• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The Nether Lands

You like the map/idea?

• Yes

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Requires improvement.

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

Lord Chielz

Spectator
Reaction score
Hey there, I'm currently with a couple of friends working on a Nether-themed Survival Games map called: 'The Nether Lands'. (See what I did there?)

This is our first day building the whole thing and we finished the corn. (see screenshot below) The map is encased in a giant netherrack sphere instead of glass, so it's dark all the time.

We also plan on getting a nightcycle going, as in, it's never daytime. For that, we have to wait till 1.5 because that update includes the daylight sensor. I hear you asking, why would you want to have it be night all the time when it's encased in netherrack (no sunlight getting through). Well, when it's daytime, fog is very light, and at night, it's very dark. And light fog does not look that good in this map. If anyone else has a good mechanism for an everlasting night without using 1.5 mechanics, please tell me.

I would also like a LOT of feedback as I am aiming at getting this map on the mcsg servers. (The map is 500 blocks in diameter and located in the overworld, not nether as this causes lagg for a lot of people.)

More updates and screenshots to come.

ShaunDepro

Mockingjay
Reaction score
It's barely the nether that causes the lag, more the sheer amount of lava ;P

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
It's barely the nether that causes the lag, more the sheer amount of lava ;P
I'm pretty sure it's the loading of another dimension that causes the lag, and the lava of course.

I don't think this map would work with the plugin, because the refill is always at midnight (or something like that). That means on this map refill would come much faster, and that would not be good...

Lord Chielz

Spectator
Reaction score
I'm not really sure but i think (hope) the refill is based on how much time has gone by. Not based on night-time.
Feel free to correct me on this.

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
I'm not really sure but i think (hope) the refill is based on how much time has gone by. Not based on night-time.
Feel free to correct me on this.
I don't think it's how much time has gone by, because I've been checking on different maps at exactly what time the refill happens and it's different on a bunch :( So I'm pretty sure it is at a time during the night.

Lord Chielz

Spectator
Reaction score
Ok, I guess we just have to deal with the fact that there's going to be white fog, how repulsive that may look with a nether-map.

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
Ok, I guess we just have to deal with the fact that there's going to be white fog, how repulsive that may look with a nether-map.
You'd have to ask the devs to be sure, but probably. Personally, I barely notice fog anyways :p

fushi

District 13
Reaction score
yeah, this map would be mega-laggy :oops:

Stijn

District 13
Reaction score
As stated before this map will cause a huge amount of lagg.
To bad because it looks awesome.

Also, the cornucopia isn't really fair for the people in the corners.

BlackHead

Career
Reaction score
I don't think it's how much time has gone by, because I've been checking on different maps at exactly what time the refill happens and it's different on a bunch :( So I'm pretty sure it is at a time during the night.
Refill is at night time,what is when there a 28-29 minutes left...

Lord Chielz

Spectator
Reaction score
yeah, this map would be mega-laggy :oops:
I'm aware of the lagg problem with lava, so we're planning on using a very small amount of it. Enough to make it look like the nether, but not with giant lava lakes or something.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci