• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Teamspeak; the danger

OrangesAndLemons95

Experienced
Reaction score
Now, most of us will have atleast gone on teamspeak a few times, and I can say myself, its great! Its an amazing way to bond with players, meet new ones, and get in touch with with old ones. And I'm not here to say to stop going on it, or that its "the work of the devil", I'm just trying to raise awareness of some of the small dangers of it.

Recently I read an article in the papers. Now this article may be a few months old, but of course it is still %100 true, and should not be ignored.

The story, in a nutshell, is of a boy who met someone over teamspeak while playing Battlefield 4, decided to meet up with him, and was stabbed to death after meeting the man, who was not infact most of the things he had specified over teamspeak. The man had been grooming the boy, and when they met, he killed him.

Now I'm sure that most readers reading this are obviously not that stupid, but I just want to raise awareness that these things do happen, and we have to be careful in what we say and do.

You might be discussing some of your hobbies, interests, or even what the place you live in looks like, unknowingly. All of this info could lead for people to know who you are, and where you are.

We have to be careful about what we say and do.
Now I know that this was a BF4 teamspeak and not ours, but something could happen like this and please be careful.
If a player or even a member of staff starts to ask questions where you feel uncomfortable you MUST allert a member of Sr. Staff or an admin.
In worse case scenarios you must contact the police, and I'm sure you know, they have softwares and programs that can track people down.

This is about not only our internet, but your safety.
Thanks.

Edit: 10 past 7, 1st of December, this story was displayed on national news on british television.

Last edited:

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
You just never know. That's why I try to be really cautious about sharing more personal information to others.

bridgedragon

Diamond
Reaction score
You know, people really need to be cautious with these things. You just never know who's out there.

ProfessorRetro

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
This is why you never tell anyone on the internet your true information. Who knows, maybe a member of your MCSG clan that you've known for two years is just waiting for a moment to strike.

jtmboy

Diamond
Reaction score
That was a very heart-saddening story, also thank you for making this thread to spread awareness.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
A number of weeks ago, I conducted a brief test on three of my friends using personal information that they had shared with me.

Here were my findings:

For one friend, I took the name of his city, as well as his first and last name, and stuck them in Google.
I was able to find the names of him, his family, and his extended families.

On another friend, I typed in their city, what type of school they went to, and one fact about their school.
The results? I found the name of their school. Through that, if I wanted to I would be able to find their full name and address by making a phone call to their school.

A third friend who went under the same test produced similar results - I was able to find, from their name and city, their a) school, b) address, and even c) relationship status.
Of those that I tested, I used ONLY Google. I could have even gone on to use Facebook or any other social medias that they had, but I did not because it would be a further invasion of their privacy (and, to be honest, simply stalkerish.)

The full thread on my test: http://www.minecraftsurvivalgames.com/threads/internet-safety.142973/

Long story short, the Internet is incredibly wide open. Your virtual footprint can be incredibly long, winding through places you never realized.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci