• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Ping, and it's importance in Minecraft

Do you agree?

• Total voters

Kminer56

Platinum
Reaction score
yey more ideas

So a lot of people complain about ping, talk about ping, there's just so much involvement of ping in the community. I have had varying opinions about this topic over the past few years, but here's what I think about it right now.

Is ping a significant factor? Yes, like in any other game, ping gives you an advantage because you have the opportunity to respond to the server faster than other players.

How significant is it? Well, I don't know what it is, but MCSG seems to compensate for the OPness (hehe) of ping. I don't really think anyone should be complaining if they are able to get decent hits the majority of the time. You can compensate for your ping disadvantage if it's only a small one with rods, bows, and flamey fires. When it's a larger disadvantage, say 150, it's a lot harder to compensate for due to the unpredictability of the lag, and the simple gap of advantage between two players.

What should I do if I have bad ping? Well, at the end of the day, you're the one playing the server. If you're just gonna sit around moaning about how people are only better than you because they're, "pingers," all you're doing is causing unneeded drama and pissing everyone off. If you really feel like your ping isn't good enough to seriously play the server, play another server. In my experience, ping below 90 doesn't cause too bad of a disadvantage and ping below 60 is unnoticeable.

To sum it up, I don't think ping should be such a huge topic in the community. If you have ping bad enough that you think it's worth complaining about, don't play the server, or don't bother talking about it if you still enjoy the server. Yes, ping can influence the gameplay, but you're the one deciding whether or not to play, so make the right choice.

Opinions?

Upward

Platinum
Reaction score
I agree. Ping can give you a slight advantage, but it's not a HUGE advantage. I can talk about both sides. When I use to live in Chicago, I got around 110 ping. When I moved back to Las Vegas, I got my normal 50 back. I do equally as good with bad ping as I do with good ping. I do not believe it's as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

I don't think its worth wasting time to complain about it. At the end of the day, it comes down to how good you are in the actual game.

Kminer56

Platinum
Reaction score
I agree. Ping can give you a slight advantage, but it's not a HUGE advantage. I can talk about both sides. When I use to live in Chicago, I got around 110 ping. When I moved back to Las Vegas, I got my normal 50 back. I do equally as good with bad ping as I do with good ping. I do not believe it's as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

I don't think its worth wasting time to complain about it. At the end of the day, it comes down to how good you are in the actual game.
I don't entirely agree with what you're saying, but in general I do. I think ping can be a significant factor, but it has to be really bad ping and you have to be really bad at coping with it.

Upward

Platinum
Reaction score
I don't entirely agree with what you're saying, but in general I do. I think ping can be a significant factor, but it has to be really bad ping and you have to be really bad at coping with it.
I completely agree.

Electrix

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what ping you get; your connection is either great, fine, or bad IMO. I don't care if the weather's bad, I'm still playing because the game is still fine.

Ichengo

Survivor
Reaction score
I don't play MCSG that often, (Nexus mostly)
and I have ran into people with bad ping (150ms) who can STILL take me out (19ms)

so I agree that ping doesn't matter. HOWEVER; it still has a role in PvP.
someone with 30-50ms vs someone with 600-900ms, who do you think would win? thats where skill comes in.
Nexus I get 19ms at best, and 900ms at worse. MCSG I get 47ms at best, and 1kms at worse.

I don't know where I'm going with this anymore, I'd have to think really hard to remember what my debate was, but Ping does matter in a sense. I think hit-direction also helps.

idk anymore, can't think straight. -.-

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci