• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

What makes a good map?

Kraken

Mapping Team Lead
Reaction score
Hey guys, Krackan here
I just wanted to ask all of you what you guys all think a map has to have to be considered a "good map". Any comments, ideas, suggestions, what ever! Just post it down below about what you think a map should include, besides to obvious of course :p

BlitzCometITU

Diamond
Reaction score
There is no real way to determine what makes a map good, it's all opinion based. Some people like ugly maps with good gameplay, some like beautiful maps with moderate gameplay. So there is no real way to decide what makes a map the best.

If you had to decide though, a commonly favored feature is scenery, the map needs to look nice. Ex: Waterfalls, Nice Terraforming, etc. If a map looks nice, and appeals to the eye, it's oftenly loved. But, it can be overdone, such as Terewan SG 3: Futuristic City. It is not uncommon to dislike the map, it seems as if they went totally out of survival games mode and just made a pretty map :p .

Another commonly favored feature is gameplay, the map has to have a nice terrain for fighting. Not too much grass, not bumpy, and definitely not a crap ton of water.

So what would make a good map would be a compromise of the two. The map needs to look nice, but also favor gameplay, so games aren't too short, or too long.

L

Lululioness

FUN
IT HAS TO BE FUN
Looks is a must for me, but if it's FUN I really like it.

Diar

District 13
Reaction score
  • Nice buildings.
  • Pretty terraforming, but still quite a few flat areas for PvP.
  • Traps.
  • Unique ideas that haven't been done before.
  • Great gameplay.

Blazerboy | Noah

District 13
Reaction score
It has to have interesting chest routes that provide enough different ways to go so that everyone has a fair shot. They have to have open, good areas for fighting, along with unique traps and quirks that make the gameplay interesting and the map look nice.

ProHighJacker

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Not a lot of water.
I know you might hate this next comment, Not a lot of ice XD
Evenly spaced area, not a lot of vegetation
Good look,
And good for pvp.

Reaction score
Well , you can determine a map for how good or bad it is. Ex: 40% of the people like Teweran SG3 Futuristic City cause it is open for fighting and its terraforming. 60% of the people don't like it cause it doesn't doesn't have chests close together.
But from my opinion , I think a great map:
Making a map is like making a sandwich
Terraforming= its the bread
Buildings= Its the butter
Redstone: Its the Sauce
Room to PVP: Salad
Chest Locations: Ham

Levah

District 13
Reaction score
Well , you can determine a map for how good or bad it is. Ex: 40% of the people like Teweran SG3 Futuristic City cause it is open for fighting and its terraforming. 60% of the people don't like it cause it doesn't doesn't have chests close together.
But from my opinion , I think a great map:
Lel thanks for using my post xD

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci