• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Several questions about corn design/map concepts.

Guinessis

Experienced
Reaction score
Hey MCSG, just have a few questions for you.

Disclaimer first: I have only played a handful of hunger/survival matches. I spend most of my time tinkering and building for other gamemodes. However I've decided to give making a hunger games map a whirl for a nice change of pace.

While I wish that this was eligible for the competition, the core building is from an older build of mine. I've included it in the competition list for possible addition to the server, not for any of the prizes.

Moving on to the questions, I've created a corn as seen here:

It may be a bit cramped. 24 spawn points are floating around it. Players may either make the leap for the corn (and risk falling), or may step back onto the platform and flee. Do these sorts of corns work, or are there any major issues with this design? Odds are I will lower the entire corn a few blocks so that players don't take fall damage if they turn around, and so that players with easy access to a tree won't have an unfair advantage at the start.

Does the corn necessarily have to be at the center of the map? What is the typical distance from the spawns to the center?

The deathmatch arena is suspended above the map. Still early, so I haven't added details yet:

Overview of the map:

At the center there is a large structure with lots of places to hide and hidden chests. Surrounding the center are more chests, more islands, more structures, etc. The highest concentration of chest are at the center building, but this will also be high traffic.

There will be a series of suspended walkways that allow players to move about quickly at the expense of visibility:

Misc additional screenshots:

PMC post that I'll update now and then:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/hunger-games-relic/

In summary, do any of these gameplay elements strike you as a terrible fit for Survival Games? (corn design, sky paths, large center structure, etc). Ideally the map will work well for the server and not cause too many headaches, and your feedback can help me accomplish that ;).

Much appreciated.

Qualia

Diamond
Reaction score
I like it! Unlike all other maps, actually going to grab a chest may he difficult in itself as you may jump/fall down the hole beneath :)
Just an enquiry, how old are you?

Guinessis

Experienced
Reaction score
Much older than the cutoff age for using these forums I can assure you, but also not 60 as my public profile appears to state - never been a huge fan of RL information in the minecraft community ;).

Qualia

Diamond
Reaction score
Much older than the cutoff age for using these forums I can assure you, but also not 60 as my public profile appears to state - never been a huge fan of RL information in the minecraft community ;).
I can tell, it's awesome when an adult comes on the forums :p I see where you're coming from there although I don't share that belief :)

VeeZa

District 13
Reaction score
Wow the map looks absolutely amazing! But I think the corn is a little too cramped.

Guinessis

Experienced
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! I've found a new location for the corn that is still centered in the map but offers much more elbow room (15-20 block radius). I'll continue to update as things progress later this afternoon.

Guinessis

Experienced
Reaction score
New pictures of the Corn. Similar concept, just now at the base of the main structure instead of the top.

View from underneath. Be careful!

TotalDramaTony

District 13
Reaction score
Thread Status: Locked

This thread is being moved and locked due to the map/idea not having any progression in a large span of time. If you need your thread to be reopened, PM a Staff member if this map/idea is still in the works.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci