• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Regarding Recent Rank Changes

What should happen to ex-staff as a result of this new rank change?

• Total voters

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Please excuse any historical errors, this comes from my recollection of events and mine only.

Now as you may have known, the friend rank has been redefined to serve only "friends" of the Sr. Staff, which was somewhat of its original point. It then evolved, though I don't know how, into a rank given to ex-staff members and staff members alternate accounts (which, imo, was an incredibly good move to honor mods services). The friend rank has been around for almost a year now, and has served the community positively, until yesterday it was removed from the ex-staff aspect. There was a slight outcry from ex-mods, current staff members, and friends of people who may have had this rank removed. I am here to voice my opinions on this, and let others share theirs.

First off, I believe the friend rank was limited because of multiple reasons. Ever since it was implemented, a lot of good and respected staff members resigned within the first 5-6 months of its existence. I am not saying these people actually resigned to just get friend rank, but if the rank was not there, who knows if they would have ever resigned. Our conscience brains aren't the only parts of us doing the thinking, we sometimes have impulsive and deeper animalistic desires that drive us to do things, some in a good way, some in a bad. These mods may not have consciously resigned for friend, however they might have resigned earlier than without the rank because they knew that they wouldn't have to be thrown back in to the world of being a regular unprioritized member. This is shown in the real world today. There are some people around the world that feed off strong healthcare because they can live off of it, there is no need to get a job if there is incredible healthcare in some countries (given that it may not be a good, high-quality living, it is still a free one). This led to an increase in laziness in some people.

So MCSG made a choice to limit who receives the friend rank to actual friends of staff.

(^ my theory ^)

Here is an excerpt from CAm's "All Ranks with Descriptions" thread.
Friend: Friend rank is given to a few types of people. The first is retired staff. To honor and thank the staff who have always tried their hardest to help the community, staff members who have recently retired are given the friend rank. This is likely subject to change in the future.

VIP: VIP is given to users who have greatly helped the server in certain ways.
It is stated that Friend rank is subject to change. There is also something else I noticed. Read about the VIPs. VIPs, or Very Important Players/People are people who have greatly helped the server in certain ways. Judging by that, all ex-staff and staff's alts should have been VIPs in the first place! Just by being themselves and moderating the servers, they are acting as a first defense against rule breakers which is almost the most important job someone can do on the servers. VIP is however given to Ex-Sr. Staff members because of their greater contribution. Why not give it to mods too?

So spinning off my idea of VIP, why don't we just create a whole new rank to recognize ex-staff members and staff member's alts? My answer: why not. I'm sure MCSG has its reasons, or maybe they haven't though of it yet. We don't really know, from a normal user perspective. That's why we make suggestions like these, to let the staff know we're out here and have something awesome to say to lend a helping hand! Anyway, back on track. What if we were to give out a whole new entire rank for this purpose? We could give it its own original color, maybe an excited one that hardly any servers use ^.^ like a dark royal blue. Anything, but as long as it serves as something to recognize and appreciate our former staff members who have worked their butts off to make sure that yours stay safe.

The underlying point of this massive OP is to say this: "Hey, the staff deserve some recognition for what they've done, be it friend rank, VIP, a whole new rank dedicated to the ex-staff, or even a bolded green name, to just show that they have previously helped out the community (it doesn't have to have any more permissions than normal members, it could simply serve as recognition)."

Tryhard_Batman

Diamond
Reaction score
I completely agree ^_^. Even if it is only the bold green name, they deserve at least that much recognition for their hard work.

KyleD

Career
Reaction score
I completely agree ^_^. Even if it is only the bold green name, they deserve at least that much recognition for their hard work.
As much as the bold green name is a good idea, that won't happen due to it being too similar to the administrative staff name style. The bold colour could also be abused in some cases to make the ex staff look more powerful than they actually are.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
To those who think that Friend rank is a perk of being a staff member once you retire - it's not. Some of the best moderators (IMO) that this community has ever seen have not received Friend Rank after resigning, whereas others have. It depends on your relationship with the senior staff/administrators, how long you served, and how well you served as a staff member.
(Senior staff, don't even try to tell me it's not based off of their relationship with you. pls&thnx, i rly wont listen.)
Friend rank is a privilege, not a right.
Those who have the rank bestowed upon them are not guaranteed that they will keep the rank. (From what I know.) It's simply become something that the community assumes; that Friend is synonymous with Ex-Staff.
If you resign on bad terms with the rest of the staff team, or are demoted, then you will not receive it unless you are still friends with some of the Sr. Staff or Admins, because then you're, obviously, a "Friend".

I personally think that Ex-Staff members (who are not demoted) should receive some sort of rank, if they have handled X number of Report Abuses AND/OR been a Moderator for X amount of months. Until recently, that rank would have been Friend.
Honestly, I don't see why they can't just have Friend. VIP and Friend are very similar, but do have small differences. (I think VIP has things like silent join.) The only reason that a new rank would be justified would be if it had different perks than VIP, Friend, AND all Donor Ranks.

One question I've had for over a year is: Why haven't HalfSquirrel and Duckluv321 received VIP? (I'm not sure if Duck is/was a Friend as an ex-staff.) They've helped the community, namely the forum community, more than many staff members.

Fun fact: while I was typing this, my little sister dropped something hollow on my family's baby duck. He's unharmed, but freaked out. duckluv321
this distracted me from writing so now i lost my train of thought ;c

Fax

Career
Reaction score
Just a small correction but when the first mods began to resign in 2012 they were given VIP as a thank you. Then early-mid 2013 Friend rank was made as MCSG had grown massively because I assume the administrative team wanted more definition between ex-staff and Youtubers for example. My opinion is that retired staff should be recognised through a rank or something as it is a very demanding position; obviously, I'm biased :)

Tryhard_Batman

Diamond
Reaction score
Just a small correction but when the first mods began to resign in 2012 they were given VIP as a thank you. Then early-mid 2013 Friend rank was made as MCSG had grown massively because I assume the administrative team wanted more definition between ex-staff and Youtubers for example. My opinion is that retired staff should be recognised through a rank or something as it is a very demanding position; obviously, I'm biased :)
At least you stated that you were biased :p. Much respect.

le quack

Platinum
Reaction score
Just don't over complicate things and leave it how its meant to, Give back their ranks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci