• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Peer Pressure- Its Power

Avesu

Career
Reaction score
peer pres·sure
noun
noun: peer pressure
  1. influence from members of one's peer group.
It can be a wonderful thing, as in your friends getting you to try a new resterarant, or food. But it can also be a horrible thing, as in your friends getting you to do drugs or other illegal activities.

I'm not here to explain what it is, but I do have a story, a true story. Its the story of a mid who used to go to my school.

At my school there was a kid named Jabin, who was the most educated kid in the school on history. Very smart, intelligent. Had a future. He did look a bit akward with super long, "rug" hair, claiming that his religion wouldn't allow him to cut it off. Throughout the whole sixth grade, this was the Jabin people knew.

Then came 7th grade, and he started mingling around the "popular" kids. Slowly but surely, Jabin changed. He cut his hair short, he got new shoes, shoes that are considered "cool." After a while he started not wearing uniform, instead he wore those athletic shirts. Like Under Armour and stuff.

So fast toward to about now, when he's changed himself to be "cool."

HE GETS EXPELLED.

He brings a 6-inch knife to school to help this kid in a fight. If the kid loses, the knife will be used.

The point of this is to show you to be yourself and make your own choices. Jabin is just an example of the tons of teens that give in to peer pressure.

-Austin

NuJaan

Diamond
Reaction score
Reserved for long post later.

EDIT:

Ah, peer pressure. The thing that can, in my eyes, make or break your childhood. Personally, I do not feel as if I succumb to peer pressure. However, I cannot say the same for those around me.

I've seen countless amounts of people get washed up through peer pressure. People who have been in the top of their grade only a few years before, are now near the bottom. They have been taking part in things like stealing (which they did get caught for) which I know these people would not have even considered doing a few years ago. All because of two words; peer pressure.

Peer pressure can be more toxic than people think. Peer pressure can occur in the smallest or the largest forms. Examples can be as simple as your friend wanting to go running, and them peer pressuring you to go because you don't want to go on their own or as large as your friend pressuring you to get involved in alcohol, drugs or even worse.

The advice I can give about peer pressure is, be a leader. Sure, it's pretty hard at first. But people will start to realize that you can be "cool" without having to take part in these activities people have deemed to be "cool," Also, learning how to say NO is very helpful in peer pressure. If you understand when to back off and say no, peer pressure will start to become a lot less on your shoulders.

With that being said, I leave you with this quote.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited:

ZachPlayzMC

Platinum
Reaction score
That is sad that all that happened over peer-pressure.

Good Story, but a sad ending (I guess thats an ending?).

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
All I can say is people change... There have been multiple people I know that have changed a lot over the years, and I'd tell you to expect more people to change. Maybe not this drastically, but later on people might not be exactly how you remembered them.

Pearlyyy

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
This makes me really depressed that people have to change in order for someone to like them, especially to the point where violence is the only solution. People, like Jabin, need to learn that no matter where he stands in the hierarchy, he should never have to change to become something that isn't him.

ProfessorRetro

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
If someone can't accept you for who you are, then don't change yourself, but change who you're around with.

OhFancy

District 13
Reaction score
It is really sad that people change over something so simple, such as peer pressure. It is also really sad that it may even come to the point where violence is involved because of it. People do change- some for the good and some for the bad. I know a lot of people that have changed for the bad and are no longer my friends. I have even been told that I have 'changed' for the worse. I had never realised it.

bridgedragon

Diamond
Reaction score
This this this and this. Why change who you are? If people pressure you into things that are bad why do them.? Why are they your friends in the first place? You are best at being yourself, not being someone else.
Sad story also.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci