• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Overall Leaderboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcfcAnt

Platinum
Reaction score
In the leaderboard reset thread it was announced that there will also be a leaderboards showing peoples OVERALL stats. Explaining to use that there will be a leaderboard that still updated with our old stats.

Where is it?

Yes I know there's a legacy leaderboard (Which by the way, is completely hidden). However, there's still no 'overall' leaderboard as they said there would be.

I assume I'm going to get people telling me to be patient but as I was one of them against the leaderboard reset, the things they promised us to try 'keep all sides happy' haven't been implemented at all.

The stats command for legacy stats/overall stats, and no overall leaderboard just a very well hidden legacy leader board which by the way, no one will use because, why would they?

Edit:
I also hate how you made the legacy leaderboard only show 10 results per page, I was extremely happy being on the 1st page of the leaderboard now I can't even do anything to get there. Ridiculous.

Stephanie

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Probably just wait, since they are still twerking stuff on the forums, making sure everything is working correctly. They know that everyone wants the overall leaderboards so.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
This leaderboard is coming, the devs haven't forgotten about it.

largoodie

Platinum
Reaction score
I agree with this statement. I think they should have the overall games won on the /stats command. I spent 2 years getting 1300 wins and I would like for people to see them.

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
Truthfully, I too was very curious to know about the Overall Leaderboard. As the Admin who oversaw the drama of the Leaderboard Reset arguments and who announced the Overall Leaderboard idea, I will admit I felt rather invested in that board.

I asked the Devs about what happened with the Overall Leaderboard. I'll summarize the story they told me.

The idea and confidence behind the Overall Leaderboard, which would add the Legacy Leaderboard with the New Leaderboard, was born out of an idea that Gideon had about how the data would be handled. It would stream-line the data coming in and how it was processed, and thus output the data in a manner that was simple and quick without impacting performance. It was applying the same efficient processes that now make up the new Leaderboards to combining the data of two leaderboards at once.

Testes on the test site were promising. Thousands of points of artificial data from two made-up leaderboards were successfully combined. It was from that that result that made everyone feel confident enough that the Overall leaderboards would be practical enough to add. After the combination procedure was coded, it was put on a shelf until it was time to start combining the actual data for the actual Overall leaderboards; the Devs then put their time into the more intensive server projects, like the Dailies, Weeklies, and Seasonal leaderboards.

The problem, as usually is around here, is the matter of the up-scaling, making sure that the process works in the smaller test system as well as it does on the real world system. And it's never something you expect.

On the day leading up to the roll out of the update, the Devs ran the process to construct the Overall Leaderboards from the real world data. Only then did they run into some dramatic problems. Firstly, the actual process of combining the data was flawless, but it ran into issues when processing the sheer amount of data it was being given for real. Secondly, issues with sorting of the Legacy Leaderboards and the New Leaderboards further confounded correct data collation, so erroneous values were being given between each leaderboard. Lastly (of the issues they identified thus far), the rapid updating of the new Leaderboard system is actually messing up the data being combined; from the start of the end of it, the New Leaderboards would have updated several times over, meaning the data from the start of the sort is different from the end of the sort, which creates a host of data issues that would compound as time goes on.

I guess when you're handling over 9,000,000 points of sorted data (3 million per leaderboard plus the overall leaderboard), performance and data handling become central to stable operations.

Because the announcement and planned downtime was already scheduled and announced, it was too soon to call all of it off. It did not feel right to continue putting all of the more major functions on hold for so long just to make sure this one was finished. We did not want to detract from the good feelings from the update, so it was decided to let everyone enjoy the shiny new features they've been expecting for ages whilst the Devs try to churn out practical alternative process to create the Overall Leaderboards.
I know it's probably not the answer everyone was hoping for, but it's the one I was told. We can only hope that they find a workable solution soon.

Vigilo

District 13
Reaction score
Truthfully, I too was very curious to know about the Overall Leaderboard. As the Admin who oversaw the drama of the Leaderboard Reset arguments and who announced the Overall Leaderboard idea, I will admit I felt rather invested in that board.

I asked the Devs about what happened with the Overall Leaderboard. I'll summarize the story they told me.

I know it's probably not the answer everyone was hoping for, but it's the one I was told. We can only hope that they find a workable solution soon.
Have you noticed that this is your 1000th post? :O

bcfcAnt

Platinum
Reaction score

Well thanks for the response, at least I have an idea now of why it hasn't happened yet. I honestly hope that a solution is found because that was the only feature what I was looking forward to as I was (and still am) against the reset.

This thread can be closed if you wish.

arsenal

District 13
Reaction score

Col_StaR How about for each player you just show their total wins and total games played across both leaderboards on their individual stat page instead of an individual leaderboard. That way you just add up two number for wins and two numbers for games played per player, rather than sort thousands of pieces of information. Most players from what I have seen are more concerned about losing their ratio or their 100o wins or something like that rather than their position on the leaderboard. Unfortunately, players like bcfcAnt and the other players from the top page will be a little upset that they aren't on the front page of the current leaderboard anymore, but unfortunately sometimes its difficult to honor everyones needs.

Like I said earlier on a different thread. Maybe we should make the legacy leaderboards shown on the main leaderboard page along with the other leaderboards, so the legacy leaderboard get more recognition.

A

Axel | PlazaGames

I know that you are literally pissed off because of the stats reset.
But the leaderboard update is an huge update, and it doesn't just take 1 day.
They are still working on updating and finishing the leaderboards, so we am enjoy it as members.

Remember to be patient, otherwise have a wonderful day at the MCGamer Network! :)

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
Well thanks for the response, at least I have an idea now of why it hasn't happened yet. I honestly hope that a solution is found because that was the only feature what I was looking forward to as I was (and still am) against the reset.

This thread can be closed if you wish.
You and I are of the same mind, mate.

Col_StaR How about for each player you just show their total wins and total games played across both leaderboards on their individual stat page instead of an individual leaderboard. That way you just add up two number for wins and two numbers for games played per player, rather than sort thousands of pieces of information. Most players from what I have seen are more concerned about losing their ratio or their 100o wins or something like that rather than their position on the leaderboard. Unfortunately, players like bcfcAnt and the other players from the top page will be a little upset that they aren't on the front page of the current leaderboard anymore, but unfortunately sometimes its difficult to honor everyones needs.

Like I said earlier on a different thread. Maybe we should make the legacy leaderboards shown on the main leaderboard page along with the other leaderboards, so the legacy leaderboard get more recognition.
An interesting work-around. I'll talk to KP, see if he can set something up.

Since there's not much more to be said on the matter currently, I will lock the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci