just buy windows 7
But can't you downgrade your PC if you don't like it?
My real question was if buying it pre-installed makes a PERFORMANCE difference compared to installing it on a windows 7 pc. Or if they're the exact same :)

ExpertWaffleMaker

Spectator
Reaction score
I remember a few of Chad's livestreams ago he had windows 8 but it caused tons of lag spikes when he was playing on the servers compared to windows 7. But it looks sweet :p I would suggest waiting.
Well it's not the official windows 8, it's just the preview. They obviously have to change a few things...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci